Am I too fat to fly?

vinsheer

Have most recently only cruised close to home but would like to cruise from other ports where we would need to fly. I am 5'4" tall and weigh 200 lbs. Will I be asked to buy 2 seats? I don't want to be totally embarrassed as I board, would rather have an idea ahead of time. Are there certain airlines that are better for heavier people? Thanks in advance for any input from those who have experienced similar situation.

Have most recently only cruised close to home but would like to cruise from other ports where we would need to fly. I am 5'4" tall and weigh 200 lbs. Will I be asked to buy 2 seats? I don't want to be totally embarrassed as I board, would rather have an idea ahead of time. Are there certain airlines that are better for heavier people? Thanks in advance for any input from those who have experienced similar situation.

You'll be fine! I'm heavier than you and I fly a lot - especially long-hauls.

I'm 5'3 and 200 pounds (not happy about it, but that is what the scales says...) and I travel frequently for work with no issues. Some seats are more comfortable than others, but I've never spilled into the seat next to me.

You'll be fine!

I have a sister that is nearing 6ft and over 200lbs. How much she really weighs I don't know. My mother, my older sister, and I have been talking amongst each other on whether or not she will be asked to purchase a second seat. I do not want her to be embarrassed or not be able to go bc she did not factor in having to purchase an extra seat for $400 into her budget. I like the example of if she can fit in a seat in the theater she can fit on a plane. She goes to the movies a lot and never had a problem spilling into the seat next to her. This will be her first plane ride. I am hoping that she will be fine and not need another seat

At 5'7 and 271 I was able to fit into a plane seat... not the most comfortable experience but it worked. Same with theater and concert seating. Now at 180 it's a breeze. :) I couldn't believe how much roomier those seats got!

Actually a typical movie theater seat has considerably more room than a coach seat on a plane. Typical coach seats are 17-17.5" wide, while movie theater seats range from 19-23" wide.

I've suggested this before: Make a 17" wide cardboard "box" with a bottom, sides, and back. If you can fit into it without spilling out over the sides or pushing them out, you'll be fine. (Many who carry their weight in their belly have no problem with a coach seat.) If you can't fit into it without pushing out the sides or spilling over them, do yourself and those around you a favor and buy a second seat.

Don't expect your seat mate to leave the armrest up for you, and do expect them to protest if you spill over into their seat. On some carriers, they can and will deplane you if the flight is full and you can't fit into the seat without encroaching on your neighbors space.

It really comes down to where you carry your weight. You might fit fine while another person of the same height and weight will not be able to sit in the seat with the armrest down.

Try to book an aisle seat so you can use a bit more room there. Some airlines charge an extra $5-25 for aisle seats, in my opinion, it's well worth the slight additional cost for the extra room--even for slender people.

Try to book an aisle seat so you can use a bit more room there. Some airlines charge an extra $5-25 for aisle seats, in my opinion, it's well worth the slight additional cost for the extra room--even for slender people.

This is excellent advice! Having that extra space makes all the difference in the world. Of course the bad part is dealing with any overhead bin hogs that might have boarded before you!:rolleyes:

This is excellent advice! Having that extra space makes all the difference in the world. Of course the bad part is dealing with any overhead bin hogs that might have boarded before you!:rolleyes:

What does an overhead bin hog have to do with an aisle seat? Aisle seats have storage room under the seat in front of them just like middle an window seats do. In fact some have more than window seats due to the curve of the body of the plane.

What does an overhead bin hog have to do with an aisle seat? Aisle seats have storage room under the seat in front of them just like middle an window seats do. In fact some have more than window seats due to the curve of the body of the plane.

Because aisle seat passengers who don't have some kind of elite status with the airline are usually the last group to board and, due to some prior boarders putting anything and everything in the overhead bins, sometimes have trouble finding enough space for any carry-ons that might be too big to fit under the seat in front of them.

Because aisle seat passengers who don't have some kind of elite status with the airline are usually the last group to board and, due to some prior boarders putting anything and everything in the overhead bins, sometimes have trouble finding enough space for any carry-ons that might be too big to fit under the seat in front of them.

It depends on the carrier. US Airways boards disabled/special needs, then families with kids under five (or if there are a lot of them, families with kids under five who will bought seats for their kids and need to install car seats and families with kids under two), then elites who didn't get upgrades, then those in exit rows or bulkhead seats and US Airways Mastercard holders, then front to back everyone else.

They've gotten really fussy about carry ons as well, both the number and size of them, and really encourage people to check(for free) their roll aboards. A few weeks ago one of the gate agents in Orlando told a women she couldn't get on with her roll aboard, a stuffed full Disney shopping bag, and a pocketbook. I was waiting to hear something about my "extra" bag (I had a briefcase and small roll aboard plus a grocery plastic bag with a couple cheese sticks and protein bar for breakfast) but he must have seen it was food and didn't say a word. (Plus I was on a FC ticket--I love upgrades!)

