HAL vs Oceania

Hflors

Well last night at dinner dh brought up our last cruise on Ryndam and how bad the food was. We have a cruise booked on HAL for next year and he was sort of complaining about doing it again and how he wasn't looking forward to bad food and bad service three cruises in a row. (Zuiderdam our cruise last year was just as bad as Ryndam this year) Service in the main dining room was pretty lacking. So I said well I think if you are interested is a bit better cruise we could look at Oceania. So now I am on a quest to look at comparing the two cruise lines. I know the price will be a bit higher, but if the food is better I think dh is going to be happy.

Can anyone who has cruised HAL and Oceania compare the food and service between the two lines?

Our last b2b cruise was on the Veendam. The food was actually better than our previous b2b cruise on the Statendam or maybe I adjusted my expectations. ;) HAL spends less money per passenger on food than Oceania does. HAL also caters to the 'bland food is best' crowd. The buffet is boring. Their 'German Black Forest Cake' is an insult to any self respecting original cake of that name etc. I like the layout of the Dam ships and many features about them but food is not one of them.

I really like Oceania's food, especially their truly sumptuous breakfast buffet, their daily sushi, their genuine French bakery products, their French cheeses, the selections in the main dining room, the included specialty restaurants Jacques and Red Ginger. I think your husband will be pleased with the food on Oceania.

I have nothing negative to say about the service on both lines. I have spent two months on each and two months on Princess ships. Service was always decent with individual differences of highs and lows depending on the personalities of the staff involved.

I responded to your request on the HAL website and wish to add the following.

You should be aware that Oceania's price on their website usually includes airfare and all taxes. This is important for overseas travel. On our first Oceania cruise in March 2013, our price for 14 days from Miami to Barcelona for a standard balcony cabin was approximately $2100 but included airfare from Barcelona back to Florida.

We have been very lucky that we have received pre-paid gratuities on all our cruises, received and accepted generous upsells on four of our cruises and on our cruise in two days, free unlimited internet.

I see that you have already found another thread which answered this question more fully, and included lots of food photographs, so I'll just tell you here that you did the right thing in switching over from HAL.

LOL, I guess I qualify as an ancient Mariner, because Grandma threw my tenth birthday on the old-old-old Nieuw Amsterdam (that's three ships ago!), but we discovered Oceania when HAL food and service standards started slipping faster than we were able to lower our expectations, which was, EEK, more than a decade ago, at this point (2003 ish).

Much to our delight, Oceania seemed to BE what HAL WAS in the mid 1970's, which is to say a smallish Line where food is king and management still cares about the really important things.

We have not looked back since.

Our experience is similar to what others have posted but our start with HAL is not quite as ancient as StanandJim's - more like when Maasdam was still nieuw. We got hooked on Oceania in 2005 after trying out a larger vessel before settling on Insignia for South America.

We still use HAL for some some itineraries and budgetary reasons but there really is no comparison to Oceania for food and service. Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind are good but nothing like O's venues.

Our cabin service in a SS suite on Zuiderdam last December was ridiculous. 5 days out of 7 our cabin was not made up until after 3 pm and that was even after I questioned it after the 2nd time it happened. When I called housekeeping they asked if I needed the cabin made up by a certain time - I said "well no but by noon would be nice".

There is a good chance you will be very pleased with the food, service and size of Oceania. Enjoy!

We did a Eurodam cruise in Nov

Ship was much bigger than O ships (lots of walking)

Food was OK we did manage to gain a couple of LBS :D

never ate in the GDR as we got stuck with second sitting too late for us

Liked the desserts in the LIDO better on HAL

We prefer the open dining on Oceania

The entertainment may be better on HAL

excursions cheaper on HAL but we DIY for the most part anyway

Paying for Cappuccino, bottled water & sodas was a pain but did not kill us

I would give Oceania a try if you are not happy with HAL then decide for yourself

JMO

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

We actually have lost weight on HAL cruises, the food was that bad! Oceania is a totally different story--very good food and some stand-out stars! In addition, the O ships do not look like your grandmother's living room in 1970. Riviera and Marina are, IMO, the most beautiful ships at sea.

