Having a packing panic-someone help

Laurba99

It's been 13 yrs since I've been on a 7 night cruise and first packing for my child too. I can't figure out how to fit everything- in my mind I need a day and night outfit for each day but how can I fit shoes and fourteen outfits? My parents are diamond and said they do laundry by the bag so how would you pack? Do you repeat the clothes at night? My day clothes will not be wearable again unless washed. Thanks in advance!! I take one larger size bag and a carry on size (on the bigger side and expandable for my son. DH has own bag and never has packing issues :)

It's allure of seas so I know I need some formal wear

Too but I like to do a casual version but still nice

It's been 13 yrs since I've been on a 7 night cruise and first packing for my child too. I can't figure out how to fit everything- in my mind I need a day and night outfit for each day but how can I fit shoes and fourteen outfits? My parents are diamond and said they do laundry by the bag so how would you pack? Do you repeat the clothes at night? My day clothes will not be wearable again unless washed. Thanks in advance!! I take one larger size bag and a carry on size (on the bigger side and expandable for my son. DH has own bag and never has packing issues :)

For a one week cruise, I take two pairs of black slacks for every non-formal night. I can wear each pair twice without laundering -- or can put them in the laundry by the bag later in the week. I take five tops for the non-formal evenings -- all that go with black slacks. I take one pair of black velvet slacks that I can wear on Formal Nights -- along with two black velvet tops. I wear a dressy pair of black flats that night, and dressy, but not too dressy, black flats the other nights.

For daytime, I take two pairs of black capris and one pair of white capris. Again, I send them to the laundry after mid-week so that they can be worn again. Black and white tops and something with a little more color to wear with the white capris is all I take for the daytime. A neutral colored pair of sandals go with the black or white capris -- and then a good walking shoe for port visits. Throw in a couple of bathing suits and that's it for my clothing.

Investing in the laundry by the bag makes packing sooooo much easier!!!

My hubby and I have a standard rule -- having access to a self-service laundry. We just did a 13 day road trip with our college daughter along for most of that for her spring break....and each of the hotels we booked at had a self-service laundry room (also a mini fridge and microwave) even though we did laundry only twice. Same thing with cruise ships. Even then, some pairs of slacks I wore twice before washing. Our next road trip, space will even more critical as my daughter will need a lot of trunk room to bring home everything.

In your case, you won't have that option. Are there some items that you can wash in the sink in your bathroom? Maybe think about different tops (as they take less space than slacks) that you can match with fewer bottoms. That way, you won't have to change your entire outfit. Go with a gauzy skirt that you can wear in port and at dinner. Bring bottoms that would be work for formal nights with a sparkly top added. Think cocktail length as that will be easier to find room in your suitcase. Limit shoes to a pair of walking shoes, dressy sandals, casual sandals. Our last three cruises were two-week ones and that's all the shoes I brought. And we were being driven to the port so it wasn't a matter of weight for a flight.

For a child, you might need a few more shirts (spilling issues, etc.), but you won't need formal wear for a child, just nice clothes.

Thank you. This is really helpful. I feel so dumb because it's my 7th cruise but the last 5 have been so short and I don't have a lot of clothes that I like the way they fit so I do laundry very often. Now I bought some more but Capri pants take up so much room and I wear casual ones by day and nicer for night and I think how can I fit toiletries and hair dryer and flat iron and meds and sunscreen and sunglasses etc etc!! ;). Do I need to bring a dryer. I can maybe use theirs and then fix with flat iron? I have very long thick hair :(

Relax, breathe.

You will not need separate 7 day outfits and 7 evening outfits. Think of how you dress at home. Take a couple of pairs of shorts, a couple of pairs of capris, a couple of pairs of nice slacks. Once you have that set - then work on your tops. Black and white t-shirts, a couple of "bridge blouses" (to go casual or dressy), and then a couple of dressy blouses to go with a nice pair of black slacks.

Things have changed since you cruised 13 years ago. Don't worry about a gown or beaded dress - you won't see many (or any). Cruising today is a lot more casual, in recognition of people's life styles and airline baggage restrictions.

