A moan and a request!

MBP&O2/O

I have taken the plunge and booked a Silverseas Cruise. It was on my ‘bucket list’ and the opportunity was right, but I must say that I am somewhat puzzled / disappointed by certain aspects of the booking procedure.

When I booked – last month – there was an offer on which was basically 10% off if you booked and paid in full by 31st October. That was not to be sniffed at!

I duly booked and paid the full amount as requested.

(1 The 10% was not 10%! My TA paid Silversea who refunded less than the amount stated of 10%. The refund difference was, in the grand scheme of things, minimal, some £42. When I queried this I was told that the discounted amount on the cruise does not include the cost of the port taxes and this is the difference from the £510 and £468. Naughty? I am sure this will be covered in the t&c’s but it is certainly not an ‘up front’ statement that I can see.:confused:

(2 Having duly paid the full amount before 31st October, I find that on 1st November the 10% offer is extended to 31st December! :(

I don’t begrudge the slight difference in refund, nor am I overly concerned at the unnecessary early payment but it does leave a slightly sour feeling. I think they could have be more open about both issues - but that is my opinion.

Having got that of my chest, does anyone have any idea as to where I could view any recent restaurant menu’s? I have searched high and low without success?

Thanks

Mike

Mike. We took advantage of the same program for a cruise in September of 2017 (which they also extended for another month!). I don't know if it is different because we are in the US or if it is different because we booked directly with Silversea. We received 10% off the total amount that was listed by Silversea. SS did not break the fare down by base, taxes, etc. When we book through our TA, our agent breaks down the fare by the base, taxes, etc. I am wondering if when going through your agent, the 10% is based on a 'base' fare because that is the amount that the agent's commission is based. We normally book with SS and then release the booking to our own agent. However, in this case the SS agent was able to offer us an additional $975 in shipboard credit.

Hope you get this sorted out to your satisfaction. We have had the good fortune to sail on SS, Seabourn, and Regent. We enjoy all of them for different reasons. You will have a wonderful experience on SS HAPPY SAILING!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have also been looking at the 'special offer' that Silversea are promoting of giving a 10% reduction if you pay in advance. A friend booked a Silversea cruise a few months ago and had to pay by end of September to get the 10% discount. And since then the offer has been extended again and again. I suspect once a cruise gets to within about 4 months of sailing, that offer will not be available, as you would have to pay in full by then anyway. But it is likely the base fare will then be reduced to balance for the withdrawn discount. I think it's just all about getting customers money up front well in advance of sailing, it's a lot cheaper than a bank loan for building the new Muse! We are very interested in a cruise on the Muse sailing late next year, but don't see why we should either pay in full now, or have to take a chance that the fare will be reduced anyway nearer the sailing date. We have almost 100 days sailing with Silversea, and have never come across this selling technique with them previously. Any thoughts from anyone?

Mike

I think you are getting mixed up.

The fare that Silversea quoted you that would have been the original fare less 10%

From this your TA has given you a small cruise reduction based on the commission that they earn.

They do not earn commission on Port Charges

To work out your cruise reduction your TA takes off the Port Charges from the Silversea fare quoted, then takes off the cruise reduction that they have given you. then adds back on the Port Charges to get the final amount. It has to be done this way due to no commission on Port Charges

It appears that you have a very poor "cruise reduction" from you TA

I do agree that it is very underhand to extend "the Offer" the day after the original ended

Correct ..... I do not understand.

The advertised fare on the website is £2550, they state quite clearly that there is a 10% discount for an early booking. The discounted fare shown is £2295, which suprisingly is a 10% discount.

The website advert does not state 10% less a bit here and there.

As stated it is not the money that irkes me, it is the way the whole deal has been done and it makes me wonder what other suprises they have in store!

Creative Accounting is a phrase that springs to mind.

I have asked SS for their comments.

I must remember their tactics and next time I sell something and offer 10% off I will 'forget' to mention that the discount is off the price ... Not the price plus vat!

Mike:)

All sounds a bit odd.

