What currency for tips? And hair dryers or curling irons?

Tampa Girl

There is the daily tip that will be on your statement and come off your credit card. If you want to tip anyone above this, crew is happy with US dollars. DH and I are American and have always tipped with dollars on Cunard ships. But, if you are returning from UK and had extra pounds, I doubt they would be refused.

There are electrical outlets in cabins which will work with your US curling iron and hair dryer.

Happy sailing, Tampa Girl!

If you need to style your hair, rather than just blast it dry, I would definitely take your own dryer. The one provided is pretty basic and I don't think would be effective for a proper blow-dry.

Have a lovely, and perfectly coiffed, time!

I am sure that this has been already discussed, but I could not find it. Do we use GBP or US$ to tip?

We've tipped in USD, GBP and Euros. None has ever been refused! All can easily be used by the crew.

Stewart

Edited by BigMac1953

We tend to tip in the currency of the area that the ship is based in for the season. If UK, British pounds and if the Med euros. After speaking to reception last year and asking for details of how the tips were split we made the decision to leave 50% of suggested tips on our account for Cunard to use as they see fit and the other 50% rounded up placed in envelopes with a little thank you for our cabin steward and dining room waiters. I know lots of crew send money home for their families but they also need cash to spend in port so feel that local currency is a good choice.

I like to take my own hair dryer and straighteners and have been prepared to lose a pair of shoes to ensure I can take them. It did upset my husband a little when he came to look for his alternative shoes but we all have to make sacrifices for the greater good at times :D

We tend to tip in the currency of the area that the ship is based in for the season. If UK, British pounds and if the Med euros. After speaking to reception last year and asking for details of how the tips were split we made the decision to leave 50% of suggested tips on our account for Cunard to use as they see fit and the other 50% rounded up placed in envelopes with a little thank you for our cabin steward and dining room waiters. I know lots of crew send money home for their families but they also need cash to spend in port so feel that local currency is a good choice.

I like to take my own hair dryer and straighteners and have been prepared to lose a pair of shoes to ensure I can take them. It did upset my husband a little when he came to look for his alternative shoes but we all have to make sacrifices for the greater good at times :D

Cute!

• 3 weeks later...

We always leave all the tips on our cabin account(unless we have a problem with our cabin steward) and then give extra to all those crew members that did special things for us. All personal preferences.

Money is money. It can always be exchanged or used in ports. On my Baltic cruise some years ago (when I was extremely new to tipping) I kept on the auto-tips but then used all my excess currency as tips to steward and waiters. It was in a variety of Baltic currency that I had bought in the UK before sailing. Because I used up excess currency, I ended up giving more as a tip than I would have if I'd used my UK or USA money. What the stewards lacked in convenience, they made up for in amount. My hope was that when they next visited those locations, they would be able to go out and buy themselves or their family a treat.

We tend to tip in the currency of the area that the ship is based in for the season. If UK, British pounds and if the Med euros. After speaking to reception last year and asking for details of how the tips were split we made the decision to leave 50% of suggested tips on our account for Cunard to use as they see fit and the other 50% rounded up placed in envelopes with a little thank you for our cabin steward and dining room waiters. ...

So on some level you disagreed with Cunard's gratuity distribution to the crew. Your approach may have backfired.

By reducing your on board gratuities by 50% that meant a lot of behind scenes crew members got less. The crew members whom you gave envelopes to may have to turn them in since you reduced your amount.

If you felt your steward and waiters deserved more it's better to leave the auto gratuities in place and give extra to those whom you feel deserve more. (And be sure to leave a You Have Been A Star comment on their card.)