Booking one in a Room

berries999

I heard that you could book a single room at early saver rate and then go back and add the other guest so you wouldn't have to put so much of a deposit down. I am trying to book several cruise dates so it would really help. Does anyone know if this is true and would the early saver rate still apply for both individuals then?

I booked my September cruise as a single person and then added my husband later. The only thing is....you pay $200 deposit for yourself and you need to have enuf paid down on the cruise to equal the deposit for the other person or you will have to pay the $200 for the other person. So make sure you have atleast another $200 paid on the cruise before adding the other person.

Another thing you have to be aware of is capacity restrictions.

For example if you wait too long to add passenger #2 there *might* be a possibility of the ship having met the capacity for dbl cabins.

High season cruises would be an example of this happening.

Just like special rates. Once they meet a certain percentage those rates are no longer available.

Since Carnival changed the single cruiser amount (there no longer is one) for a cabin, you can book any cabin you want with one person in the cabin. You will be paying the same amount whether you have one/two people in the cabin (less taxes/port fees)

So call and tell them you want to book a cabin for yourself, pay the deposit amount (depending on the length of the cruise) and when you want add the other person - very simple.

we have done this many of times as we like a specific cabin and want to be able to book - we have also done this for our daughter (she is 18) who is cruising with us but not sure if she is bringing a friend or not so we book her and then add a person when/if she has someone to travel with her.

Happy cruising

I see that not everyone is understanding what you are asking. But yes, you can book a room for one person and pay just one deposit. When you're ready to put the 2nd person in the room, that's when you would pay the 2nd deposit (if it's before final payment). But keep in mind that when you add the 2nd person, that person will pay whatever the rate is at that time, which could be quite a bit higher by then. And if Early Saver is no longer available, you can book the 2nd person at another rate. The 1st person would still be Early Saver, but the 2nd person would not. It gets complicated, but several people have reported doing this. I have added a 2nd person, and that person was added at the current rate (not the rate that I had originally booked for myself). But we were both Early Saver, since it was still available.

Carnival is allowed to fill every bed on their ships, so as long as you have an empty bed in your room, you can book someone into it. You may just not be able to do it under the Early Saver rate.

I see that not everyone is understanding what you are asking. But yes, you can book a room for one person and pay just one deposit. When you're ready to put the 2nd person in the room, that's when you would pay the 2nd deposit (if it's before final payment). But keep in mind that when you add the 2nd person, that person will pay whatever the rate is at that time, which could be quite a bit higher by then. And if Early Saver is no longer available, you can book the 2nd person at another rate. The 1st person would still be Early Saver, but the 2nd person would not. It gets complicated, but several people have reported doing this. I have added a 2nd person, and that person was added at the current rate (not the rate that I had originally booked for myself). But we were both Early Saver, since it was still available.

Carnival is allowed to fill every bed on their ships, so as long as you have an empty bed in your room, you can book someone into it. You may just not be able to do it under the Early Saver rate.

Not entirely true - if you are paying for the full cabin (i.e. balcony cabin is 1600.00) that is the cost regardless of one/two people in the cabin so the cost would not go up for the second person! Taxes may go up (but I have not seen that occur after a booked cruise in 20 years) and they would have to pay the difference on the taxes.

To keep it simple, think of it as a hotel room - you pay the rate of the hotel room regardless of if there is one/two people in the room.

This theory would apply if you were booking a third and fourth person in a room because yes those rates can change.

At the time you are adding the second person you are already paying the full rate. NO change in cost

The 'but' to this is if the ship has reached lifeboat capacity then no one can be added even if there is an empty bed in the cabin.

I heard that you could book a single room at early saver rate and then go back and add the other guest so you wouldn't have to put so much of a deposit down. I am trying to book several cruise dates so it would really help. Does anyone know if this is true and would the early saver rate still apply for both individuals then?

I have done this on my 3 previous cruises and the 3 I'm doing in future.The 7 day require 250 and the 5 day 200 deposits.Once you have booked the 2nd person gets the same rate then when you add 2nd you just have to make sure that you add the dep if you haven't paid that much toward the cruise.The price will only go up the tax and port fee charge.Yes there is a concern if boat fills to capacity but that is rare and just add person b4 final payment and you shouldn't have a problem.

Not entirely true - if you are paying for the full cabin (i.e. balcony cabin is 1600.00) that is the cost regardless of one/two people in the cabin so the cost would not go up for the second person! Taxes may go up (but I have not seen that occur after a booked cruise in 20 years) and they would have to pay the difference on the taxes.