We have booked 2 cruises, one in 2017, one in 2018, directly with Silversea's UK office. Each one was priced at a given amount plus 10% early payment discount which was exactly 10% of the full price. No other charges were made or intimated and we also got our Venetian discounts on top plus some OBC.

I'd get back to the TA and demand an explanation.

The rolling deadline for booking to get the 10% is indeed an irksome thing. Silversea seems the have the DFS tactic of having a sale end one day and then start again the next!

Correct ..... I do not understand.

The advertised fare on the website is £2550, they state quite clearly that there is a 10% discount for an early booking. The discounted fare shown is £2295, which suprisingly is a 10% discount.

The website advert does not state 10% less a bit here and there.

As stated it is not the money that irkes me, it is the way the whole deal has been done and it makes me wonder what other suprises they have in store!

Creative Accounting is a phrase that springs to mind.

I have asked SS for their comments.

I must remember their tactics and next time I sell something and offer 10% off I will 'forget' to mention that the discount is off the price ... Not the price plus vat!

Mike:)

Perhaps you need to find a new TA, we have always found SS to be totally above board with these type of issues.

Perhaps you need to find a new TA, we have always found SS to be totally above board with these type of issues.

Agreed.

I booked my last cruise which was with Carnival in August through an Agent. The Role call was full of posts from members getting refunds on price reductions. I got nothing. My TA said Ive agreed a price and tough effectively.

Moving on, like you, I took advantage of the 10% off price and paid in full after they introduced a return airfare for £299 inc transfers. (That's flying London to San Juan and back from Miami. - The price booking direct with BA is £2500 for this fare!)

Anyway, we paid in full which was the advertised price as shown on the website and like the last time we booked direct, nothing further to pay.

A couple of months on, I noticed they were now giving a 2 category suite upgrade, so our Vista was now a Midship veranda on deck 7 upgraded free and after we'd paid in full.

If the 10% discount, the cheap airfare and 2 category upgrade wasn't enough, theyd also added a further promotion giving Venetian members a $1000 free onboard spend. The last 2 provided to me even though Id paid in full already.

It sounds very much like your TA has stitched you up not SS. The price SS display covers everything, so they need to be asked to explain these extras because SS don't charge it booking direct.

Edited by les37b

Thanks for the replies.

As I said, it is not the money .... £30 in the grand scheme of things won't break the bank ... it is the fact that something has been done tnat isn't as open as I would have liked.

I approached the TA in the first instance and was told "To clarify the discounted amount on the cruise does not include the cost of the port taxes and this is the difference from the £510 and £468."

I then put this to Silversea who said that is wrong and they have forwarded my email to the TA for their attention.

We shall see.

I shall watch for further offers with interest .... I have booked 718 on Silver Wind so there can't be many upgrades to add to that. The airfares issue sounds interesting. My local regional airport is Newcastle so I have a slight issue regarding suitable international connections - especially to San Juan. Any offers on that front will be closely scrutinised!:)

Mike

Thanks for the replies.

As I said, it is not the money .... £30 in the grand scheme of things won't break the bank ... it is the fact that something has been done tnat isn't as open as I would have liked.

I approached the TA in the first instance and was told "To clarify the discounted amount on the cruise does not include the cost of the port taxes and this is the difference from the £510 and £468."

I then put this to Silversea who said that is wrong and they have forwarded my email to the TA for their attention.

We shall see.

I shall watch for further offers with interest .... I have booked 718 on Silver Wind so there can't be many upgrades to add to that. The airfares issue sounds interesting. My local regional airport is Newcastle so I have a slight issue regarding suitable international connections - especially to San Juan. Any offers on that front will be closely scrutinised!:)

Mike

If your TA are trying to tell you the price doesn't include port taxes, then I think its pretty conclusive they are telling you porkies and keeping part of your savings for paying in advance. When I was booking, I was offered by the agent a further discount over and above this deal price. SS matched what I was offered and I booked direct. (I booked a hotel with them pre-cruise and ended up with a great deal over and above that too.)

