What Is casual country club dress

micmse2003

I'm not worried about what to wear for shore excursions. Planning layers and rain gear. I'm looking for suggestions about attire on the ship, especially in the restaurants.

Our first cruise was to Alaska during late July, early August. For excursions, we took Columbia style pants and sturdy hiking shoes. For tops, I had long sleeve cotton shirts, a down vest, a fleece (but light weight) jacket and a North Face rain jacket with hood. Also took a knit cap and gloves and needed them when we were close to the glaciers.

Also carried a collapsible backpack into which all the various layers could go when not needed. Weather very changeable and once you're off the ship, you're stuck with what you have on hand.

Summer weight clothes, including white linen pants, were fine for dinner. I don't believe that the location had much to do with how people dressed for dinner - certainly not any more casual. One pair black dressy slacks, one pair white -- tops that were interchangeable for both. But daytime attire was pretty much casual hiking stuff.

If the male chooses to go to La Reserve, and doesn't wear a sport jacket, he will probably find himself the only there choosing to not do so. In the specialties typically about 50% of the men wear jackets. Not required, just saying what is often typical.

Don't know about this, I really don't like to wear a jacket to dinner, however for La Reserve I did----however only 3 men did the jacket thing, others very nice shirts.

Rick

Thank you, Rick...that's exactly what my husband wanted to know! He would be uncomfortable not taking any jackets with him and would be one of those wearing one in a specialty restaurant. Now he's starting to understand his options and to leave the ties at home!

...If the male chooses to go to La Reserve, and doesn't wear a sport jacket, he will probably find himself the only there choosing to not do so...

In Alaska, dined in La Reserve with FDR, Vern Lundquist, one of Oceania's investors, their wives and two other couples. No jackets. Actually, Mr. Lundquist wore a jacket, but quickly shed it when the rest of us did not.

If the male chooses to go to La Reserve, and doesn't wear a sport jacket, he will probably find himself the only there choosing to not do so. In the specialties typically about 50% of the men wear jackets. Not required, just saying what is often typical.

Don't know about this, I really don't like to wear a jacket to dinner, however for La Reserve I did----however only 3 men did the jacket thing, others very nice shirts.

Rick

so after digesting this thread for a few days, I think it boils down to where what you want (as long as you look nice). If the men want to wear a jacket, it's fine and if they don't, that's fine too.

Ladies - wear what you are comfortable in - if you like swishy casual skirts fine, if you like chicos, designer jeans, fine and if you happen to like to wear something that makes you feel special, no biggie.

So wear what makes you feel good and what you enjoy. If DH is the only man with a sports jacket - who cares? and vice versa.

As long as you feel good and look good, it's all good.

By jove, I think I've got it :)

Edited by kazu

In Alaska, dined in La Reserve with FDR, Vern Lundquist, one of Oceania's investors, their wives and two other couples. No jackets. Actually, Mr. Lundquist wore a jacket, but quickly shed it when the rest of us did not.

Are you sure??

So wear what makes you feel good and what you enjoy. If DH is the only man with a sports jacket - who cares? and vice versa.

As long as you feel good and look good, it's all good.

By jove, I think I've got it :)

You got it :D

Go and enjoy

Are you sure??

Actually, I'm not sure it was Alaska. I initially thought that because FDR was aboard the whole cruise. But, now that I think about it, it was on Marina so it was probably the May, 2014 cruise from NYC to London. FDR was on board until Quebec. I guess it doesn't really matter where the ship was...

Edited by hondorner

Actually, I'm not sure it was Alaska. I initially thought that because FDR was aboard the whole cruise. But, now that I think about it, it was on Marina so it was probably the May, 2014 cruise from NYC to London. FDR was on board until Quebec. I guess it doesn't really matter where the ship was...

I am not sure the O class ships have been to Alaska so you could not have dined in La Reserve then

I believe Mr Lundquist was the guest speaker on the crossing in 2014

So the facts only count when it suits you :rolleyes:

I am not sure the O class ships have been to Alaska so you could not have dined in La Reserve then

I believe Mr Lundquist was the guest speaker on the crossing in 2014

So the facts only count when it suits you :rolleyes:

So, my memory problem of which cruise it was is worth a snarky comment? I dined with FDR on both of them. It is a fact that I dined in La Reserve as I stated, and it is a fact that no jackets were worn, definitely no suits...

• 10 months later...

I know that this is off topic, but this thread (from last year) has posts from Don Horner. We miss his posts and his humor so much. He was such a gentlemen and the voice of reason on the Oceania board. Rest in Peace Don.

I know that this is off topic, but this thread (from last year) has posts from Don Horner. We miss his posts and his humor so much. He was such a gentlemen and the voice of reason on the Oceania board. Rest in Peace Don.

Well said.