Reykjavik?

roothy123

I'm going to Reykjavik for two days and have the following questions:

1. First, am I posting in the right section? Assume so.

2. What kind of timing can I expect at Keflavik airport if I'm coming in from the U.S. early morning on a weekday? About how long might it take me to get bags, clear immigration, and be out on the curb to (probably) take the FlyBus?

3. I'm debating about renting a car at least one day versus just taking one of the tours offered in Reykjavik - either on the Golden Circle route or possibly the south shore. If anyone has done either one, do you have any pros/cons or comments? For example, is driving the Golden Circle pretty easy? What about established tours, of which i see there are a number of them. One or two go to the Secret Lagoon, which is certainly not the Blue Lagoon, but might be an interesting experience in lieu of paying a lot to go to the Blue Lagoon. One goes to the green energy thermal plant, which sounds mildly interesting for a half hour stop.

4. Does anyone have any experience in one of the city swimming pools or the tiny geothermal beach in Reykjavik?

5. Any recent travelers to Reykjavik on Icelandair in economy? Their seating diagram for their June flights have got me confused. It's supposed to be a 2-3-2 Boeing 767 but I thought they only had two of those and I'm wondering if that's what we'll really be flying on. Seating is quite different from the other planes they operate.

We spent Oct, 2015, in Reykjavik. I would say 1 1/2 to 2 hours, tops, to go from plane to downtown--assuming no special circumstances, of course. It may be longer if you opt for hotel drop-off. The bus ride is about 45 minutes. You rarely have to wait and going through passport control was quick and simple (we're from US). We didn't drive, but in the summer you shouldn't have a problem. We had two great tours during our stay (Golden Circle and Southern). One was on a rainy day while the other was after a snowfall-absolutely gorgeous! The energy plant was worth visiting. We never went to Blue Lagoon although went to a neighborhood pool several times. I think you will find B L crowded in the summer and probably a disappointment. The beach was, of course, closed in Oct. We used Icelandair, but our plane was 3-3, if I recall. I remember more about the return flight. We flew out of Orlando.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

We used icelandair and it was a 3-3 We flew from JFK. We did the golden circle tour in the summer. It was rainy and windy and a long day. Did not go to Blue lagoon but another. It was nice but the stop was too long. Remember about the long days. We went in Jul and the sun wS just setting at midnight

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think it would be better to do the Golden Circle tour with a Guide rather than Driving Yourself. I can thoroughly recommend IG tours.

You can also arrange for a driver to pick you up from the airport and take you to the Blue Lagoon en route to your hotel-- quite an attractive proposition after being cooped in a plane.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We recently (August) rented a car and drove the Golden Circle. Personally, we were very happy having our own car and being able to do things at our own pace, stop for lunch where/when we pleased, etc. We had a GPS which was helpful getting on our way (we started at the cruise port). But once we got on the highway there were signs for the Golden Circle. Our cell phone (T-Moble) also worked everywhere so this was a back-up GPS (we also have our own Garmin Nuvi).

As to driving, we basically followed a similar route as all the tours and stopped at most of the same places. Driving was easy, but we had too much rain...which is typical of Iceland. With our own car we were able to vary our schedule (slightly) to deal with the rain...such as deciding to stop for lunch during a heavy rainstorm. Rental cars are expensive and we did pay nearly $150 for a one-day rental. But this was actually a better deal then most of the excursions.

We will be back in Iceland next August...and are already planning on again renting our own car.

Hank

The airport there is very streamlined. You'll be thru customs and with your luggage quickly. If you're flying from the US, you'll most likely be arriving at 6:00am. I wouldn't recommend driving much that day. Self driving is nice, to have control over your schedule. Tour are nice, as you can get so much more information about the sites and about Iceland in general. Consider smaller tours for a more personal experience.

I've heard the local pool is great for a very "local" experience - live like an Icelander. :)

I flew Icelandair, but honestly can't remember the seating arrangement. The economy seats were not bad, there's decent leg room, and it's only 5 1/5 hours from the East coast anyways. They are strict and carryon sizes, FYI. My moderately sized suitcase, which I can carryon on any airline in the US, was a definite "No" on Icelandair.

We've been to Iceland 4 times so far. Only one time did we go right to Reykjavik on the Flybus, it was about 2 hours from deplaning to arriving at our hotel using Flybus+ (where they transfer you to a smaller bus right to your hotel). Most recent visit we had no checked baggage and were on the curb in less than 30 minutes from deplaning.