When you say 718 - are you referring to 2718 Tower Bridge Baltic in June or suite 718? (I'm assuming the cruise!)

And if it is..... its a fantastic start and finish point. (Best there is IMHO.... but I'm bias as my office is just 50 yards away and window has a clear view of the Wind when berthed.)

If it is - save this link and make a booking to view the Wind from the top of the sky garden (Nice birds eye view and its completely free - don't pay to go up the shard!) - Bookings would be available usually 3 weeks beforehand. I've some photos somewhere from this year if it is your cruise and interested, I'll repost them.

Anyway - this was what we booked - most things are still there on the offer but the early booking discount ended 2 weeks ago.

Edited by les37b

It's cruise 2809 (March 2018!!!!) in suite 718, which doesn't leave much scope for an upgrade:rolleyes:

Next stop .... Google Flights to do my homework regarding prices .... just in case:D

Hehe.... gotcha!

Well, when I got off the Wind in April, I can tell you for a fact that there were no offers on my cruise for flights..... But there was in June - which was why I booked. (If there had been - I would have taken advantage of the further discount of booking whilst onboard! I may well do next time.)

Obviously keep an eye on the flights for next year and when they change.

It might also be an idea to speak to your TA and make 100% sure you will be able to add discounted flights should they become available. Given what they've done, best make sure. I'm not sure discounts and offers do get passed on by TA as I found out in August - but SS will s Ive found out in the last couple of months. If they offer any more incentives, they'll be paying me! lol

My wife and I are signed up for our third SS cruise, a double header from Monaco to South Hampton on the Muse. Our first cruise, sort of by accident, was thru a TA. The second and now this one I intentionally did directly. My reasoning was if I needed some room to negotiate, I could point out I saved them paying a percentage to a TA. It may be misguided, but that is my rationale, and I'm sticking to it. I'm not unsympathetic to their business being at least as variable and ever changing as my own, and I don't begrudge them making a profit. In fact, I want them to stay in business, as we have enjoyed cruising on their ships a great deal. We'd just move onboard full time, if we could figure out how to pay for it. You could do a lot worse in your latter years.

We didn't prepay and get the discount; we think of the deposit as buying an option (which is what it is), and consider keeping the option open for small amount of dough is fair value for money paid. If something changes, we can back out. I agree the 10% discount is a good investment, if the money is invested for less than a year, and assuming you go forward with the cruise. My dealings with SS have been very above board, and I have gone out of my way to curry a friendship of sorts with the nice lady at SS, partly because I'm just a nice fellow, but also knowing one catches more flies with honey than vinegar.

Looking forward to the Muse, we are.

WWfT

I really don't think there is a true 10% discount, the base fares are increased to allow for the discount. If you compare the cruise prices on cruises that are sailing within 6 months that are not offering the discount, the base price is a lot less than the cruises that offer the discount. As per my earlier post, I think it's just a selling technique that has the added benefit for Silversea of giving them great cash flow. It's a great business plan!

To a degree Dilly you are correct. It is a fact they do often increase prices before offering a "discount" .... but not always true.

My next cruise is a good example.

The initial price advertised is what it still is. They then offered a 10% discount ... they then introduced a £299 bargain air fare ... with no increase. They then gave a 2 category upgrade free ... with no price increase... then finally gave a $1000 spend to Venetian members.... with no extra cost.

The 10% early booking expired 2 weeks ago but the removal of that just takes it to the original price and all the rest is still valid.

That obviously is for a specific cruise .... but I have seen first hand what you refer about price hikes and pretend discounts.

Les, that's great you have got what looks like a great deal. I have been speaking directly with Silversea, and they are offering incentives to book direct with them. I feel for the TA's though. My usual TA works very hard putting everything together, finding the best flight deals and knows our preferences on airlines, hotels etc. They also give a small discount on the cruise price and access to a 24hr emergency contact number. It's a lot to give up .... back to the calculator!

