Baltic or Norway

My partner wanted a Caribbean cruise for his 40th this year, but I'm looking at a European cruise for mine. We both have never been to Europe and I prefer a colder climate cruise than what the Mediterranean offers. One must is that the cruise must stop in Germany. If I am going to Europe, I want to see Germany. Originally I thought the Baltic Sea cruise was a done deal. We get to see a lot of interesting countries on what may be our only time to Europe (Alaska and Hawaii are to follow). However, I looked into seeing the fjords in Norway. They look amazing and there is a starting point in Germany. The idea of seeing many countries is appealing as much as it does to see only Germany and Norway. Any thoughts or opinions from someone who have experienced one or both itineraries?

We've done both and loved each of them. Baltic cruise is great for history (museums and other tours) and Northern cities (we really enjoyed Helsinki and Stockholm). Norway cruise was much more nature oriented (glaciers, fjords, waterfalls). Both of these cruises stopped in Amsterdam but other than that they were totally different.

My partner wanted a Caribbean cruise for his 40th this year, but I'm looking at a European cruise for mine. We both have never been to Europe and I prefer a colder climate cruise than what the Mediterranean offers. One must is that the cruise must stop in Germany. If I am going to Europe, I want to see Germany. Originally I thought the Baltic Sea cruise was a done deal. We get to see a lot of interesting countries on what may be our only time to Europe (Alaska and Hawaii are to follow). However, I looked into seeing the fjords in Norway. They look amazing and there is a starting point in Germany. The idea of seeing many countries is appealing as much as it does to see only Germany and Norway. Any thoughts or opinions from someone who have experienced one or both itineraries?

You also might be able to do a little of both. Viking cruises offers a cruise that starts in Stockholm and ends in Bergen (or the opposite).

It is a 15 day cruise that will take you to the regular Baltic ports as well as a few Norwegian ports.

http://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/viking-homelands/index.html

Edited by Desdichado62

If you don't have enough time to do an itinerary that includes both, you're going to have to decide what you're looking for out of a trip to "Europe." The fjords are beautiful and well worth seeing, but they're not so representative of the rest of the continent.

If you really don't think you'll make it back to this side of the Atlantic, I would do th Baltics. You'll have more variety than you would on a typical fjord cruise, so you'd be maximizing the amount you see in that one visit.

I've done both. The Baltic was twenty years ago, and one day I might do it again; I've cruised to western Norway a dozen times and am going there twice more in the next year.

If you like cities and different countries, choose the Baltic; if you like scenery, choose the fjords.

Thank you all for the input. Definitely have some food for thought.

While MSC is a more European line ( you have to have that in mind... But many of my friends loved it), this itinerary seems perfect for you on the MSC Magnifica

6b932e79ed34952fddf8691d63afa548.png ... You could do a pre or post cruise tour of Germany and it hits some great Norwegian ports like Flåm ( gorgeous!)2e421093d84616634c98b356912c0e79.jpg

Bergen

05ee71135c478bb2dc00924aa4963ced.jpg

And one of my favorite cities ever, Copenhagen0b5af68c2106dd33f9dc1841642ef5b2.jpg

I highly recommend a visit to Lübeck , near Warnemunde.

You also see Helsinki, Tallin and SPB... A good variety!

We did a 14 night Baltic cruise in June and absolutely loved it - particularly 3 days in St Petersburg. We sailed out of Amsterdam and stopped at Copenhagen, Warnemunde (for Berlin), Tallin, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm. Really a day in Germany is not enough (we went on to five days in Bavaria afterwards). That's my suggestion - if you have a few extra days, maybe think about doing a few days in Germany before or after your cruise?

We have done both more than once but then , we are on the doorstep. As others have said either cruise has its attractions.

The Baltic is a very hectic cruise. You are using the ship to make an overnight transition from one City to the next. You spend your days doing whistle stop tours of the city or its immediate surroundings.

Norway and its fjords is much more relaxing with a mixture of cities to explore along with more relaxed cruising in the fjords themselves.

I like the Baltic. It has more ports, including Russia. Some cruise lines have Germany as a port of call where the port is about 3 hrs from Berlin. Others have Germany as intraport or originating port where you can explore it more leisurely.

