Norway - Hurtigruten booking question

brittial

Thinking about doing a coastal Norway cruise summer 2017 with Hurtigruten. Have done some research and talked to them. My question is: Has anyone booked this via "Vacations To Go," which will give me somewhat better pricing, instead of directly with Hurtigruten? Experience with Vacations To Go? Drawbacks booking that way (cabin selection, other issues)? I did read some comments on another thread, but all seemed to be 10+ years old and I'm looking for current feedback. Only previous cruise was a river cruise (Rhine), and since this is a trip we will not be repeating, I want to find the best options, I can. Thanks!

I recall once that we weren't supposed to talk about booking agencies on the board, because a lot of them are site sponsors and those that aren't are competitors of the site sponsors.

I don't know if that policy still stands, and I didn't see it mentioned in the posting rules sticky post, so...

I have booked with them twice. Once for a traditional cruise, and that was okay except for some minor issues (we requested being seated at a large table for late-seating dining, and the ship's maître d' received it as "early seating for 4." Luckily for us, he couldn't figure out who the other two people were supposed to be, so he was already prepared to reseat us as soon as we arrived.

The other time I booked with them was for an Antarctic expedition, and I was extremely disappointed. I explicitly asked about booking a once-in-a-lifetime excursion that I had my heart set on. They told me flat-out incorrectly that I would need to book that once I got to the ship. Not only was it completely booked full by that point, even if someone dropped out, I couldn't legally join the activity because the insurance details had to be cleared days before the ship left port. I was crushed, and in the end I didn't even get much of an apology from VTG. The expedition company apologized and offered me a small discount on another trip with them, but VTG just gave me a "The agent was misinformed. We apologize for the inconvenience."

I might still book a traditional cruise with them (with the knowledge that something can easily and likely get mixed up), but for other trips I would rather go straight to the company. Also, from my experience, their prices are sometimes listed without certain taxes or fees, so it ends up being roughly the same price to book elsewhere. Definitely request a quote from them before you rule out direct booking.

(FWIW - I'm headed back to Antarctica in a few weeks, and I'm traveling with Hurtigruten. The booking process was a tiny bit confusing, bu they have been extremely quick to reply to every questioned I've emailed them!)

I realize there may be other's experiences that are better, but I, personally, weigh any issues heavily, so your response has great bearing on my decision. Appreciate your details and thoughts on both your past experience and your new booking.

We booked a couple of ocean cruises with them and did not have any major issues. not much service aside from the initial booking but nothing super negative. However we have been consistently able to find better prices and better service from other agencies. I'd suggest googling a bit and coming up with something better.