Aboard Silver Cloud

Mayflower1

Joined The Cloud in Lisbon following her Atlantic Crossing from Rio where she was chartered for the Olympics.

The Ship is in a fine condition and has clearly been spruced up for the Charter - all areas we have seen look immaculate.

Especially for BriMary, the Food, Service and general attention to detail is as we would expect, unlike our experience in July - there are no Children on for this sector so the Pool area is a blessed haven !!!!!! - the weather is extremely hot but we are being well served with cooling drinks.

Captain Palmieri is well in control with Marius as the HD and Alan King doing a great job as CD - all is well with the world so far.

Joined The Cloud in Lisbon following her Atlantic Crossing from Rio where she was chartered for the Olympics. The Ship is in a fine condition and has clearly been spruced up for the Charter - all areas we have seen look immaculate. Especially for BriMary, the Food, Service and general attention to detail is as we would expect, unlike our experience in July - there are no Children on for this sector so the Pool area is a blessed haven !!!!!! - the weather is extremely hot but we are being well served with cooling drinks. Captain Palmieri is well in control with Marius as the HD and Alan King doing a great job as CD - all is well with the world so far.

Appreciate this wonderful update on the Silver Cloud by Mayflower1. Glad that things are in great shape. I assume lots of "polishing" was done by the staff as they made the long sailings getting from the Med to Rio and then coming back after being the hosts for the gold-medal-winning basketball teams at the Olympics. Say "HI!" to Alan. We super enjoyed being with him earlier this year in South Africa, plus last yer for 26 days in doing the Caribbean and Amazon River.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 19,280 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Joined The Cloud in Lisbon following her Atlantic Crossing from Rio where she was chartered for the Olympics.

The Ship is in a fine condition and has clearly been spruced up for the Charter - all areas we have seen look immaculate.

Especially for BriMary, the Food, Service and general attention to detail is as we would expect, unlike our experience in July - there are no Children on for this sector so the Pool area is a blessed haven !!!!!! - the weather is extremely hot but we are being well served with cooling drinks.

Captain Palmieri is well in control with Marius as the HD and Alan King doing a great job as CD - all is well with the world so far.

Delighted to hear your Cloud experience surpasses our unfortunate experiences on the Wind in July...Enjoy !

Good morning to Ducttape, Brimary & Beaujolais - thanks for your good wishes.

I hope Ducttape that our experience in July was a one off and that you will have a great time when you board - do keep us updated as usual.

I will post later in the Cruise with any further thoughts.

Hi Mayflower,

I'm really happy that you're enjoying Silver Cloud also because I'm going to sail with it next october 26 and was I bit worried after all the bad threads that I have read...:(

I'm looking forward to reading your updates

Have a nice trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning Brimary, Beaujolais and Friends. We disembarked yesterday after a thoroughly good time on The Cloud - the second segment was rather different to the first, in that it was a 7 day Cruise and in our opinion these short sectors create a different atmosphere with the guests going all out to gain maximum benefit from their short time on the ship - this together with a number of fairly loud Groups ( 15 - 20 persons in each ) created some difficulties for the Terrazza & Hard Rocks Restaurants but they coped with their usual generous smiles.

The ship is in fine fettle ( better in our opinion than The Wind ) and the Aircon/Plumbing held out well - the weather was very hot throughout. Food quality was excellent but we were surprised to see The Burgers still appearing on the Main Dining Room Dinner Menu, after all the comment. The Staff were, without exception superb, with many old Faces. The ship was full and the Management Team did well to keep everyone happy.

I understand from ' Gossip ' that Sujhit the HD on our Wind adventure has left the Company ( no more information available ) - it is a shame as we have seen his development over many years. I suspect that he is seeking to expand his experience in the Expedition type ships, which he loves, but it would seem that Silversea is not the way for him ?

All in all a fine trip and for those about to consider a Cloud Cruise prior to the Refit, I would have no qualms.

Greetings Mayflower. Good to hear that you had a good time on the Cloud and that things have picked up since our July experience, we are actually on the S S Navigator at the moment and I have to say that the experience is far in excess of "The Silversea Experience" except, as always,for the crew.