Having done lots in many parts of Germany, plus the Baltics/Russia . . . AND . . . the Norway coast/fjords (as detailed on my live/blog below, I highly doubt that just one cruise can do all of these many and varied locations.

Cruises, at most, if and if, only allow just one day to make the long connection to and back from Berlin. That's not really seeing Germany, especially for key locations such as the Rhine/Mosel, Bavaria/Munich, etc., etc.

The Baltics are great, especially the superstar there of St. Petersburg. Bergen and the fjords are so scenic and charming, etc., etc. BUT, I do not know of just one cruise that would give you ALL of these wonderful locations.

Tell us more!!: What are your priority rankings? Do you most prefer and value history/culture vs. scenic nature? How you might mix some land touring of Germany either before or after your Baltics/Russia cruise?

Below are some of my visuals to help fire up your interests for these wonderful, charming areas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 201,746 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Dancers are shown marching in Tallinn’s festival parade near the stone towers of the famous Viru Gate during our visit. Tallinn is the capital and largest city of Estonia with a population of 440,000. About a third of the country’s population lives here. Tallinn’s Old Town is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and offers some nice shopping options/values here. There is so much charm, character and history in this somewhat hidden treasure of a town!! Its history goes back to the 1100's and it was an important port for trade between Russia and Scandinavia. In 1285, the city became the northern-most member of the Hanseatic League, a famed trading and military alliance of German-dominated cities.:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, here is just one of the many, many great galleries with so many different and great architecture details, soaring ceilings, dramatic floors, etc., in areas where the Czars entertained and impressed other Royals and nobility. Even without the art items, these five palaces are so spectacular! This room is adorned with 19th-century Russian lapidary works and feature Italian and Spanish canvases of the 16th-18th centuries, including Veronese, Tintoretto, Velázquez and Murillo.:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

Copenhagen's City Hall and its large Square are in the heart of the main downtown, near Tivoli and the central train station. Completed in 1905, it was designed in the "National Romantic" style with inspiration from the Siena City Hall. Dominated by its richly-ornamented front wth the gilded statue of Absalon just above the balcony, its tall, slim clock tower is 345.6 feet or 105.6 meters tall. It is one of the tallest buildings in Denmark.:

1-CPH-CityHall.jpg

Lots of beautiful church towers and buildings are located all over in historic St. Petersburg. Some “riding around time” allows an opportunity to see the variety of buildings in this historic capital.:

1A-StP-Ch.jpg

Thank you TLCOhio. As of right now, just kind getting some ideas into motion. It's definitely going to be Norway or the Baltic cruise, not both. My hope is just to have our starting point in Germany so we can spend a few days beforehand to be able just to see a little bit. I am not partial to the history or the scenery, so both cruises are just as appealing. I guess what it will come down to is if we want to relax and enjoy natures beauty, or explore and do some sightseeing.

Thank you TLCOhio. As of right now, just kind getting some ideas into motion. I guess what it will come down to is if we want to relax and enjoy natures beauty, or explore and do some sightseeing.

Appreciate this added information!! If you are leaning more for relaxing, then maybe you need most to consider the Norway direction?? This could include Bergen, the fjords and possibly sailing from Copenhagen, as we did.

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Keep researching and planning. Let us know any added questions.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 151,936 views for this posting.

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

At Flam, there are some great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below is just one picture/highlight from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views and doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

On Baltic is their an excursion from St Petersburg to Moscow..

It's a very long trip. If I remember right, around 8 hours travel time, each way. Those who wants to explore Moscow choose cruises with embarkation in Moscow, and stay in Moscow days ahead of sailing.

Terry Awesome pics. if I had the money I would leave tomorrow. On Baltic is their an excursion from St Petersburg to Moscow. Who has the best cruise in regards to ports of call?

easy boy: It's a very long trip. If I remember right' date=' around 8 hours travel time, each way. Those who wants to explore Moscow choose cruises with embarkation in Moscow, and stay in Moscow days ahead of sailing. [/quote']

From our experience in late July 2008, we traveled by air and it was about three to four hours total, one way, in getting from St. Petersburg to Moscow. Now that trip is done by high-speed rail, that takes you directly into the Moscow central city area in about 3+ hours.

If you have not previously been to St. Petersburg, it hard to do BOTH of these capital cities if you only have just two days in this port during a Baltics cruise. We had, with our cruise, three days and two nights in St. Petersburg. That made things so much more practical and reasonable in doing the long day-trip in Moscow, plus allowing two days for St. Petersburg.

