The Definitive Word on Outlets for C-Paps

Pet Nit Noy

I'm standing in my stateroom on Nautica recalling a long thread about plugs conveniently located for essential medical equipment. The thread contained conflicting information so here's the answer, at least for staterooms on R ships.

The issue isn't one of access. You will not need an extension cord. You will not need to crawl on your knees to locate the plug. The issue is one of plug ccompatibility. Above each nightstand in the staterooms, you'll see a row of light switches -- a four - gang switch plate to be precise. Three of the slots are switches. The final slot -- the slot farthest from the bed -- is an electrical outlet. But getting back to the point of compatability, the plug is not the US type; it is a European two round rod "Type C" outlet. You must bring a plug adapter.

I particularly like Ceptics brand adapter because they're the only company I know that makes a triple cube adapter. Two of the outlets are suitable for grounded devices and one outlet is for ungrounded equipment. Ceptics makes this same triple adapter in virtually all plug configurations for travel all over the world.

Right now, my husband has his C-Pap plugged in along with his charger for his MP3 player.

Again, this information is accurate in a Nautica stateroom on deck six so I assume it applies to all staterooms on the sibling R ships on decks seven through three.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Pet Nit Noy - Thank you so much for that info! We'll be sailing on the Nautica, so it's great to have first-hand input.

This will be my first trip since I started using a CPAP. Was told that the CPAP machine does not count as a piece of luggage when flying, but do you know if it can be a checked piece for no charge?

Pet Nit Noy - Thank you so much for that info! We'll be sailing on the Nautica, so it's great to have first-hand input.

This will be my first trip since I started using a CPAP. Was told that the CPAP machine does not count as a piece of luggage when flying, but do you know if it can be a checked piece for no charge?

As sitraveler stated, you are not supposed to check your CPAP. You are correct it does not count as a carry-on piece. It would count as a piece of checked luggage.

For further info, you are required to take the CPAP out of its' case when going thru security just like you do for a laptop, at least in the US.

Your C- Pap is a delicate piece of medical equipment. I recommend you re-think your hope to check it as a piece of luggage. The only exception might be of your device came with a hard - sided case with a custom fitted closed cell foam interior. My husband's device came in nothing more than a canvas cover. Other travelers seem to have very similar cases. I've simply never seen the kind of luggage handler - proof case I just described.

For a three week trip, we travel with 24" four wheel spinner per person, a small tote per person that can sit on top of our suitcases and my husband's C-Pap.

Can you confirm that there is another outlet (plug) near the desk? I realize your post was about medical equipment near the bed, but it would be useful since you are onboard.

Thanks!

No problem. There are four more plugs on the wall just above the desk. Two are US style plugs and two are the round prong C-type plge I've already described. We have adapters in those round prong outlets which I use . (Remember the R ships still have those ridiculous ineffective wall mounted hair dryers installed. Happily each stateroom is also out fitted with normal effective plug in hair dryers. )

As sitraveler stated, you are not supposed to check your CPAP. You are correct it does not count as a carry-on piece. It would count as a piece of checked luggage.

For further info, you are required to take the CPAP out of its' case when going thru security just like you do for a laptop, at least in the US.

Over time you will be asked to do every possible variation with your C-Pap. Sometimes different TSA officials will ask you to do different things at the same airport. There's almost certainly variation from airport. Just grin and bear it.

Also for shorter trips, my husband travels with bottles filled with distilled water. Just explain you're traveling with medical liquid. You'll be pulled aside to have the liquid tested. This is a two or three minute delay at most and saves time and expense finding distilled water at your destination.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

My DH did it once...and we never saw it again!! You can request distilled water on board (do that with your TA or O before you board) and I would suggest you always bring an extension cord and multiple adapters as you never know what you will find when you board a ship or enter a hotel room all over the world!! :) OH...the joys of finding those plugs, figuring out if you have the right plug etc!!! :D And will the "cord" "Stretch"!!?????

I hope you have a "newer" model of C Pap...as they make so much less noise...and if you have the water added it really helps to make it "softer" for those of us who sleep beside the C Pap user!! :cool: Thank goodness that the machines are so much better these days...after 17 years of sleeping next to one!! :eek::p...oh...and the guy who goes with it as well!! LuAnn

... I would suggest you always bring an extension cord and multiple adapters as you never know what you will find when you board a ship or enter a hotel room all over the world!! :) OH...the joys of finding those plugs, figuring out if you have the right plug etc!!! :D And will the "cord" "Stretch"!!?????

Actually the whole point of this thread was to remove the uncertainty of the plug situation in a stateroom on board a "R" class ship. I'm not claiming to know the situation in a suite on the "R" ships or in any type of accommodation aboard the "O" class ships, but you can be confident in what I have written.

And the plug issue can easily be researched on line. There are plenty of Web sites, most of them selling adapters, that will clarify the type of plug needed.

