Baltic or Norway

One must is that the cruise must stop in Germany. If I am going to Europe, I want to see Germany.

If you really want to see Germany and it's a potential highlight for you, the problem with cruising is that the parts of Germany that touch the water and can be visited on a cruise are fairly limited. You'll likely either go to Hamburg or Warnemunde/Rostock. Both are nice. If you're up for a very long day, you can make it to Berlin from Warnamunde. Or, you can do a day trip to visit a castle or two and see the northern Germany region, which is very nice. If hanging around Hamburg for a day, or taking a trip to Schwerin castle is enough for you to get your Germany itch scratched, then any cruise that stops at Germany should be fine. But a cruise isn't going to get you to a vast majority of what Germany has to offer -- Cologne, Munich, etc. For that, your idea of starting or ending in Germany seems like the right way to go, so you can do some stuff on land first.

For our day in Germany on a Baltics cruise, we took the train from Warnemunde up to the sea, at Kuhlunsborn, and it was really pleasant, but other than the fact that they took Euros and spoke German, I wouldn't say it was anything like a quintessential German experience. If the choice were between Hamburg/Warnemunde and another European norther port city like Copenhagen or Amsterdam, I could easily have skipped Germany. It's not to say that there aren't fantastic German destinations, but if you have an itinerary that you find to be exciting at the right price and the right time, missing out of the Germany stop probably shouldn't keep you from it.

Terry thanks for info. In regards to rail trips. I was just dreaming. A rail trip of that magnitude is way way down on my list. In October I'm taking my first west med cruise out of barcalona. I'm very exicited but I am all ready thinking about future trips. Here is another question. Since we have all the same interested. Could you recommend any reading material before my western med trip. I am going to barcalona to on of the isle off Spain southern coast then to Marseille. Provance Naples, Rome, and Florence. Renaissance here I come. Thanks for pictures enjoying the captions. I love reading about this stuff. Thanks.

LilaC123: Thank you Terry for the beautiful photos of Norway! My sister and I are taking a 2 week cruise of Norway next July. We are so excited' date=' we are really looking forward to cruising the fjords. [/quote']

Appreciate these follow-ups and nice comments/questions. For our friend from St. Louis, Missouri, I am super glad that you are sailing out of wonderful and charming Barcelona. As my live/blog below details, there is so much there to love in that town, plus in other locations in the Med. Have you checked out this live/blog for some of these key Med/Italy areas?

Have done much in Provence, Rome, Florence, Naples/Amalfi, etc., areas. Hard to share ALL of the details. In many areas, including for all four of these areas, you could three or four days in each different place.

Be sure to use the "SEARCH" function on these boards for each of the various cities/ports you are going to visit. There have been lots of different posts, photos, etc., posted earlier that can help you get a sense of your many options in these ports. Don't be shy! Ask questions. Lots to share and learn from previous travels to these great cities of the Baltics. Also grab, maybe from your library or a book transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc., can work well, too. No one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely. These resources, especially the visuals one, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see.

Please go to the Barcelona/Italy live/blog and post any added questions there after checking out my various pictures and details. Happy to share more. Below are just a couple of quick pictures on Rome.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 215,162 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Pantheon was built between 118-125 AD in Rome and is so large and amazing in its size, construction and classic style. We had seen it before, but it is always amazing and impressive as you round the corner in walking from Piazza Navona and “there it is!”. The second shot is the view when standing in the entrance to the Pantheon and looking towards the plaza in front of this historic site. The Pantheon name is from Greek meaning a temple consecrated to all gods. It is circular with a portico of large granite Corinthian columns, has a coffered, concrete dome, with a central opening (oculus) to the sky. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 142 feet. It is one of the best-preserved of all Roman buildings. It has been in continuous use throughout its history. Since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a Roman Catholic church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs". The square in front of the Pantheon is called Piazza della Rotonda.:

RomePanthonaFrontPlaza.jpg

Inside the Pantheon in Rome, this photo with my 10-20mm wide angle lens shows what is regarded as the best preserved of the ancient buildings in Rome. It is based on the classical Greek temple design and has a hole in the middle of the domed ceiling. It was the Roman “temple of all the gods”. You can see the light shining through the roof to part of interior on the left side.:

RomePanthonInterior2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, all your valuable information and photos are much appreciated.

We're doing the Baltics on Crystal next June with two overnights in SPB so Moscow will be doable on the second day which is a Thursday. I was seriously considering the Moscow excursion but was disappointed when I discovered the Kremlin is closed on Thursdays and was surprised this was not taken into consideration when Crystal planned the itinerary. I noticed Oceania's Baltic cruises also have the second day in SPB on a Thursday. I now question whether it will be worth the effort if we cannot visit the Kremlin. Since you've taken the Moscow excursion I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Carole

Edited by caroak

Terry, all your valuable information and photos are much appreciated. We're doing the Baltics on Crystal next June with two overnights in SPB so Moscow will be doable on the second day which is a Thursday. I was seriously considering the Moscow excursion but was disappointed when I discovered the Kremlin is closed on Thursdays and was surprised this was not taken into consideration when Crystal planned the itinerary. I noticed Oceania's Baltic cruises also have the second day in SPB on a Thursday. I now question whether it will be worth the effort if we cannot visit the Kremlin. Since you've taken the Moscow excursion I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks. Carole

Appreciate, Carole, your nice comments and good follow-up. When you mention that "the Kremlin is closed on Thursdays", do you mean just the Kremlin Palace . . . or . . . the entire Kremlin within its walls, including the Armory with the famed "eggs"? There's a difference on the Grand Kremlin Palace versus the entire historic area. It does appear that the "Armoury Chamber is open for public daily, except Thursday". Would hate to miss that location/museum, but the question is what else would you see on that Thursday if doing the tour through Crystal for a one-day visit to Moscow.