Many cruises only do two days in St. Petersburg as a part of an overall Baltics plan. Avoid any cruise that only allows one day in St. Petersburg. Ideally, but it tends to be only available with the more costly cruise lines, three days would allow the most time and flexibility for both St. Petersburg and Moscow. Yes, you could do a river boat from Moscow to St. Petersburg (or reverse), but that gets more involved with Russian visa needs, not seeing the rest of the Baltics, etc.

On the good question of "Who has the best cruise in regards to ports of call?", that is a challenging question to answer. Why? There are lots of variables, including on costs, cruise ship size and luxury level, time needed in St. Petersburg, where your cruise would start and stop, desire (or not) to visit Berlin, etc. Tell us more on your desires in travel, personal style, budget flexibility, etc. How much do you like history, nature, culture, shopping, museums, art, music, architecture, etc.??

Below is a little Moscow eye-candy to consider. Lots of great options, but only so much time and money, unfortunately.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 215,162 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is one of the Kremlin Wall Towers in Moscow. It is a defensive wall that surrounds the Kremlin with its recognizable notches and the famed Kremlin towers. The original walls were likely a simple wooden fence with guard towers built in 1156. Between 1485 and 1495 a brigade of Italian architects designed a new defense perimeter. With an outer perimeter of over 7300 feet, the Kremlin appears as a loose triangle. Twenty towers survived to highlight the walls. Built at a different time, the oldest one dates to 1485 while the newest one was built in 1680. Three of the towers, located in the corners, have circular designs.:

1A-Moscow-KremlWallTower.jpg

Walking on the famed Red Square of Moscow can be thrilling!! This square separates the Kremlin, as the former royal citadel and the current official residence for Russia's President, from a historic merchant quarter. Red Square is often considered the central square of Moscow and all of Russia, because Moscow's major streets originate from here. The name Red Square comes neither from the color of the bricks nor from the link between the color red and communism. The name came about because of a Russian word that can mean either "red" or "beautiful". This word, per Wikipedia, has the meaning "beautiful", was originally applied to Saint Basil's Cathedral. Then, later, the meaning was transferred to the nearby square. It is believed that the square acquired its current name in the 17th century. Red Square was the leading stage and trade center for Moscow. Ivan the Great decreed that trade should only be conducted from person to person, but later these rules were relaxed and permanent market buildings began appearing on the square. After a fire in 1547, Ivan the Terrible reorganized the lines of wooden shops on the Eastern side into market lines and part of that transitioned into what is now GUM department store that adjoins this famed square.:

1A-Moscow-RedSq.jpg

The domes of the historic church inside the walls of the Kremlin:

1A-Moscow-KremChurDomes.jpg

This is the interior for Moscow's most historic church, Assumption Cathedral or the Cathedral of the Dormition, inside the Kremlin walls. It is the mother church of Muscovite Russia. The church stands on Cathedral Square and was built in 1475–1479 by the Italian architect Aristotele Fioravanti. It was erected on the spot of an older 14th century cathedral of the same name:

1A-Moscow-KremChurchInterior.jpg

The famed KGB (Secret Police) Headquarters in Moscow where many entered and did not exit (alive) during the 1950’s and 1960’s:

1A-Moscow-KGBHdqBldg.jpg

Here is a small sampling of the Kremlin Royal Treasures of the Czars: Eggs & Jewels inside the famed State Armoury in Moscow. One of the oldest museums in Moscow, it was established in 1808 and located within the Kremlin Walls. It originated as the royal arsenal in 1508 during when it was in charge of producing, purchasing and storing weapons, jewelry and various household articles of the Tsars. There are ten Fabergé eggs in the Armoury collection (all Imperial eggs). This is the most Imperial eggs, and the second-most overall Fabergé eggs, owned by a single owner. The Trans-Siberian Railway Egg is a jeweled Easter egg made under the supervision of the Russian jeweler Peter Carl Fabergé in 1900 for Tsar Nicholas II of Russia. It was presented by Nicolas II as an Easter gift to his wife. The exterior of the 1900 Trans-Siberian Railway egg is made of onyx, silver, gold, and quartz, and is decorated with colored vitreous enamel. The lid of the egg is hinged, has an overlay of green enamel, and is decorated with inlaid leaves of acanthus. On top of the lid is a golden three-headed eagle in gold with the Imperial Crown. The interior is lined with velvet. A route map of the Trans-Siberian Railway is engraved in silver across the face, with major stations marked by a precious stone, forming a belt around the egg. The egg is supported by three griffins made of gold-plated silver on a stepped triangular base of white onyx.:

