Bringing alcohol on board update please

Balloon Man

It's been more than a year since we last sailed with Oceania. Has the fairly relaxed policy of allowing adult guests to bring a reasonable amount of wine and spirits on board at embarkation changed under the new ownership?

We used to encounter no problem in openly bringing four bottles of wine and a couple of bottles of spirits on board to drink in our cabin. Don't want to be embarrassed when we join Insignia later this year.

Thank you for your help.

It's been more than a year since we last sailed with Oceania. Has the fairly relaxed policy of allowing adult guests to bring a reasonable amount of wine and spirits on board at embarkation changed under the new ownership?

We used to encounter no problem in openly bringing four bottles of wine and a couple of bottles of spirits on board to drink in our cabin. Don't want to be embarrassed when we join Insignia later this year.

Thank you for your help.

Someone ought to make this a sticky. The new ownership is run by the old Oceania management! No changes to Oceania.

The FAQ has migrated to the bottom footer of the website.

In it, I found this:

What is your alcohol policy?

The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be limited to guests aged 21 years or older. Oceania Cruises will refuse and prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages to guests under the age of 21 years. Guests are kindly reminded to consume alcohol in moderation. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption on board the vessel.

My bolding.

and:

Can I purchase bottles of wine at ports of call and bring them on board?

Guests wishing to purchase wine in a port of call and bring it on board with them may do so, limited to three (3) bottles per stateroom. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship's dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

Edited by Tansy Mews

I asked the same question some months ago after reading the alcohol policy which says they "reserve the right to.... etc etc"

They do reserve the right but they allow it as they expect adult behaviour from their passengers.

Last month we were on the Regatta and took a few bottles on board. No problems.

The FAQ has migrated to the bottom footer of the website.

In it, I found this:

What is your alcohol policy?

The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be limited to guests aged 21 years or older. Oceania Cruises will refuse and prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages to guests under the age of 21 years. Guests are kindly reminded to consume alcohol in moderation. Oceania Cruises reserves the right to prohibit and retain all alcohol bought ashore for consumption on board the vessel.

My bolding.

and:

Can I purchase bottles of wine at ports of call and bring them on board?

Guests wishing to purchase wine in a port of call and bring it on board with them may do so, limited to three (3) bottles per stateroom. Guests are welcome to enjoy their wine in the comfort and privacy of their stateroom or suite, or, if they prefer, may enjoy their wine in one of the ship's dining rooms. Any wine consumed in the dining room or a public area will be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00 per bottle.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

That's another which has been answered ad infinitum. The written policy is to cover the rare eventually that it is needed. It is not enforced unless someone is obnoxious due to drink. They can control what they sell, but need the rule to control drunken behavior due to what they brought on board.

They can never admit the rule is not enforced or it would be useless. Trust the dozens of folks who have reported the experience.

That's another which has been answered ad infinitum. The written policy is to cover the rare eventually that it is needed. It is not enforced unless someone is obnoxious due to drink. They can control what they sell, but need the rule to control drunken behavior due to what they brought on board.

They can never admit the rule is not enforced or it would be useless. Trust the dozens of folks who have reported the experience.

I have brought wine on board with no problem.

Having been on three overseas O cruises over the past 12 months (most recently this month), I have not experienced any issue bringing wine onboard. Bottles were not hidden and are often in the standard cardboard carry-on box of 3 - 4 bottles. The packages always passed through the metal detection machine at security when returning to the ship.

While the ship's wine list is fine for dining venues, we enjoy local wines difficult to obtain at home. In Malta, Greece and Italy, its a pleasure to have local wines to enjoy in our cabin. I have brought back many and never encountered a problem onboard.

One passenger I know shipped two cases of champagne and French wines from home and consumed the 36 bottles during the cruise. He claims there was no issue for the ship to accept the cases at embarkation nor was there any concern voiced about the amount he was planning to enjoy in private. Glub, glub, glub.

No problem getting it through check in?

You don't have to "get it through" -- just bring it on, in your hand, or in a bag, or in a purse, it doesn't matter. If it's in a bag or purse it will have to go through Xray with anything else in the bag, but there will be no problem, or even a comment. They really and truly don't care!

That is great...just have to pack it good because of airline rules about liquids on carryon....Disney no problem ...RRCL. .

.our water went into luggage jail on deck one. They did let us keep the water. Lol...they thought it was liquor. ..

• 3 weeks later...

I like to have a cocktail in our room most evenings so I like to bring along those single-serve size bottles like you get on the airplane. They are easy to pack, and I just get my mixers on the ship. Have never had a problem.

How about bringing on other beverages such as a few bottles of coke or bottled water? Does Oceania have an issue with that?

Why? Water, soft drinks and juices are included in your fare. If you want a particular beverage, have your TA request it ahead of time and you will have it waiting for you.

Donna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about bringing on other beverages such as a few bottles of coke or bottled water? Does Oceania have an issue with that?

You will find coke & bottled water in your cabin NO EXTRA CHARGE

Have you read the brochure or website to see what is included on Oceania ???

• 1 year later...

Wondering if anything has changed regarding bringing liquor bottles aboard in the year and a half since this thread was last active. Am planning a 30+ day cruise with Oceania. We like a drink in the cabin before dinner and plan to bring 3 bottles plus a small bottle of vermouth. Hoping that's within reason and doesn't look like we're going into business and opening our own bar.

is there a shop to buy liquor onboard Marina (or any O ship)? if so, are purchases held to last day of cruise for pick-up or delivered to cabin on last day vs. allowing you to carry to cabin at purchase?

None of the ships carry liquor in their shops.