New to Oceania - any advice?

mocrimlaw

The best advice I have is just to read various threads, especially those that might pertain to your planned itinerary. Be sure to check out the Roll Calls and see if your itinerary has one that is already set up. That way you'll be able to "meet" people on your cruise in advance and participate in independent tours if you wish.

Mura

Edited by Mura

Welcome to CC.

Here is a similar thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2224390&highlight=new+to+oceania

and another one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2184794&highlight=new+to+oceania

You can also do a search using the search button and type in "Oceania vs HAL" and Oceania vs Celebrity.

You'll get more info than you'll know what to do with :D

If you have more specific questions after reading all that, please ask.

The best advice I have is just to read various threads, especially those that might pertain to your planned itinerary. Be sure to check out the Roll Calls and see if your itinerary has one that is already set up. That way you'll be able to "meet" people on your cruise in advance and participate in independent tours if you wish.

Mura

very sound advice. I have learned a LOT reading:) This board is full of great info and its' members are very helpful :)

Excited to have just booked our first Oceania cruise - Sirena on 5/22 from Rome to Istanbul. I have been on Cunard, Celebrity & HAL in the past. Any advice for someone new to Oceania? Thanks!

It's more informal than the other lines. No tuxes, not ties, no jackets, no ball gowns. :)

You'll enjoy the trip and cruise, but when reading post toss out the really bad ones and even the really good ones...you'll get a better idea by reading the middle of the road......I find the ones that only bad mouth "O" just wouldn't have a good time no matter what cruise line they pick.....and the ones that only have good things to say are the cheerleaders of the group. But the ones that talk a little bad and a little good are telling the real story.

I've had some bad days and good days...mostly good, and have always had a good trip---besides the crew a lot of what happens is up to you.

And most important be sure to have a good TA that works for you and not just making their trips better for them self.

Rick

You'll enjoy the trip and cruise, but when reading post toss out the really bad ones and even the really good ones...you'll get a better idea by reading the middle of the road......I find the ones that only bad mouth "O" just wouldn't have a good time no matter what cruise line they pick.....and the ones that only have good things to say are the cheerleaders of the group. But the ones that talk a little bad and a little good are telling the real story.

I've had some bad days and good days...mostly good, and have always had a good trip---besides the crew a lot of what happens is up to you.

And most important be sure to have a good TA that works for you and not just making their trips better for them self.

Rick

Perfectly stated

Rick

+1. Well-stated.

If you want to have a good time, you will! Have a blast!

Donna

Just got off 71 days Insignia. I think one important thing, at least to me, is to investigate all the port info prior to cruise .Boards here, Trip Advisor, Frommers, Fodors, Lonely Planet, etc. They have lectures on board, but not the tourist oriented ones other lines do. No port maps from ship usually.

No port maps from ship usually.

Are they no longer giving out port info/maps the night before?

What about the tourists reps that usually come onboard when the ship docks?

Most people (well the smart ones) do the research ahead of time & get maps etc...before getting on the ship ;)

YMMD

Edited by LHT28

All I required was one of those little port/town maps the other guys give out Sometimes TIs, sometimes not. Another point applicable to longer, more complicated cruise bookings, is the need for a cruise agent really familiar with booking O.

Agree, but not so familiar with "O" that they think the work for "O" and not you. If you have a question or a need, the TA needs to beable to talk to "O", not tell I can't ask them that. A good TA works for you and knows "O" writes the check-but if not for you no check (or special benfits) would be given to the TA.

Rick

Are they no longer giving out port info/maps the night before?

What about the tourists reps that usually come onboard when the ship docks?

Most people (well the smart ones) do the research ahead of time & get maps etc...before getting on the ship ;)

YMMD

Just returned from 20-day Nautica cruise of British Isles, Faroe Islands, Iceland, and Greenland, which included a significant itinerary change owing to presence of too much ice in fjords in and around two planned ports of call in Greenland. Nevertheless we did make one call at an alternative port. At most ports of calls, there was a local tourism rep on board soon after docking or on the dock itself. Port information sheets with one exception (Torshavn, Faroe Islands, was not sent to the ship by the home office) were provided the night before, even for the new port of call in Greenland.

On some past O cruises, we've received maps, which frankly were of very poor quality and bore little resemblance to where we were. I believe O wisely stopped that practice in favor of arranging to have local reps available in as many ports as possible.

On some past O cruises, we've received maps, which frankly were of very poor quality and bore little resemblance to where we were. I believe O wisely stopped that practice in favor of arranging to have local reps available in as many ports as possible.

I agree

but I usually get all this info before I leave home to avoid the line up at the desk in the mornings ;)

I am amazed at the number of people that have no idea what there is to do at some ports

To each his own ;)

Excited to have just booked our first Oceania cruise - Sirena on 5/22 from Rome to Istanbul. I have been on Cunard, Celebrity & HAL in the past. Any advice for someone new to Oceania? Thanks!

