Should I expect a "free beverage package" promo anytime soon?

bobetpine

Hi all,

We are looking to cruise on Jan 28th on the Star Legend. We love the ports of call and the sailing date is quite firm since we’d like to be onboard for our 20th anniversary (Feb 3). I’ve been checking the price go up and down in the past months. I missed it when it was 1499$ (I think) because I was waiting for Labour Day weekend special. Last year, there was a beverage package offer advertised at this time of year.

Would you have any idea when that special could come back ? The cruise is actually 1899$ so I would have been better off paying 1499$ and paying the beverage package myself. But then, 5 years ago or so, I was able to get a cabin for 1299$ including beverage package on Wind Spirit. I was hoping to get lucky again..

I’ve looked at other companies like Seabourn and the like but prices are way more expensive.

Any thought or tip you could share ?

Thanks

Pascale

I wish, but I would not expect it on a Cribbean 7 night cruise as it's worth approx $900 per cabin. We booked the Legend for a March cruise with a $300 ship credit at 1799. Now there is no ship credit and price went up. I'm sure it will come down again but sometimes you just need to book what you want and then have your agent go to bat for you if there is a subsequent price decrease.

Windstar will honor any price decreases up until one week before sailing. I believe the policy went into effect mid-summer for any cruise booked after the date, which I don't have. So book away, knowing you can always get a better deal if offered.

Windstar will honor any price decreases up until one week before sailing. I believe the policy went into effect mid-summer for any cruise booked after the date, which I don't have. So book away, knowing you can always get a better deal if offered.

Do additional inclusions count as a price decrease?

Before the new policy, when they would only honor price changes before final payment, I was able to add two nights at the front of a cruise (at what I thought was a fairly inflated price for the hotel) and still come out ahead with a substantial decrease in cruise fare. I'm not sure if that would be on the same level as an onboard exclusion.

My TA got me more OBC on a recent cruise. Windstar's new price adjustment policy is great. I have never seen a beverage package included. Beverage prices are not high. You can bring liquor/wine on board. No corkage fee. Windstar tries to please. Of all the cruises that I have taken (30+), Windstar is still the best.

My TA got me more OBC on a recent cruise. Windstar's new price adjustment policy is great. I have never seen a beverage package included. Beverage prices are not high. You can bring liquor/wine on board. No corkage fee. Windstar tries to please. Of all the cruises that I have taken (30+), Windstar is still the best.

I thought they changed the BYOB alcohol policy to wine only, and only two per cabin for a weeklong cruise, three for a longer sailing.

I also think there is a corkage fee unless you consume the wine in your cabin.

Any recent sailors have the scoop?

You can bring liquor/wine on board. No corkage fee. Windstar tries to please. Of all the cruises that I have taken (30+), Windstar is still the best.

Not true. All you are allowed to bring on is two bottles of wine/champagne per adult. No other alcohol. If you bring these bottles into the dining room, you are supposed to be charged a corkage fee.

Last year there were some packages that included drink, wifi, and/or excursions but the prices were increased so it's a wash. Just book where you want to go and if the price comes down it's honored.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

True, Windstar have, last June, issued a new policy re fare-reductions since bookings were made.

It may be worth reading it carefully as it says that there are different options re reimbursement: onboard credit, an upgrade, fare reduction or, future cruise credit BUT, it says it is Windstar who will decide.

It's in the Terms and Conditions on the Windstar website.

It also states that they reserve the right to modify or terminate this policy.

J.

Yes, they do reserve the right. 2 couples using 2 different travel agents. One got on board credit and the other an upgrade to a room that they did not want. Windstar would not change their benefit.

I am not complaining but everyone needs to be aware.

So, what happened to, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."?

This is one area where I feel one is penalised for early booking (apart from being able to choose exactly which cabin one wants and book transport).

A $3,999pp start-price can end up as $2,700pp . . . . . 'hardly seems fair.

Most folk would opt to pay the lower price rather than ob credit, a next-cruise voucher or upgrade . . . . . unless (and very unlikely!) it was to the Owner's Suite!

I think we'd all be scrambling to book ASAP if they STARTED with the lowest price . . . . . . which is what it's like when booking flights . . . . . . and the prices increased.

One may not then be so disgruntled with the 'last minute offers' if they were a month away from the sail-date as the flip side would be trying to get to the embarkation point!

Do ANY of the cruise lines work this way?

Agree with Rugrats. I actually had a cruise on hold a couple weeks ago, but I didn't like the fine print. If they are going to give "something" instead of actually reducing the price, they need to give a choice of a few things. Maybe different buckets depending on the savings. I don't want a discount in a later cruise, unless it doesn't have strings attached such as length of cruise and gives me at least five years to use it.

I thought they changed the BYOB alcohol policy to wine only, and only two per cabin for a weeklong cruise, three for a longer sailing.

I also think there is a corkage fee unless you consume the wine in your cabin.

Any recent sailors have the scoop?

Not a recent sailor. But, we requested the wine list be emailed to us. It says, wine policies "you bought a bottle of wine ashore. bring it in and enjoy.. a $17.50 corkage fee applies. We only asked about wine so I don't have any information on cocktails.

• 1 month later...

Your wish has been granted if you have not booked yet :)

Enjoy the lowest fares of the season plus your choice of free amenity

Take advantage of our Star Perks Event, November 15 - December 9, and see the world aboard a boutique small ship. For a limited time, enjoy reduced fares and one FREE perk per cabin on voyages in the Caribbean, Costa Rica and Europe, as well as our new collection of Asia & Arabia voyages sailing in the winter of 2017 - 2018. Choose your FREE perk from a list of four great amenities including up to 2 free hotel nights, premium beverage package, unlimited WI-FI or up to $1,000 shipboard credit.