Les, that's great you have got what looks like a great deal. I have been speaking directly with Silversea, and they are offering incentives to book direct with them. I feel for the TA's though. My usual TA works very hard putting everything together, finding the best flight deals and knows our preferences on airlines, hotels etc. They also give a small discount on the cruise price and access to a 24hr emergency contact number. It's a lot to give up .... back to the calculator!

It's always great to have a good travel agent working for you that does actually do the job properly.

In the summer just gone, I booked to take the kids on a Carnival Vista Med cruise and did so through a well known U.K. Cruise Agent. At the time of booking (14 months in advance) carnival had a price guarantee in place. On my role call continually people were getting money reductions because of price drops. I spoke to my agent who effectively said no discount for you buster... only if you booked direct. I certainly felt cheated by that. I booked through an agent because they were supposed to look after you. On this occasion the opposite was true. It left a bitter taste!

Silversea did offer me an incentive but to be fair they did say they were more than happy if I wanted to take it through an agent. At the time I also wanted them to sort a lunch visit at the Tower of London so booked through them just as I have previously.

Thanks for the replies.

We shall see.

Mike

It sounds like for the most part, you have hopefully sorted this issue out. Though I did find your TA's comment very interesting. I'm not sure if the arrangement is different in the UK for the 10% discount. But I can tell you I was a bit suspect after reading the "port charges" comment. So I looked at my invoice because I pre-paid to get the 10% discount. The invoice is very straightforward. If the cruise was $5000, they deducted $500. Silversea has never (well, in the last 10 years) broken out port charges on its invoices. Frankly, I think your TA is playing games...the TA should provide you with the Silversea invoice as well as theirs. That is what our TA does.

In regard to the airfare promo, when we booked this Med cruise for 2017 the 10% discount was the offer, but not the airfare promo. Sometimes promos are added at a later date. Once they added the promo on our cruise, the rate went up to reflect the new promo. So if we want to take advantage of the airfare promo, we will have to pay the new rate. Sometimes when there is a "new offer" the price of the cruise goes up in conjunction with the offer. Booking far in advance really does get you the lowest price--there are typically special offers closer to the cruise date, but we have found the cruise fare has gone up as well. They typically increase about 6 months before the cruise date in our experience.

I cannot plead great joy to find that my "deal or else date" has now gone out another month.

Otoh , we (at 300+days) had limited cabin choices,so one may assume that Silversea is having some success with the offer.

Our quoted price was all inclusive and was processed unchanged.

Silversea did play smarty games with the second of our two credit card payments incurring an INt tx fee because they processed the charge in London.

They are paying it back……...

I cannot plead great joy to find that my "deal or else date" has now gone out another month.

Otoh , we (at 300+days) had limited cabin choices,so one may assume that Silversea is having some success with the offer.

Our quoted price was all inclusive and was processed unchanged.

Silversea did play smarty games with the second of our two credit card payments incurring an INt tx fee because they processed the charge in London.

They are paying it back……...

The offer on my "book by" date was extended by 5 months. It's a promotion and extended because sales didn't reach the levels they'd hoped I'd assume. Not an issue. As you said, you could have left it and missed the offer altogether by one gamble too many or got a worse located suite. Obviously first come first serve applies.

Not sure on the CC thing. If you say they messed up, it sounds like they've made amends so hopefully no harm done.

I had something of an issue on the cruise last year when I was given a quote but they'd not booked an option. When I spoke the next day, head office had increased the prices across the range. Not cool. I had just been 4 days off the Cloud when I booked. They agreed to give me a $350 spend to compensate for the fact I could have (but missed out) on a discount for booking on board. (My fault). But all that meant was the fare was back to pre price hike level. A little moan later, they honoured the original price AND let me keep the on board spend.

All in all my experience dealing direct has always been favourable.

Some very interesting replies on this subject.

How good are SS in respect of air travel?

I am fussy as to airlines and dates as I may need a couple of stopovers built in.

Would they be flexible with my requirements or do they have arrangements with specific airlines?

Are they competitive in respects of price?