We just got off a cruise on Saturday and I can't remember what anyone was wearing. Just enjoy yourself, and your vacation with your family.

Oh, and think about getting Ziploc "Space Bags", especially for the baby's stuff. You will be able to compact 6" worth of clothing down to 3", a great space saver. Best of all, your clothing won't wrinkle.

Have a great cruise!!

I think pre-child I enjoyed a full suitcase plus carry on for the extras but now with child he gets the carry on and I stick everything in one bag so not as easy but I have to remember that his stuff doesn't take up as much room

So I can use his bag for my left over stuff

I have 3 pr dress slacks (wear twice unless I spill my food)

3-4 dressy tops

3 pr daytime slacks

4 tops

1 pr shorts

1 bathingsuit /cover up

1 pr of jeans to wear there & back/long sleeve top

1 pr dress sandals for evening

1 pr sandals for day wear

1 pr walking shoes which I wear on the plane

Just packed for a 3 week cruise & will do laundry as needed

Do you two different outfits a day for seven days now?

On the first cruise we took our boys (twins) on, they were 9 years old. It was a 7 day cruise on RCCL to the Caribbean. I packed too much! Now I know to plan on doing the $25 laundry bag mid week and pack less (because really, 14 pair of underwear?!?).

Two years ago we were on the Oasis and they were 12. My advice is to pack one collared shirt and one pr of pants for your son for formal nights.

This will be our third cruise with them on April 2nd and for each kiddo I'm packing: 1 pr pants, 2 pr nicer shorts, 2 pr athletic shorts, 4 T-shirts, 3 nice shirts, bathing suit and swim shirt, 5 pr undies, 3 pr socks, deck shoes and tennis shoes. And I will do laundry mid-week.

For me, I'm a big believer in laying out everything I think I want to pack about a week out. Then I continue to go through it and weed out the things I really won't wear. I usually get it down to a reasonable amount!

Good luck and have a great time! When do you sail?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For ship laundry only send out sturdy, pre washed clothes. Ships wash and dry on hot. Also everything goes thru a mangle.

Toiletries--

Rethink you're beauty routine.

No need to bring 8oz of shampoo when an 3oz will do. Buy small or decant into smaller containers. Bring just enough plus a little extra.

Share what you can.

Edited by SadieN

You are packing way too much! Our last cruise bf and I shared a carry on and had a backpack each for an 11 night cruise and there was still stuff I didn't wear! First thing's first, is you need to prepare a capsule collection. Everything you bring can be mixed and matched with each other. If you are the type that likes to have a different outfit each day, this really works and saves space.

For example, if you like earth tones, everything goes together and matches. Keep patterned clothes to a minimum unless you like to match pattern on pattern, it works on some people. If you like color, bring all neutral bottoms and colored tops. A casual dress can also double as a skirt if you put a top on top. On the Allure there are only 2 formal nights, so wear the same thing on each night. No need to bring two outfits. What happens to us on almost every cruise is we do the first formal night and aren't really feeling it for the second so even if we had brought two formal outfits, we wouldn't have worn it. Even better is if you can dress up a more casual outfit for formal night so you don't have to bring a gown or cocktail dress. Many women wear dressy slacks and a sparkly top. It's a lot more casual than years ago.

Shoes by far take up the most room, so I would do one pair of dressy shoes, one pair for pool/water/beach, and one pair for walking/hiking/sneakers. Wear your bulkiest shoes so you don't have to pack them. And perhaps I don't need to tell you this, but don't pack platform shoes. I should have known, or someone should have told me LOL.

I also agree with looking at your toiletries. Make sure DH isn't packing toothpaste if you already are. I've found that even 1 oz or less of a product is sufficient for one week. If you live near a sephora, go in and ask for samples of your product. They will give you some in a small container and bring that. It lasts longer than you think. Or if you are like me and hoard free samples they send you with each online order, you'll probably have plenty of those sample packets laying around. A few weeks ahead, you can try out putting your shampoo, etc in those small travel containers and see how long it lasts you at home. You'd be surprised how long they do last.

