Lofoten - Svolvaer Help

roothy123

Hi. Can anyone tell me where cruise ships generally tender their passengers in Svolvaer, preferably the name of a nearby street? I'm looking for car rental near that spot. Is it anywhere near the ferry port (or airport, which looks to be near the ferry port!)? I'm looking on Google Earth and can't really imagine where the tender dock may be.

Also, anyone have experience renting a car there? Terry from Ohio, can you help?

In August this year we tendered into the wharf area next to the Thon hotel. We were meant to dock there but they were setting up the area for the

Arctic triathalon the following day. We had a hire car booked with Lofoton car rental and were unsure where the pickup was so we walked to their main office near to where the car ferries came in (probably about a kilometer away). I think Hertz had an office nearby.

Hi. Can anyone tell me where cruise ships generally tender their passengers in Svolvaer, preferably the name of a nearby street? I'm looking for car rental near that spot. Is it anywhere near the ferry port (or airport, which looks to be near the ferry port!)? I'm looking on Google Earth and can't really imagine where the tender dock may be. Also, anyone have experience renting a car there? Terry from Ohio, can you help?

Appreciate this good question. For us in Svolvaer, we were docked. BUT, as they say in car ads about how mileage may vary, the same applies as to docking versus tendering. It depends on the number and size of ships in port for that specific day. Ports in Norway are smaller and more limited in docking space for larger ships compared to places in the Caribbean or Med.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 205,857 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Just to give a little more "evidence" that we were docked in Svolvaer, here below are some added visuals. In looking at Google maps, I can see where we dock west of main town and across the bridge shown below. It also looks as if added docking/port areas have been added in this town since our visit in July 2010. But as noted earlier, these ports are near geared to lots of ship tourist with many car rental locations right there at the dock places. Added questions, info needs?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,551 views for this posting.

Here are three additional visuals from when we were in Svolvaer. First shows our ship docked in the area just across the bridge from the main town. The second and third visuals shows that bridge, the scenic/dramatic mountains overlooking the town and then a wider shot showing that bridge and some of the houses/church in the town.:

Nov2016TravelA%20017_zpsuieh1be9.jpg

Nov2016TravelA%20019_zpsj0f4us8l.jpg

Nov2016TravelA%20020_zpsuxoybxzs.jpg