1A-Moscow-KremJewels-Eggs.jpg

Thanks so much for the eye candy. I like ur comment about the KGB. Based on ur detailed post ur must be a history buff and teacher.Thanks for recommending a three day option for St Petersburg. I knew I want to have 2 days in St. Petersburg as aformer history teacher and Russian culture and history fanatic. Seeing both capitals is a requirement.

One other question

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry hit post by accident. My question is Have u ever taken the Siberia train or is that even available.

In regards to the question about the best cruise. I meant to say most interesting and has the best excursions for a history and geography fan.

I am interested in everyone's option so please share.

Sorry hit post by accident. My question is Have u ever taken the Siberia train or is that even available.

In regards to the question about the best cruise. I meant to say most interesting and has the best excursions for a history and geography fan.

I am interested in everyone's option so please share.

I've been considering the trans-Siberian rail trip for years, but I have not done it yet. Most people actually choose the trans-Mongolian, rather than the trans-Siberian, since ending in Beijing is usually more desirable than ending in Vladivostock! Also, the scenery in Mongolia is supposed to be quite nice.

Trans-Sib-map.gif

However, a lot of people say that the trip is not particularly exciting and would mostly recommend it to people who are interested in local culture and are particularly into train journeys.

You can book it on your own, and there are dedicated guidebooks to sorting out the logistics, but it's known to be quite hard. Most international tour companies offer guided packages that simplify things. For example:

https://www.gadventures.com/trips/trans-mongolian-adventure/3795/

And there are a few companies that run the trip using private luxury rolling stock in lieu of the Soviet-era public trains:

http://www.regent-holidays.co.uk/tour/luxury-trans-siberian-tour-on-the-tsars-gold-private-train-moscow-to-beijing/

If you were talking about doing this as a cruise excursion, it's famous for being the longest rail journey in the world, and it would take days just to reach the western Siberia. Not sure you'll be in any port long enough for that!

Thanks so much for the eye candy. I like ur comment about the KGB. Based on ur detailed post ur must be a history buff and teacher. Thanks for recommending a three day option for St Petersburg. I knew I want to have 2 days in St. Petersburg as a former history teacher and Russian culture and history fanatic. Seeing both capitals is a requirement. One other question. Have u ever taken the Siberia train or is that even available. In regards to the question about the best cruise. I meant to say most interesting and has the best excursions for a history and geography fan. I am interested in everyone's option so please share.

No Siberian rail experience on my end. Might be interesting, but it is a long, long distance to do. Other parts of the world are a higher priority for me right now.

I'll offer the various pro/con factors for your consideration on the question of doing Moscow . . . or not. My wife thought it was lots of money, but she viewed it as very much worth it after completing the trip as a "once in a lifetime" experience. If you have good private tours in St. Petersburg, you can see most of the great and excellent stuff there in just two days.

CON FACTORS: It's a long day! Leave the ship early (greeted by a small welcoming band dockside); get back to the St. Petersburg late. Moscow is a super large city of over ten million people. There has been huge growth in the suburbs of this city during the past decades or so. Traffic and time from the airport to the main downtown takes about an hour, but the train takes your directly into the heart of this large city. Since we had to drive in from the airport, we had a good feel as we traveled into town through the coach windows about the “new Moscow” with its suburban growth, commerce, advertising, capitalism, big box stores, etc.

PRO FACTORS: Moscow has its unique history, sights and sites, from Ivan the Terrible up through Lenin, Stalin and the new Russian leaders of today. After a long ride in from the airport on the outer edge of this large metro areas of 17.3 million (with 10.5 million in the city), we stopped at a new hotel for coffee/tea/break. Then, we rode the Moscow subway and saw a couple of their very unique and artistic stations. Stalin at the time called these stations “People’s Palaces”. This Moscow Metro was first opened in 1935 and now has 182 stations, 12 different lines,187 miles of routes and carries seven million passengers each weekday. It’s the world second busiest subway system. This subway ride offered a good sampling of real life for people who live and work in Moscow. We then saw more key places enroute, including the home of the Bolshoi Ballet, KGB Headquarters, various Stalin-era buildings, etc. Then we went to the Kremlin with its 19 historic towers. WOW, we were really there!

