Dancing on the Queen Elizabeth in June

EmptyNesting

First time on Cunard this June and one reason we selected the line is their reputation for ballroom dancing. We are beginner/intermediate social dancers and are eager to see if they live up to their reputation. Do they play a variety of music, including Latin and Tango as well as the usual Waltz and Foxtrot? Do they provide lesson opportunities? Live band or recorded? Is the floor full of advanced dancers, intimidating the less experienced? Most ships have small (tiny) dance floors, the QE looks to have a very generous sized floor. Does it get crowded?

All comments welcome.

QE June 14th Fjords sailing

While each of the Cunard Ships has it's own personality they are more alike than different, as the Cunard policies are the same fleet-wide. You might find some of the comments in this thread of interest:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2257566

Enjoy your cruise, enjoy dancing on your cruise!.

Thanks for the link!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=EmptyNesting&date=6-14-2016&text=&ship=Queen Elizabeth

Thought I'd add my two cents worth - we love ballroom dancing. We are beginner/intermediate dancers and we enjoyed cruising on the QE in Jan/Feb of this year. Our reasons for choosing Cunard was the prospect of enjoying the dancing every evening. Well, we were not disappointed. The live band plays for 45 minutes then there is recorded music. They played all types - quick step, waltz, cha cha, rumba and some tango. the dance hosts were lovely. I enjoyed dancing with them when DH was busy talking to a new found friend. We loved the dance classes with the professional couple on board and loved watching their performance on sea days.

The floor does get a bit crowed at times - if it does then just enjoy sitting down to watch others. It doesn't stay crowded for too long.

It was so nice to dress up each evening, have a few dances, go to dinner and then enjoy more dancing. We then went to the disco for more dancing. We have now booked another Cunard cruise next year and can't wait.

I hope you enjoy yourselves as much as we did.

Thought I'd add my two cents worth - we love ballroom dancing. We are beginner/intermediate dancers and we enjoyed cruising on the QE in Jan/Feb of this year. Our reasons for choosing Cunard was the prospect of enjoying the dancing every evening. Well, we were not disappointed. The live band plays for 45 minutes then there is recorded music. They played all types - quick step, waltz, cha cha, rumba and some tango. the dance hosts were lovely. I enjoyed dancing with them when DH was busy talking to a new found friend. We loved the dance classes with the professional couple on board and loved watching their performance on sea days.

The floor does get a bit crowed at times - if it does then just enjoy sitting down to watch others. It doesn't stay crowded for too long.

It was so nice to dress up each evening, have a few dances, go to dinner and then enjoy more dancing. We then went to the disco for more dancing. We have now booked another Cunard cruise next year and can't wait.

We are probably more beginner than intermediate but I agree absolutely with everything Davelen has said. We started lessons after sitting watching the dancing on a few cruises. Have been learning for two years now and love it. We are booked on the fjord cruise after yours (in July) and are looking forwards to getting on the dance floor again. The mix of dances seems to vary with the band or singer who is on during your cruise but there is always a good mix. You might even find some sequence dancing during the live bands breaks.

Enjoy your cruise!

The comments on other threads about ballroom dancing on Cunard ships address all the questions you may have. Here is recent thread about QE and QV ballroom dancing, orchestra, vocalist, professtional dance couple on board, etc.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2304148&page=2

Good luck and enjoy the dancing on board.

Edited by tangoll
Correct link

This is a wonderful response and suggests we are going to have enjoyable cruise! We were hoping for lesson options, since we need to expand our collection of moves. Rumba and Cha Cha are favorites, but we would like to expand on our waltz and foxtrot, as well as night club 2 step. Thanks for the information!

The followingshort videos, shot onboard the Queen Elizabeth during her January 2014 winter crossing of the North Atlantic, will give you some idea of the size & configuration of the Queen's Room dance floor, as well as the mix of live and recorded music, the styles of dance, and range of attire you might encounter.:) Enjoy!