Yes, everything I said is entirely true. Please read what the OP asked, then read what I actually said again. This is what I was meaning by "Not everyone is understanding what the OP is asking." They are not asking about anything in reference to a solo supplement. They are asking about booking a room for 1 person now, and adding a 2nd person later, in order to not have to pay 2 deposits right away. If you book a room for 1 person now, you pay 1 deposit. For a 7-day cruise, that would be $250 paid now, instead of paying $500 now for booking 2 people. Some people do not want to (or cannot) pay the full $500 now. I never said that 1 person would only pay 1 cruise fare if they sailed solo, nor is the OP planning to sail solo (so we shouldn't even bring that issue up in this thread). I said that they would pay 1 deposit. You DO NOT have to pay 2 deposits when you book a room for 1.

And as far as the whole lifeboat/capacity issue, Carnival already has that planned out when it comes to their rooms and how many people they can put in each specific room. If there is an empty bed in your room, then there is an empty lifeboat spot. You will be able to book someone into that empty bed.

But, I have to say that I checked in on adding a 2nd person on 2 cruises that I ended up sailing solo. The 2nd person would have paid MORE than the rate that I originally booked, because the rate had gone up since I booked. For one of the cruises, it was significantly more, which is why he decided not to join me. The 2nd person was not going to get the rate that I had originally booked. If other people have, they weren't supposed to. They just got lucky. For a hypothetical example, booked solo at a rate of $300, makes the total $600 (because solos must pay 2 cruise fares) + taxes. Later, it's time to add the 2nd person: the going rate is now $400: the 2nd person doesn't get my rate of $300; they are under the $400 rate. So I am now $300, they are $400, for a total of $700 + taxes. And to repeat myself, the 2nd person does not have to be Early Saver, and they cannot be Early Saver if that rate is no longer available.

The 2nd person was not going to get the rate that I had originally booked. If other people have, they weren't supposed to. They just got lucky. .

Nope, not lucky. When I first called Carnival on both occasions to add a person the Rep tried to make the new person pay the higher going rate.

I had to get a supervisor involved, who said the rate was locked and the new person just had to pay the current government taxes and fees.

I almost always have to get a supervisor involved when making changes with ES because the Rep don't always know the correct procedure.

Yes, everything I said is entirely true. Please read what the OP asked, then read what I actually said again. This is what I was meaning by "Not everyone is understanding what the OP is asking." They are not asking about anything in reference to a solo supplement. They are asking about booking a room for 1 person now, and adding a 2nd person later, in order to not have to pay 2 deposits right away. If you book a room for 1 person now, you pay 1 deposit. For a 7-day cruise, that would be $250 paid now, instead of paying $500 now for booking 2 people. Some people do not want to (or cannot) pay the full $500 now. I never said that 1 person would only pay 1 cruise fare if they sailed solo, nor is the OP planning to sail solo (so we shouldn't even bring that issue up in this thread). I said that they would pay 1 deposit. You DO NOT have to pay 2 deposits when you book a room for 1.

And as far as the whole lifeboat/capacity issue, Carnival already has that planned out when it comes to their rooms and how many people they can put in each specific room. If there is an empty bed in your room, then there is an empty lifeboat spot. You will be able to book someone into that empty bed.

But, I have to say that I checked in on adding a 2nd person on 2 cruises that I ended up sailing solo. The 2nd person would have paid MORE than the rate that I originally booked, because the rate had gone up since I booked. For one of the cruises, it was significantly more, which is why he decided not to join me. The 2nd person was not going to get the rate that I had originally booked. If other people have, they weren't supposed to. They just got lucky. And to repeat myself, the 2nd person does not have to be Early Saver, and they cannot be Early Saver if that rate is no longer available.

k2excursion, i politely disagree with you on this one. I deal with this all the time. Once the booking is made under ES you are always ES. So the 2nd guest doesn't come in at a different rate. The whole BOOKING is ES then.

For Example,

If you booked a cabin under ES and paid $1000 for your room and you are the only one in the room then say 3 or 4 months later you add a 2nd person to the room then the 2nd person is only responsible for the cruise fees. The ES rate is locked in. The possible reason that the 2nd person could have had to pay more than cruise fees could be due several reasons. One being that possibly you did not have enough on the booking to cover the deposit for the 2nd guest. Another reason is if you are adding a 3rd, 4th, or 5th person in the cabin..THEN you are talking they have to come in at the new rate. Thirdly, there could be penalties on the booking.

The possible reason that the 2nd person could have had to pay more than cruise fees could be due several reasons. One being that possibly you did not have enough on the booking to cover the deposit for the 2nd guest.