There are travel questions that are resistant to research. This isn't one of them . If you truly think you'll enter a ship or hotel and "never know what you will find" we'll agree to disagree.

Actually the whole point of this thread was to remove the uncertainty of the plug situation in a stateroom on board a "R" class ship. I'm not claiming to know the situation in a suite on the "R" ships or in any type of accommodation aboard the "O" class ships, but you can be confident in what I have written.

And the plug issue can easily be researched on line. There are plenty of Web sites, most of them selling adapters, that will clarify the type of plug needed.

There are travel questions that are resistant to research. This isn't one of them . If you truly think you'll enter a ship or hotel and "never know what you will find" we'll agree to disagree.

I was trying to be helpful...not start a disagreement??? What is up with this??? LuAnn

Can you confirm that there is another outlet (plug) near the desk? I realize your post was about medical equipment near the bed, but it would be useful since you are onboard.

Thanks!

Here is a pic of the desk outlets. There is a night light plugged into one of them, that can be removed.

china_ship_IMG_4298.jpg

I find in general it's always a good idea to travel with a 6 foot indoor grounded extension cord, an international outlet adapter, and a small power strip. Doesn't really take up much room and can be a huge lifesaver when overseas, especially if you are going to be staying pre or post-cruise!!!

Here's the stuff we use (and always take) and it works great (especially the adapter):

Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QR2ALHM

Extension Cord: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPLNHS

Power Strip: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MH479D8

Total cost for all of this is about $50 US. And glad to hear you decided not to check the C-Pap. It doesn't count as a carryon so just bring it with you on board. DH uses one and it's amazing how many you see being carried on these days (you don't notice them until you have to account for one) :)

EDIT: Wanted to point out this is an outlet adapter, NOT a power converter! Pretty much every computers, CPAPs, cell phones, etc. can accept 220v OR 110v but things with motors like razors and some hairdryers don't. You'll blow the item out and get that yucky smell of burned electronics wisping from the device if you don't convert the voltage. We made that mistake once and plugged in some beard clippers (very nice ones mind you) and they were buzzing VERY fast for about 15 seconds and then *POOF* ... dead.

Edited by corpkid

I find in general it's always a good idea to travel with a 6 foot indoor grounded extension cord, an international outlet adapter, and a small power strip. Doesn't really take up much room and can be a huge lifesaver when overseas, especially if you are going to be staying pre or post-cruise!!!

Here's the stuff we use (and always take) and it works great (especially the adapter):

Adapter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QR2ALHM

Extension Cord: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPLNHS

Power Strip: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MH479D8

Total cost for all of this is about $50 US. And glad to hear you decided not to check the C-Pap. It doesn't count as a carryon so just bring it with you on board. DH uses one and it's amazing how many you see being carried on these days (you don't notice them until you have to account for one) :)

EDIT: Wanted to point out this is an outlet adapter, NOT a power converter! Pretty much every computers, CPAPs, cell phones, etc. can accept 220v OR 110v but things with motors like razors and some hairdryers don't. You'll blow the item out and get that yucky smell of burned electronics wisping from the device if you don't convert the voltage. We made that mistake once and plugged in some beard clippers (very nice ones mind you) and they were buzzing VERY fast for about 15 seconds and then *POOF* ... dead.

While corpkid has some great suggestions, I've got some additional suggestions which will make your life better and save some money. First of all don't believe the 6 foot cord that is recommended is long enough and does not need tso be anything more than a standard extension cord with extra ports to plug into and it really needs to be longer than 6 feet.

I have been using a C-Pap for about 10 years and always carry an 18 foot extension cord which is easily less than $10 from your local Ace, Home Depot, or Lowes, etc. Yes, have had to use the entire length several times and especially on cruises where the cord had to stretch to the other side of the room. Of course had to roll it up every morning. In today's electronics, almost every item is two prong with one bigger than the other which the 2 prong extension cord work just fine. About the only three prong item I have seen in years is your laptop or power brick for other computer products. You shouldn't need the three prong plug for that as you will most probably use it at the desk near an outlet and not need an extension cord for that.

And, that multi country adapter at $40 is grossly overpriced. I recently picked up the same thing for less than $10 by simply doing a google search. They're all made in China and probably by the same company but, are certainly available for 1/2 or less of the $40 price. They are wonderful and recommend them but, not the current price from the link.

The longer extension cord has been a great help many times where 6 or even 12 feet just wouldn't work. Have also needed in motels and hotels so great to have. Also recommend more than one adapter as well as a power voltage converter for those few items that will only work on one voltage.

I have 3 different models of universal adapters (be careful - not ALL adapters are universal - some are only for certain regions - don't waste your money on those!). This model though is head and shoulders the best of the 3 in that it is stable & plugs in well (and fits - some are such crap they barely fit into various outlets) and it doesn't fall out easy. It's also very "high quality" - this is something you buy once and use over and over and over again - That's why I recommend this model, which again I was only using Amazon as a reference so you may find it cheaper... We paid $35 for ours four years ago and it's the ONLY one I take anymore - the other 2 sit in a drawer unused and only keep them in case this one breaks for some reason. You may find it cheaper elsewhere.