Inside the Kremlin are three key “super stars”. First, was the State Armoury with its spectacular Faberge Eggs, plus so many carriages, crowns, gowns, jewels, etc. Second are the various historic Cathedrals within the Kremlin Walls, plus the Tower Bells, Icon art, etc. This includes the Cathedral of the Annunciation built in the 1480’s and having such spectacular wall murals and icons. Third, was the Great Kremlin Palace with its spectacular reception halls, inlaid wood floors, gold and more gold, fancy ceilings, etc. The Czars were crowned here, plus the current heads of the Russian government, etc. The size and scale of these areas are hard to describe in words, let alone reflect and capture the history that has happened in some of these rooms dating back to the late 1400’s. We have seen lots of great palaces all over Europe, but this is something above and beyond for the eyes, heart and brain.

Then, we saw more building inside the walls of the Kremlin. We went outside of the Kremlin Walls and walked next door to adjoining Red Square, seeing St. Basil’s and the re-done Gum Department Store. Red Square is so historic, especially having grown up seeing the military May Day parades there, visuals of Lenin’s Tomb, etc. Have the words “spectacular” and historic been used too much? Maybe, but it fits for many of these unique places. St. Basil’s was built 1555–1561 on the order of Ivan IV (the Terrible). It was the tallest building in Moscow until the completion of the Ivan the Great Bell Tower (266 feet tall) in 1600 inside the Kremlin Walls. To be able to “CONTRAST” and compare Moscow and St. Petersburg during these three short days adds to the benefits of seeing both of these great Russian capital cities. Each is a very different and special city.

Is one day in Moscow too short and limited? YES! You can, however, do and see lots in only that one short day. How often do you get to Russia? The Cold War might not exactly come back in full force, yet, but there are going to be increasing and revisited tensions in future years involving Russia and getting access there. The key cruise lines have done this tour many times and have its details down well and timing perfected.

On my interests, no, I am not a teacher. Sorry!! BUT, I do love history, architecture, travel, photography, etc. All of these areas of interest tie together and allow fun in doing such exploring. Have been to twenty two different countries in Europe, with a number of countries visited several times. Still have much more to do in Europe, plus more in SE Asia, China, etc. Recently been to Australia, New Zealand, Amazon River, Africa, etc. See more below on my live/blogs that are listed and connected on each of my posts.

Most all of these locations, including Norway, have so much for great history, geography, culture, wildlife, etc. Below are a few more "eye-candy" examples.

Keep rolling with the good questions, nice comments, etc.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,935 views for these postings.

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

This is one of my many puffin visuals, showing their bright orange feet, plus their cute and unique beaks. We had a private boat from the harbor in Gjesvaer near the North Cape at the top of Norway.:

BirdRockPuffinFeet.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

From the port-side control area, here is the view as our ship sailed up this narrow 300’ wide passage in the Trollfjord as a part of the Lofoten Islands along the scenic Norway coast. :

TrollfjordShipControl.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

This one visual says it all for the "Indiana Jones" experience we were enjoying as if we were in search of some South American hidden treasure during our hiking in this remote wilderness area about 60 miles north of Manus. Lots of varied nature views and scenic angles, etc., during this walk in the actual Amazon jungle.:

FebAmazRainForA25_zpsvglzgamz.jpg

Terry thanks for info. In regards to rail trips. I was just dreaming. A rail trip of that magnitude is way way down on my list. Like you I want to see the. But being married and having two wonderful children. My point is with a busy schedule. I have done very little travel.

In October I'm taking my first west med cruise out of barcalona. I'm very exicited but I am all ready thinking about future trips

Here is a nother question. Since we have all the same interested. Could you recommend any reading material before my western med trip.

I am going to barcalona to on of the isle off Spain southern coast then to Marseille

Provance Naples, Rome, and Florence. Renaissance here I come.

Thanks for pictures enjoying the captions.I love reading about this stuff. Thanks