Bridge on O

Ballwin Babe

Booked our first Oceania cruise for May and really looking forward to it. For those experienced O cruisers, are there typically organized bridge games on each sailing? If so, is it for all levels and have you ever cruised when O has a bridge instructor on board?

It seems to be a bit of a hit or a miss. I haven't played Bridge in about 100 years so I haven't paid attention to when Bridge (whether just players or with teachers) has been offered on our cruises, but I know that sometimes yes, sometimes no. You may have better luck in arranging games with fellow passengers than you will with having an instructor on board.

Closer to departure date it may be made clear if an instructor will be available.

But there is definitely a card room where people can gather. I would suggest asking on your roll call if there are other players ... at least then you can get together on your own if an instructor is not available.

Good luck!

Mura

I do not play bridge but there are always lots of people that do

Usually noted in the daily CURRENTS a time & place

There are some cruises that have bridge program

check the list here

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/enrichment/bridge-program/

looks like you are in luck & have an instructor onboard ;)

Edited by LHT28

1. On cruises that have few if any sea days, there is unlikely to be a cruise instructor on board

2. On a cruise with an instructor on board, that instructor will be a highly skilled individual; there will be ACBL registered games; the instructor usually has an assistant with him/her, such as a spouse or friend. The longer the cruise, the more likely it is that an instructor will be on board.

3. The instruction ALWAYS is given in the Polo Restaurant

4. There are 2 classes of instruction, each for an hour, on those days where instruction is given: at 10 AM for beginners and then at 11 AM for intermediate/advanced players

5. There is an organized duplicate bridge game (if you do not have a partner, the instructor will match you up) on those days where there are lessons. These games are also held in Polo, beginning at 2 PM and ending just in time to go to Trivia which is usually held at 4 to 4:30 PM. If you are an Afternoon Tea person, it is nearly impossible to play duplicate, gorge on pastries, and get to Trivia.

6. On those days when there is no instruction (think port days) open bridge is held, usually at 3 PM, in Polo. Those who are not off touring should be able to cobble a game together.

7. If there is a day where there is a late port arrival or early departure, it could be that there will be either open play, or instruction or duplicate-depending on the instructor's schedule.

On my Marina cruise in May, there was a husband and wife team, ACBL Bridge Directors, on board. They gave lessons before each session, and also documented the points for those belonging to the ACBL.

They were telling me that they usually get offered a job when a ship has alot of sea days, and a cabin available. They never know when they are going to be called to be Directors...apparently they use an agency who does the servicing for the ships in need of their experience. It was an enlightning discussion.