Ricki

If you are a foodie than Oceania will cater more to your taste .the ships are smaller so service is good.I found food on Oceania better than any other company .Except be advised fruit is only served at breakfast at the buffet .It is not as elaborate as other companies but very adequate,There is less waste as youare served your food .....you do not touch utensils or plates .Im not sure if this was to avoid illness or waste..I found it much less wasteful ....as portions given were small .although you could always ask for more

If you like specialty restaurants here they are included ...not free as you already paid for them .i enjoyed Red Ginger and Polo butt not so much Toscana or Jacques which i found too buttery for my taste

But it was fun to try them all

yes Oceania is more expensive but if it included air,tips ,internet ....it is comparable .and can even work out to be cheaper ..depending where you are going ....

Do the Math ..try Oceania once then you can judge if its for you

I liked our cruise ...hated Miami call centre ...but would not hesitate to take another cruise with them if the above were included in the final price

Look for bargains ,...they do offer them

Bon Voyage

We actually have lost weight on HAL cruises, the food was that bad! Oceania is a totally different story--very good food and some stand-out stars! In addition, the O ships do not look like your grandmother's living room in 1970. Riviera and Marina are, IMO, the most beautiful ships at sea.

Ricki

I am a frequent HAL cruiser and never lost weight on their cruises; maybe because I substituted desserts for meat & fish :D ! Please do not post this on HAL CC site; you will be flamed !

Hope to meet you in a couple of days on Oceania wearing by double expandable pants :eek:

Rick

...Can anyone who has cruised HAL and Oceania compare the food and service between the two lines?
We are very close to being 5* Mariners on HAL but we're done with them as soon as we use our last FCD. So many things have gone steadily downhill on HAL in recent years that the cruise line is barely recognizable from when we started sailing them in the early '90s. We discovered Oceania in '09 and can confidently say that there is absolutely no comparison on food between HAL and Oceania. As you have experienced, food on HAL is mediocre at best with inferior ingredients and uninspired menus. Oceania wins hands down with quality ingredients, proper execution and artful presentation. Sure the per diems are higher on Oceania than HAL, but the price difference gets you meticulous ships, well appointed staterooms, luxe bedding, outstanding food, friendly crews and attentive service. Try getting that on HAL at any price.

If you are a foodie than Oceania will cater more to your taste .the ships are smaller so service is good.I found food on Oceania better than any other company .Except be advised fruit is only served at breakfast at the buffet.

Since when? I mean, that fruit is only available at breakfast in the buffet? My husband always orders the mixed fruit platter in the GDR for breakfast. Actually, there are two choices -- the smaller one is the mixed berries. The fruit platter is enough for dinner, I find ... It usually has a couple of slices of cantaloupe and honey dew, plus some other choices. True, the quality of the melons can be variable ...

Mura

Since when? I mean, that fruit is only available at breakfast in the buffet? My husband always orders the mixed fruit platter in the GDR for breakfast. Actually, there are two choices -- the smaller one is the mixed berries. The fruit platter is enough for dinner, I find ... It usually has a couple of slices of cantaloupe and honey dew, plus some other choices. True, the quality of the melons can be variable ...

Mura

I think she's saying that "in the buffet fruit is only available at breakfast". Not that I'm sure that's correct or not. Can't really remember if it was there at lunch and dinner in the buffet.

I'm pretty sure you can still get it in the GDR or room service at breakfast.

That is our experience, too. We've been able to order fruit in the suite as well.

I guess the original comment wasn't really clear between "only available at breakfast in the buffet" or "only available at breakfast".

Mura

I am a frequent HAL cruiser and never lost weight on their cruises; maybe because I substituted desserts for meat & fish :D ! Please do not post this on HAL CC site; you will be flamed !

Hope to meet you in a couple of days on Oceania wearing by double expandable pants :eek:

Rick

Hi Rick,

People have their favorites and food is very subjective, so I wouldn't dare post this on HAL! My first dessert on Riviera on Monday will be their wonderful coconut cake in Red Ginger! Yum!

Looking forward to meeting you on Monday at the M&M!

