Belfast or Giants Causeway

timgram

My husband and I will be cruising the British Isles this summer on Marina and we have a question. If we can only do one thing should we stay in Belfast or opt for the tour to the Giants Causeway? We don't even get into port until noon and therefore the tour to the coast would take us into early evening. We don't leave until 11pm, but I don't know how much we could expect to see of Belfast after 7:00. Anyone have an opinion?

We had a port of call in Belfast in June 2006 but we were there all day. We had a private tour to the Causeway and then a return to Belfast where our driver gave us a lovely city tour.

If I had to choose between the two I would say go to the Causeway. It's a beautiful drive up there and the site itself is splendiferous.

If you can then return to Belfast for a tour, fine. But if I had to choose between the two I would go to the Giant's Causeway. When is sunset? You may well have time for a Belfast tour as we did. Basically we drove around in the bus -- we did have a few stops but we spent far less time in Belfast than we did going up to the Causeway. It was interesting to see the "troubles" sights ...

For further specifics of what we did, please feel free to email me at mura @ speakeasy.net

Mura

Absolutely agree--go to the Causeway. We were there on a day when there wasn't a cloud in the sky and you could see for miles. Belfast is cool but no comparison with those great thrusts of rock and clifts. Also as Mura has said it is a great way to see the Irish countryside!

Agree, agree, agree...the columnar lava rocks are awesome. Belfast tour probably would be about "the Troubles" and there isn't much to see except murals, barrier walls and painted curbs..Although I understand there has been alot of refurbishing of areas since we were there 3 years ago.. But the giant's causeway is quite spectacular and as said eslewhere the trip is lovely..:)

My husband and I will be cruising the British Isles this summer on Marina and we have a question. If we can only do one thing should we stay in Belfast or opt for the tour to the Giants Causeway? We don't even get into port until noon and therefore the tour to the coast would take us into early evening. We don't leave until 11pm, but I don't know how much we could expect to see of Belfast after 7:00. Anyone have an opinion?

Is there an option to visit Londonderry (or "Derry" depending on your side)?

That's what we did when we docked in Belfast a few years back...

Londonderry/Derry is a very interesting old walled city and an important place in the history of Northern Ireland. We had a tour which, among other things, walked the walls...

Definitely one of the more memorable tours of our cruise to this region...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derry

http://www.discoverireland.com/us/ireland-places-to-go/areas-and-cities/londonderry-city/

http://www.derryvisitor.com/

Went to the Giant Causeway on our Route of the Vikings Cruise last summer. Worth every minute! Spectacular views and natural beauty. (And we were there in driving rain) Not to mention the Finn McCool legend (a really cute story book was available in the bookstore for the grandkids). It was one of the hilights of our cruise.

I would vote for the causeway.

You also get to drive along the countryside and through several nice small towns.

Remember you are pretty far north so you will have good light much later into the evening.

I have to agree with the postings above. We were on the Vikings, Kings and Castles on the Regatta and the Causeway trip was a highlight. When we arrived back in Belfast, a local guide came on the vehicle , took us to the wall and other important sites. It gets dark there quite late, so you might be able to accomplish more that you think.

We did the Causeway on a private tour but we had plenty of time for a tour of Belfast at the end of the day. Our driver even gave us 30-45 minutes walking around time (some people wanted to do a little shopping) in the downtown area.

No reason you can't do both ...

The Causeway. Belfast is not near as interesting. You will enjoy the countryside on the drive there and will see all sorts of dilapidated castles and ruins. If you get a good guide their tales for that area are fascinating.

I am not so sure. Since language will not be a barrier, you must choose between a geological anomaly or a special city cultural experience. If you choose Belfast, do it on your own and visit the various neighborhoods. I have had many adventures in Belfast (particularly years ago during the times of the "troubles"). Try to meet and mingle with the locals to have unique experiences that will last a lifetime.

Just to throw a wrench into this landslide in favor of the Causeway, which is magnificent, I'd like to remind you that April of 2012 is going to be the 100th Anniversary of the Titanic (which was built in Belfast) and there are several fascinating tours of the Harland & Wolff shipyards where she was constructed.

Felkins-9801.fig.1.lg.gif

The Edwardians considered Belfast to be a model for the Industrial Cities of their future, and more than 30,000 were employed at the shipyards alone.

With its own Post Office, banks, fire department and electricity supply, Harland & Wolff was, and is, a city within a city

9441571.JPG

h_w_cranes.jpg

They're mostly building tankers, and offshore Oil Rigs these days, but if you're interested in the mechanics of shipbuilding, it's a wonderful change of pace from Castles, museums and garden tours. :D

Have a great cruise!

Because of its still relevant history, my vote is for Belfast. We spent several days there before traveling to the Causeway and on to Derry. Learn more about "the troubles" by traveling down Falls Road soaking in the huge murals there, then on to Shankill Road, which parallels it. Check out the huge double gates at each intersention, which could shut off one side from the other in seconds. Talk to locals about what the issues really were, religion or economics. Visit Sandy Row with its imposing Bobby Sands mural, and the nearby cross street, aptly named Hope St. It's a walkable city, and walking it makes it very worthwhile to stop for a pint of Guinness at one of the pubs. For us, history, culture and people top impressive piles of stone. While the Finn MacCool legend is fun to hear, we actually found the Causeway to be disappointing, though the trip there does go through some gorgeous scenery along the Antrim Coast.

Timgram:

Are you on the Northern Knights cruise? Have you joined our Roll Call yet? If not, be sure you do because there is a long list of people who will all be getting together for a Meet and Greet no-host cocktail party and you wouldn't want to miss out. Plus you can perhaps find others to share tours/transfers with.