I never bring a hair dryer bc my hair is thin and dries quickly. The cabin driers work fine. Some people hate them, and if you are very particular about your drier, then by all means bring it, but know that it is taking up room. If DH has big feet, put the nose of the dryer into the shoe.

I am a converted over packer. I see it as a game and a challenge now! Each time we pack less and less, and still there are things we don't end up using or wearing.

The hairdryers aren't good for thick hair...bring your own.

You will spend most of the day in swimsuit/shorts....you don't need to be "dressy" during the day at all! Rewear stuff, unless you spill!!!

I always bring too many shoes...I'm in flip-flops all day, so I don't need other sandals. Shoes for dinner is all I really need!

My bag is much larger than his so with his stuff he has no extra room

For our stuff but at least he is a good

Packer and does it himself ;) I hear some people pack for their husbands-can't imagine!

This is immensely helpful. I have overpacked and I have also been in the situation where I didn't bring enough of something and it really upsets me so

I have to know what those

Items are. I tend to wear nice quality tank tops alone over a bathing suit or under reg shirts just like that feel- so

That should make me able

To reuse some tops

My bag is much larger than his so with his stuff he has no extra room

For our stuff but at least he is a good

Packer and does it himself ;) I hear some people pack for their husbands-can't imagine!

This is immensely helpful. I have overpacked and I have also been in the situation where I didn't bring enough of something and it really upsets me so

I have to know what those

Items are. I tend to wear nice quality tank tops alone over a bathing suit or under reg shirts just like that feel- so

That should make me able

To reuse some tops

I'm one of those people who packs for their husband. And I do this why? Because I don't want to hear on day 2 - "Why do I have 20 shirts and no pants?! OMG why didn't I pack more socks and underwear?!" in panic mode. It's not bad packing for two, and I love organizing and packing our stuff (gets me in the cruise mood!), while he hates it. He on the other hand is the supreme budgeter, he makes sure there is enough $$$ planned for us to have a good time and not break the bank.

My natural inclination is to bring something different for every day and evening (plus extras), but I don't like paying the extra weight charges on Delta so have had to cut back.

I take a lot of casual clothes and plan to wear things like capris and skirts for dinner one evening, then with a different top during the day on another day. Double duty.

As much as I'd like to bring a different dress for every evening, I don't - because there are so many evenings when I want to stay casual, or don't feel like going through the hassle of getting all done up.

I cut way back on my shoes. Really, I'm the only one who notices when I wear different shoes, in spite of my thinking that EVERYONE will be looking at my shoes.

Workout clothes & bathing suits get washed in the sink. I bring enough for 2 different days, then wash out and hang to dry in the shower. You can buy travel sized packets of Tide all over the place, or use the laundry sheets available for camping.

I do send things to the laundry and will budget $50 for this if we don't have sufficient coupons. If I have something that could be damaged by hot water, I have it dry cleaned instead. In 20 cruises, nothing has been ruined.

I no longer carry a lot of jewellery, or evening bags or any of that stuff. For toiletries I now find a drugstore or grocery store and buy travel sized bottles after I've landed. Of course there are some things that I carry, but I'd rather spend $10 on disposable stuff and have a bit more space/less weigh to haul around.

If you love clothes then it's tough to cut back. On some cruises I miss certain items, but it doesn't ruin the trip.

Good luck!

I'm one of those people who packs for their husband. And I do this why? Because I don't want to hear on day 2 - "Why do I have 20 shirts and no pants?! OMG why didn't I pack more socks and underwear?!" in panic mode.

LOL I can relate only my DH would pack 2 shirts & 2 pr of pants & call it done

:D

As far as tops go, you can where a casual top in the evening and it won't get sweated up. Then you can wear it with shorts the next day. That way it can serve double duty. Takes a little planning and forethought.

Don't forget swimsuit days. Throw on a swimsuit and shirt you cover up with for walking through the ship or eating and you're set until the evening. Look, one less day to plan for! :D

So wish I could do that. I'm not thin enough and it's not a vanity thing. I'd be in pain!