Ricki

Edited by ricki

After 4 cruises on HAL, each 2 weeks, our last was nearly 2 years ago. To tell the truth, I was never terribly disappointed in HAL. Last year we took a 2 week TA on the Riviera, and here we are...never ever going back to HAL. Yes, O is more expensive...I'd say pretty substantially so. That said, we found virtually everything better on O. The food, the included specialty restaurants...the multiple cappuccinos I had daily without getting out my card. No broken furniture or shabbiness. Great service from a wonderful crew ( have to say I think the Hal crew nice too, but really overworked). We joined lovely folks from our roll calls for great excursions. If and when I cruise solo I may return to HAL but not before then. I suggest, as others did, that you try Oceania and see the difference yourself!

Hi Rick,

People have their favorites and food is very subjective, so I wouldn't dare post this on HAL! My first dessert on Riviera on Monday will be their wonderful coconut cake in Red Ginger! Yum!

Looking forward to meeting you on Monday at the M&M!

Ricki

We will be dining at the Polo (Grille) on Monday. I will pass on desserts since I will be consuming two bowls of lobster bisque. I do not wish to go "overboard" on Day 1 :eek:

See you at the M&G.

Oceania, hands down. Food is fabulous, service is excellent, and it is just an overall better experience. However, we did go on HAL to the Antarctica, and that trip could not have been better. We had a suite, and our service was above and beyond, but I don't believe it was just because we had a suite as we had friends who had the standard balcony and they raved about their service as well. It is the luck of a draw.

We can stay at one well-known chain hotel, and in the very next city staying at the same chain hotel, and everything is totally unsatisfactory.

Anyway, Oceania is my number 1 choice, but I do not rule out HAL.

Mura

In French Polynesia on Marina .....they only served fruit in the am .at the buffet ..however a nice variety but i was told by MD fruit only in the morning ...so thats when I enjoyed my fruit ..fruit salad at lunch ...i do not like fruit salad that sits .....never saw any fruit at night ..nor was it on menu in the MDR

In French Polynesia on Marina .....they only served fruit in the am .at the buffet ..however a nice variety but i was told by MD fruit only in the morning ...so thats when I enjoyed my fruit ..fruit salad at lunch ...i do not like fruit salad that sits .....never saw any fruit at night ..nor was it on menu in the MDR

French Polynesia is a triple threat, it's difficult (and expensive) to provision the ships there; the Airplane schedules are a nightmare for Cruise Passengers unless one is willing to stay in an expensive Polynesian hotel pre or post Cruise, and those islands must import everything from bagels to shoelaces by Airfreight so everyday expenses can mount quickly.

To add insult to injury, whatever tropical fruit is grown locally there, is primarily exported, because those same cargo holds which bring in the bagels, must leave the islands full, as well.

Airlines often own controlling interests in plantations for this very reason....

After 6 HAL cruises we took our first Oceania cruise in Jan. on the Riviera (about the same size as Maasdam).

1. Food is much, much better on O. No charge for 4 specialty restaurants; the buffet restaurant is really good (and no self-service the entire cruise). However, HAL gets the nod for room service breakfast. O only offers hot breakfast for elite cabins. Everyone else gets continental. (the breakfast in the O buffet is so good, we went there every morning after the first day). The hot dogs and reubens at the Waves grill on Riviera were great.

2. O entertainment was surprisingly good, especially the singers, but I liked the magicians, and ventriloquists we had on HAL.

3. No photographers on O! Wonderful! Very few announcements on Oceania which was appreciated. Overall, passengers on Oceania are treated more like adults than on HAL. The muster drill on O is also a much better, and educational, experience.

4. Ship excursions on O are obscenely overpriced. This won't matter to most on CC who book independent tours.

5. No Promenade deck on Oceania. Advantage HAL.

6. On our most recent HAL cruises, the cabin and MDR stewards seemed overworked. I didn't get the same feeling about the O crew (both crews were outstanding...I only wish all the passengers were as kind and good-natured).

7. My wife is a swimmer. She liked the Riviera pool much more than the pools on HAL.

8. We're currently planning a family Baltic cruise on the Eurodam because we like the itinerary. After that we'll probably stick with Oceania.

9. Oceania and HAL are both good choices in my opinion.