Start of cruise - Nuremberg or Budapest?

2cool2cruise

Hi! We would like to experience river cruising for the first time and we're planning to do it in 2012. The Danube itinerary appeals to us and looking at itineraries, starting port is Nuremberg or in Budapest. Is there an advantage over the other?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

I have 2 thoughts, one directly to your question, and another idea. As far as which direction to go, look at the itinerary and see how much time you get in each port. On another thread, someone posted the fact that in one city they only got a few hours going one way.

Now for my suggestion: Instead of just doing the Danube, if you have the time and can afford it, why not take a cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. That way you will also see all the castles along the Rhine. We took Vantage's "Castles Along the Danube and Rhine" last year and enjoyed it thoroughly.

The story and pictures are on our website http://www.stevekathytravels.com We are also very happy to answer any questions you might have.

Hi! We would like to experience river cruising for the first time and we're planning to do it in 2012. The Danube itinerary appeals to us and looking at itineraries, starting port is Nuremberg or in Budapest. Is there an advantage over the other?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Welcome to Rivercruising, you will love it!! We are getting ready to take our 2nd river cruise in November with Avalon on the Panorama, The Blue Danube Discovery. Starts in Budapest and ends in Prague.We are going into Budapest 2 days early for sightseeing and staying extra in Prague after as this is our first trip to these locations. Should be great!! This just happened to be the itinerary direction of this particular cruise. I am not sure if it really matters which way you start with initially. I guess it is just personal preference or what route works for the dates you want to travel. Various cruise lines offer the Danube cruise going both directions. Good luck with your choice:)

I would look into a cruise that maybe starts/ends in Amsterdam for easier access to the airports

I have yet to see a river cruise line list the times in port... so not sure how you decide using that criteria

Either way i would fly in a day or more early & spend some time at the end of the cruise to explore the sights of that city

We are doing Amsterdam to Budapest next year & planning extra time pre & post cruise

We have just done the Blue Danube Discovery with Avalon. We were first-time cruisers (my review has just been posted). My own opinion re this particular route (Budapest to Prague) is that I'm glad I saw Prague after Budapest because nothing can beat Prague for beauty - even in the rain!

I also agree that it's swings and roundabouts with whichever route you take as, apart from having your own private ship, you are never going to have the perfect cruise that stops where you want, as long as you want.

Now that I have experienced the river I would make enquiries in future as to estimates of "shore time" from the company involved to enable me to choose a route.

If anyone has any queries about this cruise, or the included/optional tours I would be happy to help as I gleaned so much information from the contributors on this forum before our trip.

I would like to thank all the regular contributors for their continuing time and effort in helping the newbies like me!

We have just done the Blue Danube Discovery with Avalon. We were first-time cruisers (my review has just been posted). My own opinion re this particular route (Budapest to Prague) is that I'm glad I saw Prague after Budapest because nothing can beat Prague for beauty - even in the rain!

I also agree that it's swings and roundabouts with whichever route you take as' date=' apart from having your own private ship, you are never going to have the perfect cruise that stops where you want, as long as you want.

Now that I have experienced the river I would make enquiries in future as to estimates of "shore time" from the company involved to enable me to choose a route.

If anyone has any queries about this cruise, or the included/optional tours I would be happy to help as I gleaned so much information from the contributors on this forum before our trip.

I would like to thank all the regular contributors for their continuing time and effort in helping the newbies like me![/quote']

I would love to read your review but cannot locate it on the CCBoards, can you please give the link to where it is posted. Thanks. We are doing this cruise in November on the Panorama so I am interested in the good as well as the "needs improvement" ....if there is some. We were very happy with our 1st Avalon cruise last year and were hoping this upcoming one to be as good if not better.:) Thanks!

To answer your specific question, I would start in Budapest...and even get there a day or two earlier if you can.

We did a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise which included a stop in Nuremberg.

Nuremberg was definitely interesting, however, we found Budapest to be an extremely lovely city with much to do and see!

My wife and I vow to return to BUD to spend some more time there because we enjoyed it so much.

Sooooo...IMHO start in BUD!

We sailed out of Budapest last night at about 9pm heading to Amsterdam on Amawaterways, APT Tours ship Amabella and the way all the buildings were lit up on the shore was one of those things you have to see to believe. Words can't really explain the sights.

APT Tours are really looking after us in every way possible. nothing is too much trouble.

We have done about 5 or 6 ocean cruises and are now thoroughly enjoying the difference.

DW and I with four other friends (2 couples) are taking a Uniworld Cruise "Enchanting Danube" next Summer and I was looking for tips about the same question you asked. I settled for the Budapest to Passau (Northerly route) direction because I read several places on these boards that the Budapest airport is really confusing... "no lines... everyone bunched up," with "all announcements in Hungarian only," and other long waits and confusing situations, whereas the Prague airport was much more organized and less harrowing. For that reason I decided to fly INTO Budapest where all you do is get off the plane, get your luggage and leave the airport.. no waiting in line for tickets, security, right gate, etc. You might want to do the same to avoid what people say is a difficult airport.

We did Budapest to Prague and enjoyed having Prague as our last stop as it was the most beautiful place I've ever been. We arrived 2 days early in Budapest and were picked up at the airport. When we sailed out of Budapest all of the buildings were lit up and it was gorgeous. One other thing to consider is the 4 hour bus ride from Nuremberg to Prague. It was nice to have that at the end of the cruise, then checking into the hotel, exploring Prague for a few days and flying out of Prague.

We cruised from Budapest to Nuremberg with Viking last year. In Budapest we were moored right by the Chain Bridge - a spectacular mooring spot with amazing views (from the Port side) provided there's not another boat alongside yours.. There was a night market just through the other side of the bridge with a real buzz. Where you would be moored outside Nuremberg isn't nearly as breath-taking as a starting point. Each stop that you will make has it's own appeal in different ways - but I would say if you want to start with the WOW factor, start in Budapest. If you're going to be a bit jet lagged, do it the other way round...

I would look into a cruise that maybe starts/ends in Amsterdam for easier access to the airports

I have yet to see a river cruise line list the times in port... so not sure how you decide using that criteria

Either way i would fly in a day or more early & spend some time at the end of the cruise to explore the sights of that city

We are doing Amsterdam to Budapest next year & planning extra time pre & post cruise

Here are some ideas based on this post and others above.

If you want to get an idea of time in ports go to Vantage Deluxe World Travel's web site and choose a river cruise. You can then download a free e-travel guide that will include the itinerary in both north and south directions with port times listed for each port. While times vary with each line it will give you an idea.

Budapest is truly spectacular and is wonderful as a starting or ending port. I did not find the Budapest airport any more difficult than many others I have been in so I don't think that should be a factor in your decision.

I agree with the poster that suggested an itinerary that included Budapest-Amsterdam. If you just go to Nuremberg you will miss one of the most spectacular stretches of the Rhine. If time and or money are a factor in a longer itinerary stick to your original plans.

Amsterdam is definitely an easy in and easy out airport but the only river cruises that begin and end in Amsterdam are the spring tulip and windmill cruises that usually include only Belgium and the Netherlands.

I've done Vantage Castles along the Rhine and Danube and Vantage Tulips and Windmills and both were wonderful.

Whatever you choose look carefully at what is included for the price. Some lines seem higher but include more. You have to choose based on your priorities and preferences.

You can get a lot of good information on these boards.

Gianna

Archived