That's probably it. I was wondering what loophole they found that allowed them to do that for some people. In my situations, I had only paid the amount of 1 deposit, and had not made final payment yet. And unfortunately, that's what the OP is wanting to do: pay for 1 deposit now, so that they don't have to pay the amount of 2 deposits now. I think that if you don't have the amount of 2 deposits put onto your booking, the 2nd person would have to come in at the going rate at the time of adding the 2nd. But like the other poster mentioned, if you get a supervisor involved, you never know what you might get. I've had a couple things done to a couple of my bookings that probably shouldn't have been allowed, but I got them to do it.

That's probably it. I was wondering what loophole they found that allowed them to do that for some people. In my situations, I had only paid the amount of 1 deposit, and had not made final payment yet. And unfortunately, that's what the OP is wanting to do: pay for 1 deposit now, so that they don't have to pay the amount of 2 deposits now. I think that if you don't have the amount of 2 deposits put onto your booking, the 2nd person would have to come in at the going rate at the time of adding the 2nd. But like the other poster mentioned, if you get a supervisor involved, you never know what you might get. I've had a couple things done to a couple of my bookings that probably shouldn't have been allowed, but I got them to do it.

Exactly! Now you got it!!;):p:D

But, I have to say that I checked in on adding a 2nd person on 2 cruises that I ended up sailing solo. The 2nd person would have paid MORE than the rate that I originally booked, because the rate had gone up since I booked. For one of the cruises, it was significantly more, which is why he decided not to join me. The 2nd person was not going to get the rate that I had originally booked. If other people have, they weren't supposed to. They just got lucky. For a hypothetical example, booked solo at a rate of $300, makes the total $600 (because solos must pay 2 cruise fares) + taxes. Later, it's time to add the 2nd person: the going rate is now $400: the 2nd person doesn't get my rate of $300; they are under the $400 rate. So I am now $300, they are $400, for a total of $700 + taxes. And to repeat myself, the 2nd person does not have to be Early Saver, and they cannot be Early Saver if that rate is no longer available.

Ahhhh Incorrect - I read what the OP is asking which is can I pay one deposit for a cabin that is going to have two people in it - answer is YES!

Not sure when the last time you took a cruise but Carnival does not have a single supplement - your rate does NOT change - one/two people pay the same rate for a cabin because the single person pays the whole amount whether there is one or two people in the cabin. Cabin rates do not change until you add a third or fourth person.......cabin rate listed is for one/two people - I cruise solo and I cruise with others - the rate for the cabin does not change

This is really not difficult; it bugs me when people put inaccurate information on a forum when people are looking for assistance -

To the OP - your rate will not change on the cabin, when you add your second person there will be the addition of the taxes - you can book the cabin for one person and when you want simply add the second person to the cabin - we do it all the time.

Okay, this is ridiculous. Stop telling me that I said something that I clearly didn't say. I am not posting wrong information. I never said that a 1-person booking will, in the end, pay half of what a 2-person booking would pay. I said that they will only pay one deposit. Like I said, a room that is going for $300pp will come out to $600 for one person, in the end. If you book it for 2, it will also be $600, in the end. (Plus taxes.) The one person paying the same as 2 people is known as the solo supplement. It's a 200% solo supplement that Carnival has for all their rooms. Other cruiselines have varied solo supplements, but it is a solo supplement.

But yet again, the OP is not asking about this at all. So please stop talking about it. The OP is not planning to cruise solo. The OP is planning on adding a 2nd person later on, and wants to know if they can book it for 1 person and only pay 1 deposit for now, instead of having to pay 2 deposits right now. And the answer is yes...unless you are past the date of final payment. If you are past the date of final payment, the whole amount must be paid at the time of booking. OP, I am so sorry for all this bickering. I just know that some people aren't seeing what you are actually asking about, and I am trying like crazy to help you without confusing you about things that you don't need to know about.

The deposit for a single person is more than the single person deposit rate

No, it is not. I just booked a room solo for my MIL. There will be a 2nd person in that room; we just don't know who it will be yet. Though her rate is currently the rate of 2 people in her room, the deposit was $250. That is all. When the 2nd person is added, they will pay their $250 deposit. The total rate for the room for 2 will stay the same as currently priced for the 1 person. The taxes/fees will double when the 2nd person books, to the tune of a little under $100.

The deposit for a single person is more than the single person deposit rate

No. When I booked as a solo, my deposit was the same as it would have been if there were 2 pax booked in the cabin.

I just Booked my 7 day cruise for May 2013 for one! I asked it i could add my DH later and the Carnival rep said yes before final payment date and I will only have to pay additional taxes to add him to the room regradless of what rate is being offered then.Since Im already paying for the FULL room. I paid a single deposit of $250 not double.:confused: Hope this helps! Happy Cruising!

Archived