We pack super light (packing cubes into a 27" lightweight spinner suitcase, 2 backpacks, and the CPAP) so while those other items are great to have, we just have "left them at home" as we have found ways around it... That's a different story but we are train buffs so we tend to hop around on trains with our stuff before and after our cruise and lugging too much is a real problem for that mentality. A trade off I guess but it works for the way we travel... but yes, if you are a big packer go for the longer cord, multiple adapters, etc. Rallydave is 100% right it might save you some headaches. But I disagree that adapter is overpriced based on my experience.

Edited by corpkid

" C-Pap. It doesn't count as a carryon so just bring it with you on board. DH uses one and it's amazing how many you see being carried on these days (you don't notice them until you have to account for one) "

In London, prior to our cruise, the bellman bringing our luggage to our room volunteered that C- PAPs are the most common item people bring beyond luggage, with fans second. ( Those are generally being used as a white noise device.)

I have been using a C-Pap for about 10 years and always carry an 18 foot extension cord which is easily less than $10 from your local Ace, Home Depot, or Lowes, etc. Yes, have had to use the entire length several times and especially on cruises where the cord had to stretch to the other side of the room.

Just to keep from confusing the topic, can you clarify whether you've needed the extension cords on any Oceania ships and, if so, what level accommodation you were in?

I'm hoping some PH and higher level suite cruisers will weigh in with plug location information on Nautica etc. Ditto for cruisers on the two O ships.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Just to keep from confusing the topic, can you clarify whether you've needed the extension cords on any Oceania ships and, if so, what level accommodation you were in?

I'm hoping some PH and higher level suite cruisers will weigh in with plug location information on Nautica etc. Ditto for cruisers on the two O ships.

Use the converter and you are all set. There is a 220 European style outlet by each side of the bed.

Cannot say one way or the other regarding oceania ships. The extension cord is an easy fit in my cpap case and carry it with me always just in case so don't have specific cases where I have used the cord or not but, great to have it in case it is needed and doesn't take up any additional space.

Cannot say one way or the other regarding oceania ships. The extension cord is an easy fit in my cpap case and carry it with me always just in case so don't have specific cases where I have used the cord or not but, great to have it in case it is needed and doesn't take up any additional space.

Just trying to give info re traveling with a CPap...either on or off a ship...either an O ship of any type...and/or a hotel room...just giving info re what is like to do this when we travel, right???? LuAnn

Just trying to give info re traveling with a CPap...either on or off a ship...either an O ship of any type...and/or a hotel room...just giving info re what is like to do this when we travel, right???? LuAnn

Correct LuAnn.

While corpkid has some great suggestions, I've got some additional suggestions which will make your life better and save some money. First of all don't believe the 6 foot cord that is recommended is long enough and does not need tso be anything more than a standard extension cord with extra ports to plug into and it really needs to be longer than 6 feet.

I have been using a C-Pap for about 10 years and always carry an 18 foot extension cord which is easily less than $10 from your local Ace, Home Depot, or Lowes, etc. Yes, have had to use the entire length several times and especially on cruises where the cord had to stretch to the other side of the room. Of course had to roll it up every morning. In today's electronics, almost every item is two prong with one bigger than the other which the 2 prong extension cord work just fine. About the only three prong item I have seen in years is your laptop or power brick for other computer products. You shouldn't need the three prong plug for that as you will most probably use it at the desk near an outlet and not need an extension cord for that.

The longer extension cord has been a great help many times where 6 or even 12 feet just wouldn't work. Have also needed in motels and hotels so great to have. Also recommend more than one adapter as well as a power voltage converter for those few items that will only work on one voltage.

First for us: Being charged a deposit for the use of an extension cord at the Best Westerrn City Hotel in Copenhagen.

We do not travel with an extension cord, vastly preferring to fill the area surrounding the C-PAP with filled Nalgene bottles of distilled water. ( After paying over 10 GBP to have the bellman get a bottle of distilled water on a visit to London some time ago, we now arrive for pre cruise hotel stays with enough distilled water to get us onto the ship.) But we've never before been asked to return the extension cord to the desk at check out time or would have forfeited a deposit for failing to do so.

In most other respects this hotel was a great reasonably priced hotel in a very expensive city. Perhaps the ultra, ultra expensive hotels are air conditioned , but even the merely expensive hotels are not. The street on which the Best Western City is located is super quiet and we were able to leave our windows open for a comfortable night's sleep for both temperature and low noise level.

Incidentally, I specifically mentioned Nalgene bottles because this material gets a really tight seal when screwing on the lid and will not leak. This product tends to ve available through outdoor type stores like LL Bean, REI, and Eastern Mountain Sports in addition to travel specialty catalogs.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy