Are belly button piercings fun and stylish for swimwear or not?

RQINFL

I think they're cute...depending on what they look like...and you do have to have a PERFECT tummy....I've seen bbrings on older folks and it simply looks sad...like they're trying too hard...

And keep it small....I've seen some "danglers" that rival gypsy earrings....not a wonderful look, either!

I'm going to assume you have a flat stomach so here are my 2 cents...

Even though piercings fall in and out of fashion I think it is always a personal choice depending on your own signature style.

I tend to think of piercings or tattoos as more permanent accessories for example, a fedora, men's watches on women - not everyone can pull off wearing certain clothing or accessories.

do YOU feel it will make you feel good? Does it match or enhance the style you are trying to project?

Because ultimately, if you have the self confidence, it kinda doesn't matter if it's trendy or not.

My son is a tattoo artist and also does piercings. He does a lot of belly button piercings so they are still popular. Would I get one? NO. I'm too old, belly is not flat, and I don't wear bikini's or shirts that would show off the piercings. My 30 year old dd has had one for years. She has flat belly, wears shorter shirts sometimes, but mostly did it just because she wanted to not really to show it off to people. Like others have said, go with what makes you comfortable, not with how you think others will think about it. And there is a lot of cute jewelry you can wear. My dd only buys the small ones, (there are a lot of big, guady ones, too). My favorite that she wears is the small navy emblem she bought because of dh being retired from Navy. :D Have a good one, Sue

I'm going to assume you have a flat stomach so here are my 2 cents...

Even though piercings fall in and out of fashion I think it is always a personal choice depending on your own signature style.

I tend to think of piercings or tattoos as more permanent accessories for example, a fedora, men's watches on women - not everyone can pull off wearing certain clothing or accessories.

do YOU feel it will make you feel good? Does it match or enhance the style you are trying to project?

Because ultimately, if you have the self confidence, it kinda doesn't matter if it's trendy or not.

I have had my belly button pierced for almost 15 years. It's been with me skinny and fat.... I rocked it either way. Or, at least that's what I told myself. ;) If you feel good about your piercing, tatto, etc. Don't worry about others so much. I had a 50+ lady walk up to me the other day and ask me where I got my nose stud. She had just had her's pierced and needed a replacement. She began with, "I know you're thinking why would a woman my age....BLAH BLAH." I told her that it looked beautiful and where to find her replacement. If you got it, flaunt it, own it! That's my motto.

Out of all the piercings you can opt to have - getting your belly button done takes no less than 5 months to heal... and up to 12! It has to do with the type of tissue that is being pierced. Because of this - it takes a lot of extra care and precautions to prevent an infection. IOW - you would not want sea water or dirty lake water to get into it! Any garment you have that crosses over your belly button will irritate it .. even after it heals if it is pulling on the jewelry... so be for-warned.

I have mine pierced... while my tummy is not perfectly flat, but I am thinner than most and I like it. Had it done when I was about 42...or 43 and called it my mid-life-crisis. I do not see it as being something as permanent as a tattoo. I can always take the ring out and trust me .. even though I have had it several years, this piercing would grow back. Even if it did not... it looks like a freckle....which is WAY WAY DIFFERENT than what a 20+ year old tattoo looks like (I used to be a scrub nurse..and have seen things that burned holes in my retina's!) :eek:

edited to add... if you do get it done - make SURE everything is completely sterile. This (and tattoos) is one of the most common ways Hep. C is transferred!

I have had my belly button pierced for almost 15 years. It's been with me skinny and fat.... I rocked it either way. Or, at least that's what I told myself. ;) If you feel good about your piercing, tatto, etc. Don't worry about others so much. I had a 50+ lady walk up to me the other day and ask me where I got my nose stud. She had just had her's pierced and needed a replacement. She began with, "I know you're thinking why would a woman my age....BLAH BLAH." I told her that it looked beautiful and where to find her replacement. If you got it, flaunt it, own it! That's my motto.

Oh, I noticed you quoted my post in your reply - in hope you didn't misinterpret me - I said I assumed her belly was flat because previous posters pointed out that it should be, so I wanted to just assume it was because although there are many men and women with pierced belly buttons who do not have flat bellies, I have never seen anyone w/o a flat belly sporting one.

I mentioned pulling off that style because if you don't have the confidence it really wouldn't matter how rock solid your abs are.

I personally have a nose piercing and as odd as it may sound, I feel more confident and feel more like me with it than without it even though it is not very conventional in my super conservative career.

i try to not look. too me the eyebrow and lip piercing is worse than the bellybutton. and speedo's on the guys :eek:. sometimes looking the other way is the best course of action. it is their bodies but if you dont like the look turn your head.

• 3 weeks later...
Wondering if belly button piercings are something fun and fashionable with a bikini, or an old trend? Thanks~

If you like it, get it. Honestly, why worry about what others think! It's your body! I'm 46 and have a bb ring and a tattoo on my stomach to celebrate my beating breast cancer. Too many people worry about what others are thinking! Do what makes you happy, life is too short to worry about other people's opinions!

I am 45 and have had a bbring for about 10 years. I took it out a few years ago, but after a couple of weeks I really missed it, so I put it back in. I feel like it's me and my DH likes it - no one else matters to me.

If you have it already and like it, then keep it. I don't think age matters. If you don't have one and want it, go for it, keeping in mind the previous posters comments about making sure it is sterile and realizing that it does take quite a while to heal and to stop hurting. I never notice mine at all anymore, even if my waistband is right on top of it.

Have fun! Life is short!

Archived