My TA is very good in respect of flights and pricing and of course I can discuss my options with them, but it mght be nice to have an 'ace in the hole' by speaking to SS first.

Mike

Some very interesting replies on this subject.

How good are SS in respect of air travel?

I am fussy as to airlines and dates as I may need a couple of stopovers built in.

Would they be flexible with my requirements or do they have arrangements with specific airlines?

Are they competitive in respects of price?

My TA is very good in respect of flights and pricing and of course I can discuss my options with them, but it mght be nice to have an 'ace in the hole' by speaking to SS first.

Mike

From my limited experience....

For Barcelona and Athens, their economy airfare was £200 each, for both to/from London (so £800 in total for us both). We actually ended up using our own means with budget airline EasyJet, taking 2 hold bags each and paying approx. £250 in total... A big difference, but they had no special fares. We didn't go into flight details.

For my cruise in March, they have been very accommodating. I would have preferred to use Virgin on the way out to san Juan as they are the only airline to fly direct from the UK. That wasn't available under the cheap flight fare. But, we were able to chose the times and airlines and chose BA to JFK then AA forward and return to LHR from Miami. I was fussy with connecting times from the US and had several airports to chose from. Due to a bad experience in Atlanta where 4 hours was not enough to connect! We rejected all 2 hour connections (remember we'd be going through customs, pass port control and also luggage checking back in.) We plumped for a 5 hour connection in JFK. I think most would think we were mad for doing that, but we did have our reasons. Those flights are now locked in, so the airline can change them I guess, but not SS.

That said, I'm aware of flights that have been changed shortly before sailing, but to be fair, that could have been the airline and not SS.

I guess the only ones who can answer your questions on options will be SS. My choices have always been based on price. For March, the currect prices booking direct with the airline is £2500 return each. SS have charged us £299. It doesn't get much easier to chose than that!

Agreed.

I booked my last cruise which was with Carnival in August through an Agent. The Role call was full of posts from members getting refunds on price reductions. I got nothing. My TA said Ive agreed a price and tough effectively.

Moving on, like you, I took advantage of the 10% off price and paid in full after they introduced a return airfare for £299 inc transfers. (That's flying London to San Juan and back from Miami. - The price booking direct with BA is £2500 for this fare!)

Anyway, we paid in full which was the advertised price as shown on the website and like the last time we booked direct, nothing further to pay.

A couple of months on, I noticed they were now giving a 2 category suite upgrade, so our Vista was now a Midship veranda on deck 7 upgraded free and after we'd paid in full.

If the 10% discount, the cheap airfare and 2 category upgrade wasn't enough, theyd also added a further promotion giving Venetian members a $1000 free onboard spend. The last 2 provided to me even though Id paid in full already.

It sounds very much like your TA has stitched you up not SS. The price SS display covers everything, so they need to be asked to explain these extras because SS don't charge it booking direct.

I have a cruise booked on the Spirit the week before you go on the Wind, and when my agent inquired about the onboard credit they were offering for Venetian members, they repriced the cruise without the discount in order for the me to get the credit. I'm not very happy with that response. It doesn't seem like one policy for all.

I have a cruise booked on the Spirit the week before you go on the Wind, and when my agent inquired about the onboard credit they were offering for Venetian members, they repriced the cruise without the discount in order for the me to get the credit. I'm not very happy with that response. It doesn't seem like one policy for all.

I wouldn't be happy with that either.

Have you thought about using a different agent - or better still, dealing direct as Silversea most definitely would have given you the OBC...... Or are you saying that the cruise price increased on the SS website and is higher now than it was when you booked?

If the price hasn't changed (and in my own case it hadn't) then I'm very surprised the agent didn't pass the OBC on.

That said, if they have increased the price then added an incentive, it is a bit naughty and it is something I'm aware they do often do.

• 1 month later...

From November ....

(2) Having duly paid the full amount before 31st October, I find that on 1st November the 10% offer is extended to 31st December!

Guess what happens on 31st December?????? Deadline extended to 28 February !!!!!!

Naughty or what.