One issue recently at KEF airport is due to overcrowding, many planes park at distant gates and you have to go down a flight of stairs and get on a bus that takes you to the terminal, which can delay your arrival by 15-30 minutes.

Always been 3-3 seating for us on every leg with Icelandair.

We always take at least 1 tour on every visit as you learn so much more from a guide than you can learn on your own. Golden Circle tours are quite reasonably priced so we always tell our friends to take an organized one.

Thank you, everyone, for the info.

Yes, I suppose I might be disappointed in the Blue Lagoon, especially given how expensive it is. (But yes, I know everything in Iceland is.) In the local swimming pools, the "local" experience is what's making me want to go. However, is the water itself much different from the experience Americans get in municipal swimming pools? I mean, is it all geothermal and warm, and possibly a little bit tinted? Also, I keep reading you must wash with no bathing suits because pool chemicals aren't used. Is there just one big shower room for women or how does that work?

Thanks for the recommendation of IG Tours. That's one company I hadn't read about, but it looks good.

Nice to know T-Mobile works in Reykjavik and around there. We have fairly basic coverage, so I'm wondering what I need to do if I want to have service in Iceland. For Canada we called them and for $10 they gave us data and phone for a month, which was certainly reasonable.

Thanks for the warning on carryon size for Icelandair. I noticed that my ticket confirmation has info on number and pieces of luggage. I'll have to go back and read that carefully before we travel. Thanks, others, on the airport and Icelandair info. We did travel on Icelandair once before and it wasn't bad, although the airport was a mess when we connected. I had to sit on the floor because there were no seats. The airport was reporting a "commotion" and the people staying in our house worried that we may not get home in time. I think the airport officials probably meant "congestion." It was certainly bad a few years ago; wonder what it will be like come June!

Thank you, everyone, for the info.

Yes, I suppose I might be disappointed in the Blue Lagoon, especially given how expensive it is. (But yes, I know everything in Iceland is.) In the local swimming pools, the "local" experience is what's making me want to go. However, is the water itself much different from the experience Americans get in municipal swimming pools? I mean, is it all geothermal and warm, and possibly a little bit tinted? Also, I keep reading you must wash with no bathing suits because pool chemicals aren't used. Is there just one big shower room for women or how does that work?

Thanks for the recommendation of IG Tours. That's one company I hadn't read about, but it looks good.

Nice to know T-Mobile works in Reykjavik and around there. We have fairly basic coverage, so I'm wondering what I need to do if I want to have service in Iceland. For Canada we called them and for $10 they gave us data and phone for a month, which was certainly reasonable.

Thanks for the warning on carryon size for Icelandair. I noticed that my ticket confirmation has info on number and pieces of luggage. I'll have to go back and read that carefully before we travel. Thanks, others, on the airport and Icelandair info. We did travel on Icelandair once before and it wasn't bad, although the airport was a mess when we connected. I had to sit on the floor because there were no seats. The airport was reporting a "commotion" and the people staying in our house worried that we may not get home in time. I think the airport officials probably meant "congestion." It was certainly bad a few years ago; wonder what it will be like come June!

Regarding our T-Mobile account (just basic service with 2 Gigs per month data) is simply works everywhere....and we do not have to call or change our account. As we have previously posted, T-Mobile simply charges 20 cents per minute for phone calls (anywhere in Europe, Iceland, etc) and data/text is free per your usual plan.

Yes, everything in Iceland is expensive. Their entire currency/cost structure is out of whack since the currency collapse a few years ago. We did not go to the Blue Lagoon when we were at the port in August (for 2 days) but will be back for another 2 days next August. This time we will likely again rent a car (at least for one day) and perhaps drive over to Blue Lagoon after dinner (weather permitting). In this port even a $150 per day rental car is a bargain :(.

Hank

Regular pools are like big muni pools here (or smaller pools, depending where in Iceland you go). They are geothermally heated, so no electricity or other power needed, and no chemicals so you can keep your eyes open easily. You do have to shower nude first, and get all the parts. Most pools have at least one private shower stall, but most showers are out in the open. No one cares what you look like. Some pools have no private shower stalls.

We used Sunhollin public baths because it was within 2km of our apartment on Lake Tjörn so an easy walk. It housed a large swimming pool (used by the schools at times) inside with two hot tubs outside-one hot and one really hot--plus a sauna, I believe. You'll be given a locker to store your items. Shoes must come off before entering the locker area. Laugardalslag has been reported as a favorite. Yes, showering is required--there are signs that show you exactly how thoroughly one must clean and soap is provided. And, yes, no one cares what people look like. If you're 70 or older (just read a review that stated 67 now) you get in for free. Cost is 900ISK, otherwise.