Because aisle seat passengers who don't have some kind of elite status with the airline are usually the last group to board

Depends on the airline. Most airlines board in some fashion from back to front (or in a modified pyramid). Unless you are towards the front of the plane and don't have elite status, overhead space is not usually a problem - doesn't matter window or aisle.

Don't expect your seat mate to leave the armrest up for you, and do expect them to protest if you spill over into their seat.

Which is a good point... if you're traveling with someone else then odds are you are sitting next to them and will be able to raise the arm rest to make it more comfortable.

Which is a good point... if you're traveling with someone else then odds are you are sitting next to them and will be able to raise the arm rest to make it more comfortable.

Agreed, but don't ever count on this. If there is an equipment change, your flight is oversold, or for any number of other reasons your seats can be changed. Unless your travel companion is a child under five with their own paid seat or a disabled person who needs your assistance in-flight, there is never a guarantee that you'll be seated together. Chances are it won't happen, but you know how Murphy works when it comes to travel...

At 5'7 and 271 I was able to fit into a plane seat... not the most comfortable experience but it worked. Same with theater and concert seating. Now at 180 it's a breeze. :) I couldn't believe how much roomier those seats got!

Brilliantly done Sherilyn, that is some achievement.

I went from 242 to 171, but in the last year am back up to 218............ so am on diet again. Not a happy bunny, but still lighter than I was 3 years ago

I have a not so lovely bruise on my hip from a recent flight. I weigh about the same and I'm 5'7". I wear a 16 and I have wide hips--something that losing weight won't affect much. It was a tight fit for my hips and when trying to get out of the seat to let someone use the restroom I really whacked my side bad

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed, but don't ever count on this. If there is an equipment change, your flight is oversold, or for any number of other reasons your seats can be changed. Unless your travel companion is a child under five with their own paid seat or a disabled person who needs your assistance in-flight, there is never a guarantee that you'll be seated together. Chances are it won't happen, but you know how Murphy works when it comes to travel...

I have never flown but thinking about an Alaska cruise so would fly into Seattle.

Are you saying that if I buy tix for myself, my wife, and our kids, that there is a chance we wouldn't be able to sit together?

I am a big guy and was sort of counting on having my son next to me in case I do 'spill over'.

I have never flown but thinking about an Alaska cruise so would fly into Seattle.

Are you saying that if I buy tix for myself, my wife, and our kids, that there is a chance we wouldn't be able to sit together?

I am a big guy and was sort of counting on having my son next to me in case I do 'spill over'.

There is always a chance, but if you pick seats together you usually get them together. Even if you don't pick seats my experience is that airlines assume that the people who buy tickets together want to sit together and will sit you in a 3-1 or 2-2 configuration.

AND... If you children are younger and you find that you aren't seated together you can ask the gate attendent nicely if there is a way you can be seated together since you are seperated from your children. If there are seats available they will move you around and they will ask for volunteers to move so you can sit together.

Nothing is ever 100%, but this wouldn't be a big concern for me.

TigerStar,

One of the most important things you can do once booked is to monitor your family's reservation. You don't need to check it daily but once every couple of weeks will do. If there is an equipment change it will show up on your reservation. You may need to rebook your seats and the airlines are very accommodating.

That's exactly what I am saying. Your flight could be cancelled and you could be put on a different flight with different seats. They could change the type of plane for your flight--perhaps to a lsmaller plane--and again your seats could be jumbled. It happens more often than you'd think.

There is always a chance, but if you pick seats together you usually get them together. Even if you don't pick seats my experience is that airlines assume that the people who buy tickets together want to sit together and will sit you in a 3-1 or 2-2 configuration.

AND... If you children are younger and you find that you aren't seated together you can ask the gate attendent nicely if there is a way you can be seated together since you are seperated from your children. If there are seats available they will move you around and they will ask for volunteers to move so you can sit together.

Nothing is ever 100%, but this wouldn't be a big concern for me.

Gate agents will seldom do that anymore as most flights are booked within 90% of capacity and all that are left are single seats. They won't move a passenger to accommodate another except if the passenger needing a different seat is five or younger or disabled and needs the f/t attention of a companion.

Generally it's left up to flight attendants who more often than not tell passengers to try to get others to trade on their own. Don't ever expect to trade a middle seat for anything except another middle seat--and keep in mind that many others are also traveling together and don't want to split up.

I fly several times a month, and more and more I'm seeing oversold flights and no seats to move to.

Archived