Billie

Thanks everyone for your input. We were leaning towards the Causeway and now we'll definitely do that and hope we can find someone to take us for a quick evening drive around Belfast afterward (so far I'm having trouble getting any of the Black Taxi companies to respond to my emails). I know the buildings won't be open after 6pm, but at least we can see the outsides of them and the murals before it gets dark. I'm sure we'll also be able to make a "quality" stop at the Crown Liquor Saloon!!

P.S. to Mountain Grandma- we are signed up for the cruises meet and greet. Looking forward to it. Where did you live in San Diego? We're in Rancho Santa Fe.

Thanks everyone for your input. We were leaning towards the Causeway and now we'll definitely do that and hope we can find someone to take us for a quick evening drive around Belfast afterward (so far I'm having trouble getting any of the Black Taxi companies to respond to my emails). I know the buildings won't be open after 6pm, but at least we can see the outsides of them and the murals before it gets dark. I'm sure we'll also be able to make a "quality" stop at the Crown Liquor Saloon!!

P.S. to Mountain Grandma- we are signed up for the cruises meet and greet. Looking forward to it. Where did you live in San Diego? We're in Rancho Santa Fe.

We lived in Fletcher Hills for 30 years and one of our sons bought our house so he still lives there with his family. Our other son lives in San Marcos with his family and we have a condo in La Mesa since we visit them about once a month (except when we're traveling :D). We moved to the mountains of AZ in 1999.

We are traveling with two other couples and none of us has seen Belfast so we have decided to stick with the city instead of the Causeway--this time. It looks beautiful. We know that in the summer of 2013, we want to take the cruise that goes up to Iceland so we will be back again to Belfast. We definitely will do the Causeway on that cruise.

Billie

Sounds like a good plan, Billie.

We were there on one day only but it was a full day, and since we had a private tour we were able to fit both the Causeway and Belfast itself into our plans. Our bus driver/guide was great.

But it's even better if you can do one day at the Causeway and another day in Belfast ... I cannot say we saw everything there is to see in Belfast just because of the time we had. We got a good taste of it, but only a taste.

And we know from experience that you really cannot see a major city in one day when you are on a cruise. You can get a flavor, but not the full menu.

Mura

• 1 month later...
Sounds like a good plan, Billie.

We were there on one day only but it was a full day, and since we had a private tour we were able to fit both the Causeway and Belfast itself into our plans. Our bus driver/guide was great.

But it's even better if you can do one day at the Causeway and another day in Belfast ... I cannot say we saw everything there is to see in Belfast just because of the time we had. We got a good taste of it, but only a taste.

And we know from experience that you really cannot see a major city in one day when you are on a cruise. You can get a flavor, but not the full menu.

Mura

Mura, can you tell me who your tour driver/ guide was? Also, were you happy with them? Thanks

5ofus, we used Mini Coach Travel for Belfast (info@minicoachni.co.uk). We were a group of 16 and the bus was large enough that we all had two seats to spread out on.

I don't have a record of our driver-guide's name but he was excellent.

It appears, however, that we paid around $85 per couple for the day's tour. Remember, this was in June 2006. They DID want payment in advance, but they accepted a credit card. So the person who arranged the tour put the whole charge on his card and the rest of us sent him checks to cover our share.

Mura

I live 10 minutes from Belfast and would most definately do the Giants Causeway tour. The trip up the Antrim coastline(if that's the route they take rather than the motorway) is one of the most beautiful. Forget the Belfast murals and flags tours - it takes you past areas I wouldn't go through and never have and never want to. However if your ship is leaving at 11pm you should have time to come back to the ship have dinner and then call a taxi to take you into Belfast City Centre for a quick look. The City Hall is a very impressive building - in fact its probably about a 15 min walk from the port. Best get a taxi. From the port to city centre should be about £4. If you did have time a taxi would take you on a mini tour of Belfast and possibly take you out as far as Stormont buildings. I wouldn't bother going as far as L'derry - its a good 11/2-2 hrs each way and I personally wouldn't waste 4 hours travelling to be honest. Anyway hope this is useful and I can see Belfast lough from my house so I will keep an eye out for Marina sailing into Belfast. Enjoy Northern Ireland

I agree with Poppy1966 that Antrim coast is beautiful and the city center Belfast is worth seeing. I appreciate that he does not like to visit the areas that were home to the "Troubles". However, as one who has been there a number of times, I offer that such a visit may be of interest to some cruisers wishing to further explore some history of the area.

Hi there again. I have just checked the port of Belfast website. Is this the cruise coming in on 11th July 2011? If so this is the day before the 'Twelth parades' celebrations. There can be trouble in certain areas on 11th night as they light bonfires and party all night. Please be aware of this and I would check with any drivers on no go areas if you're planning to venture out at night. Many people leave the province over this period so the roads should be fairly quiet. Hopefully it will pass peacefully. Enjoy your cruise everyone.

I agree with Poppy1966 that Antrim coast is beautiful and the city center Belfast is worth seeing. I appreciate that he does not like to visit the areas that were home to the "Troubles". However, as one who has been there a number of times, I offer that such a visit may be of interest to some cruisers wishing to further explore some history of the area.

Hi there again. I have just checked the port of Belfast website. Is this the cruise coming in on 11th July 2011? If so this is the day before the 'Twelth parades' celebrations. There can be trouble in certain areas on 11th night as they light bonfires and party all night. Please be aware of this and I would check with any drivers on no go areas

Two interesting thoughts. I agree with Eddmel that the drive up the coast is wonderful (our private bus tour took this route with some stops along the way), and we, too, found visiting the "Troubles" locations very interesting. I'm glad we saw these areas even if only in a limited fashion.

But were I to be in Belfast on July 11-12, I'd seriously think about avoiding the areas that Poppy mentions!

Mura

Archived