Tapatalk on Nexus 9

Edited by Rhea98

I love this video. It's made by the Icelandic tourism bureau and pretty much sums up Iceland's non-issue with nakedness but it's very real concern with hygiene.

Don't sweat the pre-pool showers. Honestly, no one there cares.

As for the BL, it is touristy, but it really is pretty. It is less busy very early and later in the afternoon and evening. It's otherworldly in the dark, which you'll only get the half the year the sun goes down relatively early. The in water massage was on of the most amazing experiences of my life. I don't regret our time spent there.

I love this video. It's made by the Icelandic tourism bureau and pretty much sums up Iceland's non-issue with nakedness but it's very real concern with hygiene.

Don't sweat the pre-pool showers. Honestly, no one there cares.

As for the BL, it is touristy, but it really is pretty. It is less busy very early and later in the afternoon and evening. It's otherworldly in the dark, which you'll only get the half the year the sun goes down relatively early. The in water massage was on of the most amazing experiences of my life. I don't regret our time spent there.

That video is too funny and I cannot get the song out of my head :).

Hank

HI all!

roothy123 ~ thanks for starting this thread.:D I'm using Icelandair to stopover 2 days on the way home from my Baltic cruise next June so this is of interest to me too.

That video was cute & reminded me of the little warm up I do each day but here it's head & shoulders, knees & toes.

As I'm travelling solo a guided tour will be better than driving so I'll have to find a tour company. I'm thinking Viator shared transfer from the airport to the hotel as I've had good results with them in other places.

Looking so forward to seeing a little of this beautiful country.

~ Jo ~ :)

Retiringsoon, check out flybus https://www.re.is/flybus

It is easy and relatively cheap. The "plus" option will drop you off at your hotel, the standard at the bus station. You can reserve tickets now, or just pay when you get there. The counter is just outside of baggage claim. Their busses run basically whenever flights are coming in or out of Keflavik.

FYI, for pick up at the hotel back to the airport (which is the only way we've done it), pick up time means "no later than" and they may come up to 20 minutes earlier. It's best to be ready 30 minutes before pick up.

Wow, there have been a number of replies to my post since Cruise Critic sent me a notice. I guess I should just go on here and check it every couple days.

I've done some research, and am getting closer to figuring out what I want to do with my two days. I found a reasonably-priced place to stay through Airbnb. I've only used that once, but it was a good experience, so I recommend it to anyone who's the least bit adventuresome. I booked a place very close to the huge church called Hallsgrimskirkja (may have spelled that wrong, however) and about a 15 minute walk to the old harbor, Harpa concert hall, and the very downtown area containing Parliament, etc. It's also about a 15 minute walk to the BSI bus station where the Flybus from the airport drops you if you don't choose to pay extra for them to put you on a smaller bus at BSI to get you close to your hotel/guesthouse. For $242 for 2 nights/2 people, I was thrilled to get a small studio place all to ourselves, rather than paying almost twice as much at a hotel or guesthouse. The renter's name is Ingibjorg, and her last name includes "dottir." My husband told me that in Iceland, children's last names end in "son" if they're a son and "dottir" if they're a daughter! I had no idea. Anyway, if anyone wants more two cents' worth on what to look for on Airbnb, or what location, let me know. I DID book a few weeks ago, though, and found that things are much more booked up now than before. Of course, I read that Reykjavik has a LOT of Airbnb properties, so it's obviously a very popular alternative.

I'm still waffling between taking one of the Golden Circle tours or renting a car (horridly expensive for U.S. companies, but Icelandic ones like Sadcars much more reasonable) and doing it ourselves. Apparently the drive is easy, and we love going around on our own, but with tours you learn so much, and it's easier.

I'm still waffling on the Blue Lagoon, and trying to convince myself it's worth the money.

I looked at the Keflavik airport website, and it's helpful. I guess when you check in, you go to a kiosk first, then the airline counters. They apparently have bag storage, which is nice. I'm assuming that even if we get there at 6:30 AM for our flight to London, there will be food for purchase. The website states that from 6 - 9 is one of their busiest times!

I haven't used Viator before, although I've checked them a few times. For tours in Reykjavik, however, I noticed that they charge more than the same local vendor who appears to be operating the trip. If I do a tour, I don't think I'll book through them. So far, IG Tours sounds best to me (and thanks to the person who recommended them), but we'll see.

Just a question for anyone who may know the answer: Can you see the Blue Lagoon at all as you approach it? Is there steam rising? If I rent a car I may just drive by there on the way to Reykjavik if it's possible to see anything at all.

