Shore Excursion Venice

plod1

Any comment on experience of the 'Doges Palace & Gondola Ride' VCE_012 shore excursion, please?

I'm considering this as an option from Queen Elizabeth on a Thursday in September.

Is it likely to still be very busy with tourists then and is the gondola ride motorised?

Thanks

--

plod

From experience, it was still busy in November in Venice! The quietest time is in the evening, when the day visitors have gone. Are you in Venice overnight?

The gondolers are not motorised.

You can walk along and just ask for a price and tell the gondolier where you'd like to go. They are at several locations in the city.

I would image that a ships's trip would be very busy with everyone boarding the gondolers in the same place and moving off together.

Hope that this helps.:)

Any comment on experience of the 'Doges Palace & Gondola Ride' VCE_012 shore excursion, please?

I'm considering this as an option from Queen Elizabeth on a Thursday in September.

Is it likely to still be very busy with tourists then and is the gondola ride motorised?

Thanks

--

plod

Just back from 2 days in Venice (via the Orient Express)

The place was very busy and we noticed traffic jams on the canals which were full of gondolas. It's very expensive, and all you will do is get a ride round the block.

You can do most places of interest yourself for half the price.

Stewart

Thanks

--

plod

Just back from 2 days in Venice (via the Orient Express)

The place was very busy and we noticed traffic jams on the canals which were full of gondolas. It's very expensive, and all you will do is get a ride round the block.

You can do most places of interest yourself for half the price.

Stewart

So much will depend on the time you have for your visit. I can only assume that you are sailing on Q615.

If the Doges Palace and a gondola ride are important to you, in that order, then my advice would be go with Cunard's excursion. That way your entrance, and transportation there, is guaranteed.

Alternatively you could book a Private Tour (Google the question) through one of the many websites that offer these: they also skip the line that BigMac mentions which will give you more free time later.

From this photograph you can judge what the line for entry looks like...

13947937125_e100c0af22_z.jpg

It's now your choice. You may find this review of Venice helpful, it was done from the cruise terminal...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/04/22/one-way-to-do-venice/

I have done this tour. The Palace was good but many stairs - ended over the Bridge of Sighs. I knew I would be disappointed by the gondola ride and I was right. 6 people per gondola and did not feel very safe but it's off my bucket list.

Thanks

--

plod

Here is the CC link for the best Gondola tour, with the first femail pilot.

Take a tour with a difference

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2324767

The photograph above, with the queue going to the left, is to get into St Marks's. The Doge's Palace queue is around the corner and it's never that bad. You don't need a tour; there are extensive notes in every room and area of interest.

Last time I was in a Gondola it was €70 for 40 minutes-day price, evening is more expensive. If you want to do it, walk back from St Mark's Square to the left a few streets as it's a bit quieter at the station beside the Bauer hotel. You can state whether or not you want to go on the Grand Canal or not. Gondoliers are highly trained-killing tourists is not good business!

Save some euros, or a lot of euros, for coffee at Florian's. It's expensive but a great experience. Looking at the Cunard tour prices, you'd be much better off yourselves. Doge's Palace was €14 last time there and free for EU citizens if pensioners and had proof of age. Enjoy!

Thank you all for your helpful replies. The links to the female gondolier's website and Solent Richard's blog have been particularly helpful.

Cunard have this excursion scheduled for 0930 to 1400 and QE departs afternoon so sadly no opportunity to benefit from a quieter evening ashore and not very long in port to spend time queuing on an independent itinerary.

So, it seems that Cunard will be getting my booking and are likely to make even more profit in the Commodore Club at sailaway!

Cheers.

--

plod