Tell me more. There are always "trade-offs" to consider. Maybe it is worth it. Maybe not. Happy to share more as you get added information.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 18,689 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Hi Terry,

The Kremlin website indicates all the Kremlin sites, including the Armoury, are closed on Thursdays. As for the Grand Kremlin Palace, there's limited access and not much information available. Crystal's website doesn't have any information posted yet regarding a Moscow excursion but I'm sure they'll offer one. Considering the Kremlin sites will be closed and DH doesn't have much interest, I'll probably pass. There's more than enough in SPB to keep us busy for three days.

Carole

Edited by caroak

Hi Terry, The Kremlin website indicates all the Kremlin sites, including the Armoury, are closed on Thursdays. As for the Grand Kremlin Palace, there's limited access and not much information available. Crystal's website doesn't have any information posted yet regarding a Moscow excursion but I'm sure they'll offer one. Considering the Kremlin sites will be closed and DH doesn't have much interest, I'll probably pass. There's more than enough in SPB to keep us busy for three days. Carole

Appreciate Carole's follow-up and added information. Need to fire up your DH to have more interest!! Tell him that I said so!!

BUT, my key bottom-line would be to wait until finding out from Crystal the exact details for what they would offer and be able to do in Moscow. Why? The Grand Kremlin Palace is, as one example, a very special and unique location. Very impressive!! Tours there are done only for groups with advance arrangements. Maybe you could be able to get in there. Individuals cannot go in there. Our 2008 one-day Moscow trip was with Crystal and they did it very, very well. I would not rule-out the Moscow option until you know more specifics for what Crystal might offer. Or, if Crystal would shift and offer the Moscow tour on Wednesday in place of the planned Thursday offering.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 152,866 views for this posting.

Joeghartman - We're sailing on a 24-dayHolland America cruise next year that includes Norway and the Baltic. If you have the time, this could be a good option for you.

Edited by j&ps

Terry, a Moscow excursion will not be doable on Wednesday since we won't be docking until 7:00 am. I'll just have to wait and see what Crystal will be offering for Moscow. Carole

Good update by Carole. Trying to go to Moscow on the first day in St. Petersburg could be more challenging as there could, maybe, be delays in the ship arriving, getting the customs clearances, etc.

But, as I checked more, for our "Tall Ships & Treasures #8217", we arrived in St. Petersburg on the Crystal Symphony on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 and did our "adventure" to Moscow by air flights during that first day there. Then, it was Thursday-Friday, July 31 and August 1, 2008, for when we did our private tours for St. Petersburg.

Maybe, hopefully, Crystal will work out those "logistics" for Moscow in the best possible manner. Yes, agree to be smart to "wait and see what Crystal will be offering". Good luck!!

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 41,151 views for these postings.

Terry, I'm surprised Crystal did Moscow on the SPB arrival day. Maybe it was because you took a flight rather than the train and were able to depart a little later in the morning. You'd never get me on one of those Russian crates!:eek:

Edited by caroak

Terry, I'm surprised Crystal did Moscow on the SPB arrival day. Maybe it was because you took a flight rather than the train and were able to depart a little later in the morning. You'd never get me on one of those Russian crates!:eek:

Appreciate your follow-up. As background, the Russian flights we had between St. Petersburg and Moscow were on good, modern aircraft. No problems or worries for us in that regard!! It was not one of those old Aeroloft planes that I rode on in 2001 to get to Cuba. But, of course now, most such tours are using the rail connections since things have been upgraded to a higher-speed link by train.

Clearly, it will be best to see the details and specifics as to timing and where visiting as things gets closer for what, when and how Crystal will offer for that Moscow excursion potential. Good luck on hoping that Crystal adjust to going to Moscow on a better day than Thursday.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 215,950 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 1 month later...

Joeg, the itinerary you have chosen to look for is one we have booked for the end of June 22, 2017. It's on the NCL Jade, leaving from Hamburg(round trip). It is a 12 day though.

Visits Geiranger, Hellesylt, Trondheim, crosses the Arctic Circle, cruises the Svartisen Glacier, Leknes Lofoten Islands, Honningsvag, Tromso, Alesund, and Bergen before returning to Hamburg. It's listed as a Norwegian Fjords/North Cape cruise. Only place I wish were on this itinerary that is not--is Flaam, BUT ya can't have it all.

I'm really going to try and save for the one that crosses the arctic circle. We are planning for 2020 for my 40th. I couldn't take any more than two weeks at a time off from work and would like to spend an extra day or two in Hamburg.

Good luck with your planning and efforts for doing that crossing of the Arctic Circle on your 40th. Sounds great!! Yes, it take more time to journey that far north, but it is worth it if you like nature, scenic sights, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 203,794 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 1 month later...
Joeg, the itinerary you have chosen to look for is one we have booked for the end of June 22, 2017. It's on the NCL Jade, leaving from Hamburg(round trip). It is a 12 day though.

Visits Geiranger, Hellesylt, Trondheim, crosses the Arctic Circle, cruises the Svartisen Glacier, Leknes Lofoten Islands, Honningsvag, Tromso, Alesund, and Bergen before returning to Hamburg. It's listed as a Norwegian Fjords/North Cape cruise. Only place I wish were on this itinerary that is not--is Flaam, BUT ya can't have it all.

I will be on this cruise as well. I will be bringing my two granddaughters.

You State that you want to go to Germany, but do not state what you want to see or do.

The Northern part is very different than the Southern part.

I would like to suggest to fly in to München and rent a car to catch your ship. This will give you plenty opportunities to Explorer Germany.