Thanks for the funny video! I think I'm OK with the showers - probably more curious than concerned.

Oh, Jo, we loved the Baltic. I think we did that one two years ago and it was fabulous - so many countries, types of money, differences between countries, etc. Enjoy that cruise. My pictures are buried somewhere on this site: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123

Edited by roothy123

I like tours only because you get the benefit of the tour guide. You get much info about Iceland, and it's people, than you do just driving up and looking at a waterfall. We used Goecco for a private tour. I do NOT like large tour bus tours, however.

The Blue Lagoon is very nice, but you can't really see anything unless you are in it. It is nestled in a lava field. There is a nice trail you can walk from the parking lot that meanders thru the lava, but you can't really see in the lagoon. It is touristy. But it was so unique, that I really enjoyed it. It's best, IMHO, very early or very late in the day when most of the people are gone.

For two full days, I'd consider a south coast tour one day and then the Golden circle and the BL the next. If you just have one full day, I'd recommend the south coast. It is stunning and you'll avoid some of the crowds. Bring water proof clothes or plan on getting wet. Walking behind Seljalandsfoss waterfall was one of the highlights of my last trip - you don't get the scale of it until you are up close and very personal. Also, Gljúfrabúi falls is just a very short walk from there (100 yards maybe?) and you must go thru a crack in the cliff and thru a shallow stream to find a magical (but very misty wet) waterfall nestled inside the cliff.

Most US flights arrive in Kef at 6:00am or so. It's hopping at that time. There is a 10/11 (like a 7-11 in the US) with convenience store food and a Joe and the Juice with smoothies, some sandwiches, oatmeal, coffee, in the baggage claim area. You could check it out before you check in. I don't know how much will be open in the departure area at that time. You could check on the TripAdvisor forum for that info.

Nitemare, thank you for that. I did some reading. It looks like I may be OK, as I think the Airbnb host only has one place and is (hopefully) not renting it out continuously. Is there any way to know the status of the proposed legislation that I read about which requires limited renting?

Regarding our T-Mobile account (just basic service with 2 Gigs per month data) is simply works everywhere....and we do not have to call or change our account. As we have previously posted, T-Mobile simply charges 20 cents per minute for phone calls (anywhere in Europe, Iceland, etc) and data/text is free per your usual plan.

Yes, everything in Iceland is expensive. Their entire currency/cost structure is out of whack since the currency collapse a few years ago. We did not go to the Blue Lagoon when we were at the port in August (for 2 days) but will be back for another 2 days next August. This time we will likely again rent a car (at least for one day) and perhaps drive over to Blue Lagoon after dinner (weather permitting). In this port even a $150 per day rental car is a bargain :(.

Hank

We will be spending 25 hours in Iceland on our way to Amsterdam in May, per the free stopover on Icelandair. Initially, the rental cars were pricing out at about $120 per day, but I checked prices on Travelocity 2 days ago and there were cars available for as low as $40 through Dollar and Thrifty. I went directly to the Dollar site and was able to get that price. It is definitely worth price checking often! Total price for our car (taxes and fees included) is about 52 Euros.

We will be spending 25 hours in Iceland on our way to Amsterdam in May, per the free stopover on Icelandair. Initially, the rental cars were pricing out at about $120 per day, but I checked prices on Travelocity 2 days ago and there were cars available for as low as $40 through Dollar and Thrifty. I went directly to the Dollar site and was able to get that price. It is definitely worth price checking often! Total price for our car (taxes and fees included) is about 52 Euros.

Thank you for that info. I checked last night for my dates mid-June and it's 76 euros per day total for a Ford Fiesta type car, manual, and a little less for their "mini" category. At least that's better than what I was getting for any of the American companies a few weeks ago, and more in line with what the local companies charge. I'll keep checking every few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I drove the Ring Road (including the Golden Circle) in May...wouldn't do it any other way! Try this website for car rental: http://www.reykjavikcars.com Very reasonable!

Driving in Iceland is quite an adventure when you go far from Reykjavic, but not bad in the areas you are likely to travel. I will ditto the suggestion that if you have a second day you drive the South Rt 1 to see Selljalandsfoss and the hidden waterfall Gljufrabui. Also, the black sand beaches and basalt columns at Vik are amazing! Travel time from Reykjavic to Vik is about 2.5 hours one way.

We did not go to the BL, but did the nature baths at Myvatn, and yes, getting undressed and showering in front of strangers was a bit uncomfortable for me but not the Icelanders. It is definitely an experience!