Sorry to hear about Sujit but my wife and I both had the feeling things were not right since he suddenly went home from Durban in January

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hi M & Z - so pleased to hear that you are having a great time on Regent - G & I would be so grateful if you could provide some comparisons with SS when you get home, either on this Forum or to our Private E mail address.

Continue to have fun and hopefully the White Wine is to your liking !!!! We had Marius with us as HD on Cloud and he remembers the ' Missing Pallet ' !!!!!

Mayflower,delighted to hear you enjoyed the Cloud and as always the SS crew were excellent,we are sorry the Cloud is leaving normal luxury cruising for adventure as we are at an age where adventure is not a top priority and the Cloud was our favourite ship in the cruising fleet.

We disembarked yesterday after a thoroughly good time on The Cloud - the second segment was rather different to the first, in that it was a 7 day Cruise and in our opinion these short sectors create a different atmosphere with the guests going all out to gain maximum benefit from their short time on the ship. The ship is in fine fettle ( better in our opinion than The Wind ) and the Aircon/Plumbing held out well - the weather was very hot throughout. Food quality was excellent

Appreciate this excellent update from our UK friend. Nice to hear that "our" Silver Cloud is doing so well, including with the food.

Your comments regarding various segments being very different was exactly our experience from early last year from doing 26 days on the Silver Cloud. After doing a longer Amazon River segment over 17 days, the next group, only nine days in the Caribbean, became a much different experience. In that shorter period, this group was much more "driven" to "be all they can be". Both segments worked well, but it is amazing on the same ship with the same crew how the "feel" can be so varied. Excellent observation!! It is more than the ship and crew that makes the difference. Having the "right" passengers with the best attitudes can be an important factor to consider. Longer cruises seem to allow more time for the passengers and crew to "jell" in the ideal manner.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 42,884 views for these postings.

Learned today from the SS Florida office that our HD is no longer Sujith (as intimated above, he has left SS (sorry to hear we enjoyed sailing with Sujith on a previous crossing). Now, Daniel Ilias will be the Wind HD for our fall crossing as confirmed by SS. According to Linkedin, Daniel served 16 years with Celebrity, and for five years as an HD. However, Daniel's most recent position was as Exec General Manager for the Sandman Hotel Grp (Canada), he departed from this position in March of this year.

Edited by WesW

Good Morning Village.Ins. The Crew we spoke to have some mixed feelings about The Clouds new Role. A number are a little apprehensive of the South Atlantic Itineraries as surprisingly a greater number than one would imagine do suffer from various degrees of Sea Sickness ( including some Officers ). They also are concerned that the level of Service they are used to providing could be compromised by the conditions - A Luxury experience in the South Atlantic is rather a new concept I believe.

As usual the Silversea Crew will no doubt come up trumps and it is some way off yet - they are also wondering whether they will make the move to The Muse, at the other end of the scale. A lot for them to consider but in any event they will keep smiling - They are the Silversea strongest weapon against competitors in our opinion.

The Crew we spoke to have some mixed feelings about The Clouds new Role... A Luxury experience in the South Atlantic is rather a new concept I believe.
SS seems to feel the luxury experience is worth roughly a 33% premium based on the price of identical itineraries of the Cloud and Explorer.

Sorry to hear that Sujhit has the left the company. He took great care of my family during our Norwegian/Russian voyage in the summer of 2015.

Am surprised he stayed so long. A class act among....well, not in mood to begin writing what is going through my mind.

Good Morning Village.Ins. The Crew we spoke to have some mixed feelings about The Clouds new Role. A number are a little apprehensive of the South Atlantic Itineraries as surprisingly a greater number than one would imagine do suffer from various degrees of Sea Sickness ( including some Officers ). They also are concerned that the level of Service they are used to providing could be compromised by the conditions - A Luxury experience in the South Atlantic is rather a new concept I believe.

As usual the Silversea Crew will no doubt come up trumps and it is some way off yet - they are also wondering whether they will make the move to The Muse, at the other end of the scale. A lot for them to consider but in any event they will keep smiling - They are the Silversea strongest weapon against competitors in our opinion.

Seabourn has exactly this concept for their Antarctica cruises. Very successful and a really pleasant experience. As a fan of Silversea for long I appreciate to find this concept on my preferred cruise line now and here year round.