Riviera Live - Lisbon to Rome

kekilia

Just embarked and looking forward to this 10 day adventure. The suite is extravagant and from a small sample off the buffet, the food looks promising. Right off the bat, I discovered a crab and avocado salad that had a twist, a slight bit of heat which elevated the dish from dull deli to foodie-licious!

Boarded at 11 am, very easy security, health questionnaire and just my bad luck to get a trainee at check-in. But, the suite was ready so we were able to unpack and settle before going to the buffet. Going a bit later than the crowds paid off as we had our choice of any location to sit. We chose an aft outdoor table.

Internet sign up was a breeze using my iPad. Now, I will post some pictures if I can get Tapatalk to upload them.:)

I look forward to hearing and seeing more from you!

For your next lunch, do go to Waves Grill for a surf and turf sandwich with fries! Great sandwich with half a lobster tail and a thin slice (but not too thin) of fillet which you can have grilled to order. Or dump the delicious ciabatta roll and just eat the surf, turf and fries. :D

And the Terrace Grill at night has every kind of steak, lobster, shrimp, lamb and fish cooked to order for dinner every night. No, they do not rotate through the list each night, they have all of them every night. To die for!! ;);)

Take care of the Riviera, I'lll be on her next month out of Civitaveccia.

Edited by George'sGal

Here is a picture from the Terrace aft of Lisbon. Had to take this color coordinated scene!

a54608c6bcbca626e8aec9131473f6e4.jpg

Darn, I couldn't rotate it! Will try again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
Repositioned such LARGE photos since they make post waaay too wide for most screens.

July 8 - Sea Day. On route to our first port of Malaga, we will have this day for ship's activities. Last evening, we ate dinner in the GDR. First, it was a beautiful venue. I would describe it as quiet and elegant with excellent and attentive service. Soft colors and delicately extravagant crystal lighting crowned by the masterpiece chandelier made the experious luxurious without feeling formal. The staff were efficient and personable, and seemed to quickly learn the type of diner you were. Because we are very light eaters, the waiter and his assistant were at first concerned that we were not happy with our food. In fact, no matter how good the food is, we can only tolerate small portions or suffer the gastronomic consequences! Having suffered through three flights of terrible food, we were just recovering and not tempting fate. Regarding the food, I found the MDR lacking in both quality and freshness. I had a Signature steak, which was cooked perfectly but was simply a poor quality meat; the baked potato had been cooked ahead and was neither crispy on the outside nor powdery on the inside. Also, I tried the Canyon Ranch chocolate mouse that was rather tasteless and had the texture of Jello pudding rather than a whipped, light mouse. On a brighter note, the Boston lettuce salad was excellent and the waiter tried so hard to help by bringing me a selection of petit fours that contained a delicious little caramel tartlet. My recommendation, as oft mentioned here, is to go to the Terrace Cafe, which I did for breakfast.

Second, we are in an OS and it is everything and more that one could want in a Suite. I love the modern, clean style. Absolutely love the wet bar, which was stocked by evening from my selection of wines from the suite wine list, which is adequate. The amenities just keep coming, including the Bulgari gift set, and large terry quilted bag filled with a cap and a visor, two logo beach towels and a Shady sun kit of sunscreen and lip balm. Our room attendant, Jahaira, is warm and passionate as well as her assistant Mariano, who have the suite cleaned as soon as we return from breakfast. Unfortunately, our butler, Ivo, is more aloof and seems reluctant to go out of his way to try to do the small things not specifically on his list. For example, I asked for Diet Coke and was told they only have Coke light and that I should have made a special request prior to cruise through my TA. I responded by telling him that I just didn't think such a common thing as Diet Coke would need a special request, I was then told how little he could do and how he has to follow "policy." I asked him to see if he could find anything without sugar and then he he seems to realize that I am not happy, so he says he will try. And, to his credit, he does return with Coke Zero! I chalk this up to a case of communication and vow to be patient and try to better phrase my requests. Later, he cannot arrange getting me invitations for my cocktail party, but will order the catering. He send me to the concierge a floor down, who is not there. I end up writing my own invitations on stationery (now I understand the importance of "personalized" stationery!) and delivering them myself. He cannot speak with the maitre d for our reservation to get us a window seat, but after asking what he can do, he says he will try this evening when it opens. Not that this is ever confrontational or rude and in all his assigned duties, he is pleasant. It's just a grey different attitude than I have experienced with previous butlers. This is just the first day and I feel as though I have been sufficiently "trained" and that things will get better.

Currently we are sailing southwest in the Atlantic on very calm seas. The ship is very stable and the comfort level and spaciousness of our suite and the common areas are the high points of this cruise. The bed is everything that is promoted. The weather is delightful, the activities are plentiful and the passengers are a great mix of couples, seniors and younger as well, a few families. The diversity is less than mass market, mainly English speaking countries. Here are some pics.

b546a51273b6b1b8402fad867a876847.jpg

1330d981968e177fff9d4975a81a48da.jpg

b0b09b274287eeb5db31e9b85c701bca.jpg

81ac661e67dc467ebc0442ba10aa55cb.jpg

c3f49ba2ca8989e9272a8a3a2eef0593.jpg

Repositioned such LARGE photos since they make post waaay too wide for most screens.

Here are a few more.

69638da35d323e20c684c25337d95012.jpg

3da4d0827f62d62ae14c67335e52848f.jpg

d8707820bfc636e5163cf067d9f4eb4e.jpg

4a96ec8ca38b753c08a9ed0ccec9d33f.jpg

b97be21719b7fea0bb751b6563b2d4c0.jpg

9188e2cb5f86058aa422b3a60a6b9656.jpg

Too bad about the butler. You'd think that in an OS the butler would be falling all over you to be helpful. Some would just ask for a different butler. You might want to talk to him, and tell him what you think, and that he's not doing his job the way it's intended. It might work. At the least, if he doesn't improve, you will want to give him a bad review (which he will hate--our butler was positively ingratiating trying to get a good one.)

