wine on the table?

yesididit

Hi,Please put my mind at rest? Just booked Queen Victoria, first time on Cunard. Read somewhere your bottle of wine isn't allowed on your table, it is whisked away out of sight. They tried to do this on P&O but I won! But alas it become a farce with the waiter sneaking up behind me and grabbing my bottle and forever topping my glass up, which I hated. I can do it myself thank you, hate having a continuity full glass.

So, is it true? Do I really have to make a scene again? Really don't like to. By the way, red wine so not in a chiller :)

You should only have the one sommelier for the whole voyage, so if you are drinking white wine and wish to have it on the table then ask and they will do it, otherwise it is placed nearby in an ice bucket. The red wine is usually left on the table but if you wish to poor your own just tell your sommelier and they will respect that. Same as Port, they may prefer to pour it and remove the bottle but once you ask can they leave it on the table until you go, then they will offer the next day too. I like the fact that they label your bottles and keep these over night and they are waiting for you again the next day. You can also arrange for them to be sent to other restaurants if dining elsewhere i.e. the Verendah Restaurant and you can send for them at lunch time too.

On another note about wine - We got a package on our last couple of cruises as Mrs Rakkor likes a glass with her meal, and I think it's quite good value compared with buying a separate bottle each night. For our October trip (17nights) I'm thinking of getting a 12 and 6 bottle package and using the extra bottle as Port as this is available in the Commodore pack which my missus can then have with cheese - I'm not a fan of it, so it, so it should last a fair few sittings, will they keep it for us for subsequent evenings ?

Hi

This is a bit of a silly question and excuse me for that

But

It's our first crossing / cruise and we are on a table of 8.

Is it acceptable to offer your wine to others or just keep it to ourselves initially?

With friends you would share the drinks bill and I am happy to think that after one or two evenings we will be make some friends and share drinks but for the first night or two what is "normal etiquette"?

The only time we have ever shared any wine was on a formal night on another cruise line. Our table companions offered us a glass of champagne from the bottle they had ordered, which was very generous. Mr HH signed our bill without his glasses and it was only when we got back to the cabin we realised that we had paid for the bottle !!

I am not sure what normal etiquette is but we have never offered to share.

The only time we have ever shared any wine was on a formal night on another cruise line. Our table companions offered us a glass of champagne from the bottle they had ordered, which was very generous. Mr HH signed our bill without his glasses and it was only when we got back to the cabin we realised that we had paid for the bottle !!

I am not sure what normal etiquette is but we have never offered to share.

Thanks Hattie.

Unfortunate tale about the champagne!!

I bet you checked the next bill or two 😀

I'll have a look at the wine packaged later , I'm thinking 6 bottles will do our evening meals. Be nice to bring a bottle back too I think

On the last night of my last cruise with P&O, I learnt that you can order wine prior to dinner on the telephone or at a bar. This was good due to the wine waiter being very late in visiting the tables, often near the end of the main course which is practically pointless and hugely frustrating. I assume similar is possible on Cunard?

On a different note. Car parking on the dock at 90 pound is a bit hefty, anyone use Parkupmystreet and finish with a taxi? I'm going to risk it :)

Hi

This is a bit of a silly question and excuse me for that

But

It's our first crossing / cruise and we are on a table of 8.

Is it acceptable to offer your wine to others or just keep it to ourselves initially?

With friends you would share the drinks bill and I am happy to think that after one or two evenings we will be make some friends and share drinks but for the first night or two what is "normal etiquette"?

Either is fine.

My wife tried to order a Wine Package today and was told the ordering line is down, it should be up at the end of the week but "don't hold your breath!"

I think Poseidon is saying " order on board" :)

It seems Cunard with the website and ordering line are not top of the IT leagues.