Enjoy Oceania for what it is, do not to compare it to other lines (difficult I know)

People that rave about the food just set others up for disappointment

everyone has different tastes & expectations

If you have a problem address it at the time do not wait until you get home to complain

No cruise line is perfect ...even Oceania :eek:

Enjoy Oceania for what it is, do not to compare it to other lines (difficult I know)

People that rave about the food just set others up for disappointment

everyone has different tastes & expectations

If you have a problem address it at the time do not wait until you get home to complain

No cruise line is perfect ...even Oceania :eek:

Well said Lyn.

Ditto. We've rarely had food complaints but when everyone (or almost everyone) says it's the best food on the sea, then someone is disappointed. Or just doesn't like it.

For us it IS the best, but we haven't tried that many other lines since Oceania came into being. Yes, when we did, O was far superior. But that is to OUR taste. We don't presume to instruct others how to enjoy their food -- although when I say we like the GDR, maybe it comes across that way! :D

We also don't care for Red Ginger and completely avoided it on our last cruise, but it seems that at least a majority of people posting here thinks it's the bees knees.

Just know that you'll have high quality food on an Oceania cruise, and yes, the breads are to die for ... and I myself must have a daily smoothie ...

Mura

Oh boy, I am sunk now. Bread is my downfall - and milkshakes, and gelato! I appreciate all the info. I am completely OCD and will research everything to death before we go on any trip. To me it's part of the fun of the trip. My boyfriend does zero research - he knows I will do it so he let's me plan whatever I want and just tells me to point him where to go. We are both very happy cheerful outgoing people and always have a good time wherever we are (even at work as we are also law partners!). Looking forward to meeting many of you on future cruises. I am sure we will love Oceania!

After sailing all the lines in my "signature" below, I for one, do RAVE about the Oceania food. I'm a "foodie" and make such dishes as vichyssoise, beef Wellington, coquille St. Jacques, moussaka, all sorts of "from scratch" baked goods, etc. myself, so I know food. I've never been on the "luxury lines like Silver Sea, or Crystal or Regent, but from what I read, they are best at "service" and the food is just as good on Oceania as on these luxury lines.

All else is just great on Oceania: except

1) They tend to get 2nd shrift at ports compared to other bigger lines/ships... we tendered at 3 ports we were supposed to anchor at on a 10-day Caribbean cruise earlier this year. And missed Cozumel entirely because another bigger ship got our berth during rough seas and then we couldn't anchor out because of the seas. Don't know whether this applies to other areas, but certainly it did in the Caribbean. And I've read a lot of complaints about this on these boards;

2) Their tour prices are outrageous! Everyone complains about this one. But you can do very well with some DIY planning and touring. Probably better since the local tour groups tend to be less cost, less people, and the leaders will accommodate any changes/deviations that YOU want on your tour.

But aside from these two "negatives" I personally think this line is one of the best, if not "the best." (Unless you like the severe pampering you get on the luxury lines). I predict you will be a "raver" after your cruise on Oceania. Have fun!

After sailing all the lines in my "signature" below, I for one, do RAVE about the Oceania food. I'm a "foodie" and make such dishes as vichyssoise, beef Wellington, coquille St. Jacques, moussaka, all sorts of "from scratch" baked goods, etc. myself, so I know food. I've never been on the "luxury lines like Silver Sea, or Crystal or Regent, but from what I read, they are best at "service" and the food is just as good on Oceania as on these luxury lines.

All else is just great on Oceania: except

1) They tend to get 2nd shrift at ports compared to other bigger lines/ships... we tendered at 3 ports we were supposed to anchor at on a 10-day Caribbean cruise earlier this year. And missed Cozumel entirely because another bigger ship got our berth during rough seas and then we couldn't anchor out because of the seas. Don't know whether this applies to other areas, but certainly it did in the Caribbean. And I've read a lot of complaints about this on these boards;

2) Their tour prices are outrageous! Everyone complains about this one. But you can do very well with some DIY planning and touring. Probably better since the local tour groups tend to be less cost, less people, and the leaders will accommodate any changes/deviations that YOU want on your tour.

But aside from these two "negatives" I personally think this line is one of the best, if not "the best." (Unless you like the severe pampering you get on the luxury lines). I predict you will be a "raver" after your cruise on Oceania. Have fun!

We love good food and we travel to NYC several times a year. NYC restaurants are the best iin the world as patrons have very high expectations. Oceania food compares favorably, especially Toscano. We've had better meals in Toscano than at the Batali restaurants and we've been going to Babbo for years. We've also been to his new restaurant on Tenth Avenue, Del Posto, and I kept thinking about Toscano.

Edited by sammiedawg

Just got off 71 days Insignia. I think one important thing, at least to me, is to investigate all the port info prior to cruise .Boards here, Trip Advisor, Frommers, Fodors, Lonely Planet, etc. They have lectures on board, but not the tourist oriented ones other lines do. No port maps from ship usually.

I agree with Zoncom's advice. On our June Baltics cruise, I used the City Maps 2Go App on my iPhone which can be used off-line and doesn't eat up data. Before you leave home, download all your port maps into your phone. We still also used paper maps in each port, but this app is great for quickly figuring out where you are and it saved us time in almost every port. It's also useful for finding what's right around you in terms of coffee, attractions, restaurants and the all-important gelato.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/city-maps-2go-pro-offline/id327783342?mt=8