In Europe you cannot get Diet Coke. It's Coke Light or Coke Zero. It is a bit different but unless you knew this ahead to order it - just one of the little differences. I think that there is a communication difference - this is something the Butler cannot do because they cannot provision it for you without extended notice you want Diet Coke. A real first world problem!

It's 10 years since we were in an OS (on Regatta) but we've always had great butlers, no matter whether we were in a VS, OC or PH. It doesn't sound like this guy wants to do his job. Whenever we've asked a butler to do something out of the ordinary, he's done it with a smile.

Mura

It's 10 years since we were in an OS (on Regatta) but we've always had great butlers, no matter whether we were in a VS, OC or PH. It doesn't sound like this guy wants to do his job. Whenever we've asked a butler to do something out of the ordinary, he's done it with a smile.

Mura

I am going to swim against the current here, just a bit. As Chat Kat said, the soda request was a no-win for this butler. And let's remember that the ability to be pleased sometimes is predicated on a willingness to be pleased. Sad that OP is not very happy, but that is pretty much what I expected based on ore-cruise communication.....

I hope she asks for a different butler, and that this is more satisfactory.

Apologies if this seems harsh - not meant to be.

Donna

I am going to swim against the current here, just a bit.

Me, too. Let me get this straight: you broke his chops over the label on a can of soda the first day? :D

This will go well.

Here's hoping for a swift recovery, and that you do have an acceptable cruise.

From the Coca Cola website:

What is the difference between Coca-Cola Zero®, Diet Coke® and Coke/Coca-Cola light®?

Coca-Cola Zero provides real Coca-Cola taste for variety-seeking consumers. Coca-Cola Zero is sweetened with a blend of low-calorie sweeteners, while Diet Coke is sweetened with aspartame. As for Coke/Coca-Cola light, in certain countries, the term "diet" is not used to describe low-calorie foods and beverages. In these countries, we offer Coke/Coca-Cola light. The sweetener blend used for Coke/Coca-Cola light is formulated for each country based on consumer preference.

This page shows nutritional information for Coke Light:

I see no sugar, I think it's all branding.

http://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/5449000037978/coca-cola-light

Do the cans you have there show sugar on the nutrition information?

I am going to swim against the current here, just a bit. As Chat Kat said, the soda request was a no-win for this butler. And let's remember that the ability to be pleased sometimes is predicated on a willingness to be pleased. Sad that OP is not very happy, but that is pretty much what I expected based on ore-cruise communication.....

I hope she asks for a different butler, and that this is more satisfactory.

Apologies if this seems harsh - not meant to be.

Donna

I think I will swim with you for now :D

The fact that the butler couldn't come up with a product that Oceania cannot stock in Europe is certainly not his fault. But it sounds like his attitude IS.

Then again, we don't know how the request was phrased ...

Mura

I think I will swim with you for now :D

Me too .... Is it only me or anyone else feel very uncomfortable with the OP actually naming the butler in this way .... I feel sorry for him, the OP should have taken this to the Head Butler, not berated him on CC over some diet soda!!! Then the speculation starts ......... Judge and Jury on CC!!! :rolleyes:

We have diet coke in the UK, but we also have Coke Zero ... Not sure about continental Europe. ORV is right, it's all branding.

Glad to see Orange County Murphy put in a good word for this guy.

Then again, we don't know how the request was phrased ...

Mura

Exactly

Also after reading past posts of the OP I can only imagine it may not have been nicely asked ;)

Not sure a butler can get a window seat in the dining venues but he can always ask

I am swimming with the others ;)

Agree about the Coke, however if someone isn't happy with the Butler, it doesn't make a difference what the reason--you should ask for another Butler. It's your vacation and your going to be with that person for more than a few days. Get someone that's going to work with you and enjoy your trip.

Rick

So, first let me respond to those crucifying me over asking for sugar free coke. It was an example, a review and obviously just my opinion, not of a specific failure of the butler but an ongoing attitude. BTW, typo error which should have read "that I have NEVER experienced with a butler before." I am reporting as accurately as possible what happened. And, I do not care that much about the diet coke!!!!!!!!!! Can you not read the context of this post, can you not see that the issue was not singular, can you not give me credit for the balanced review so far??? No, all those posters who were flaming me for my opinions pre-cruise are just waiting to berate me now. Well, except for fairbourne, who has been honest as to his opinions. :eek:

But, seriously, anyone who would read this ongoing review would see that I am reporting wonderful things about the cruise - my suite, the ship, the weather and ambiance, the other cruisers. It has all been great. The housekeeping, the administration of the ship, all get great reviews. But, just let me report one negative and, swoosh, light the match and begin the witch trials! I am so PO'd, I feel like abandoning the whole pursuit, but then that's what the haters want - total ownership of a public forum. :mad:

So, please, everyone else, please accept my sincere review of this Oceania experience as it reads, without the interpretations of the dedicated "cheerleaders". It is meant to be fair and honest and I will do my best to portray all the wonderful experiences as well as those which fall flat. ;)

Ivo was our butler on Marina in April. We felt that he was extremely helpful, courteous, personable and professional.

BTW, Kekilia's pictures are of an Oceania suite.

This isn't the first time that someone has referred to an Oceania Suite as an OS. OS obviously cannot refer to both the Owner's Suite and an Oceania Suite, so we use OC to designate the latter. But it's easy enough not to realize there are different abbreviations, especially if you are new to Oceania.

Mura