Day Rhone River Cruise - Hotels in Lyon, France near Port?

CindyJ

Hello,

We are looking for a comfortable and safe hotel to stay in for 1 night very near to the port where Monarch Countess will be (which I can not find an address - just know it's near the University of Lyon ... and on the River - Ha!). Would anyone have a recommendation? We are arriving 1 day early, we do not speak French, and a little nervous about getting to the port on our own.

Any tips on getting to the port? Nearby restaurants?

Our River Cruise will be in October.

Thank you,

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at Hotel Globe et Cecil, a Rick Steves recommendation and #1 on Trip Advisor -- located on the island that is the middle of Lyon, lovely hotel -- but we chose to take a cab to the ship.

We will be staying in Lyon following our cruise next month. We are staying at Hotel des Artistes, a recommendation from Rick Steves. We'll probably take a cab from the ship to the hotel.

Thank you all for your recommendations. We booked Hotel des Artistes. Valley Girl - would love your opinion on it after you stay next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
I'll be sure to let you know. I do write a travel blog and the hotel, with pictures , will be in the blog. Staying there on the 16th and 17th of September.

Jane

How was your trip, Jane?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

CindyJ, if your ship docks near the university, it's probably at Quai Claude Bernard. That's on the Rhône, just upstream from the confluence. There is a tram stop right there, also named Claude Bernard. There's also a bus from Place Bellecour near your hotel that goes by the dock. Public transport would cost you about €3 for two of you and would probably take 10 minutes. Your hotel staff would probably help you with this if you ask.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Edited by jpalbny

Hi!

The Hotel des Artistes was just fine, and a great location. We did not get their breakfast but instead at the end of the block, next to the river was a farmers market. It was there the three mornings that we were there. We got freshly baked pastries, juice, etc. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance particularly on Rue Mercier. One of our favorites was Bouchon Luster - about a 7 minute walk. We do not speak French and for the most part, had no problem. Make sure you tell the desk at the hotel that you'll be needing a taxi and they will call one for you. We took the taxi to the train station as we went to Paris afterwards. Most taxis do not take credit cards so make sure you have euros

We flew into Marseille and began our cruise there. I have just started by blog but here is the first post about the trip: https://airlandandsea.wordpress.com/2016/10/03/flights-and-preparing-for-our-trip-to-marseille-and-provence/ There are a few more after that.

One thing I would suggest - when you are Avignon make sure you go to the Marc Chagall show at the Luminieres. The tour was called The Artist Experience on our AMA ship. Not sure what they will call it on yours but whatever they call it, it is NOT to be missed.

Jane

• 3 months later...
We stayed at the Mercure adjacent to the train station. Clean, comfortable and convenient.

There are several Mercure Hotels. Hubby and I looking for three nights post Uniworld in Lyon. Thanks and any other suggestions you have for spending our time would be appreciated.

We preferred the Presqui'lle area north of Place des Jacobin. Pedestrian area, huge choice of restaurants and farmers' market on block away on the riverbank. Stayed at Citadine apartments, heating but no aircon so not good in summer.

Tourist Information in the main square has maps and information. We used hop-*****-hop-off bus to orientate then public transport and walking to visit or revisit. Metro, buses and trams are easy to use.

We loved Lyon, it is a beautiful city.