Windstar returns to Asia

SMNYCruise

According to Windstar, without the perk the pricing is less (about $700 on the cruise we are looking at). So the $1,000 ship board credit would actually only be $300 based on the higher fare paid up front. Certainly looks like the beverage package is the way to go as far as value.

I have been informed by my TA today that the Star Perk of $1000 is only $200 per cabin for this cruise ??

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

We are contemplating booking this cruise: Singapore to Hong Kong. Here is the verbiage used on their website:

"Offer includes the choice between the following amenities (Windstar’s Premium Beverage Package, OR up to 2 complimentary hotel nights at a Windstar selected hotel property, OR up to $1000 shipboard credit per stateroom or suite , OR complimentary Internet for 2 devices). Cruises up to 10 days receive ONE free hotel night OR $200 shipboard credit per guest (max $400 per stateroom or suite). Cruises of 11 days or more receive TWO complimentary hotel nights OR $500 shipboard credit per guest (max $1,000 per stateroom or suite). The complimentary hotel offer is available per booked stateroom or suite, is for a Windstar selected hotel or similar property selected by Windstar, is applicable on select cruises, is based on availability at time of booking ............................."

I suspect this is the first time they are offering this itinerary, but I could be incorrect. My issue is the location of the hotels they will offer. My travel agent does not yet know because the information is not yet available.

I would feel more comfortable knowing that the hotel choices offered are centrally located. We visited Singapore a few years ago and loved it. So much more remaining to see/enjoy. We used public transportation/taxis as needed and stayed in a centrally located hotel.

Does anyone on this forum have any past experience with this type of thing with Windstar company?

Unfortunately I would stay away from Windstar hotels unless there are no other good choices. We have done them twice and were terribly disappointed. I would take the OBC. That way you can use for drinks, laundry, internet, ship tours if you're not doing your own or whatever you buy onboard. Just gives much more flexibility. We can't drink enough to have beverage package make any sense. If you are big drinkers you may consider. I like the credits best. Great itinerary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sb44: Thanks for the quick reply. How long ago/the year/did you use their linked to your package hotel? Were they in remote locations and/or not 5 star? My travel agent informed me the hotels would be 5 star. Our priority is a centrally located hotel that is at least 4 stars.

We do not drink enough to use the credit for something like that.

With all of that info, any additional thoughts?

Much thanks.

An addition: We just returned from a 2 week journey to paradise, aka the Paul Gauguin's 2 week journey throughout French Polynesia. The Marquesa chain is must see and PG visits there only 3 times each year. Jean Michel Cousteau, son of Jacque Cousteau, was one of 3 guest lecturers. He is an international treasure. Have photos of us hugging in the blue water of PG's private island (aka "motu"). Also, there was an historian and Paul Gauguin's biographer/ researcher-names not handy right now. The Paul Gaugain is elegant, the food and service excellent. The ship holds 320. Our ship had only 270 that week. Also, being aboard is a unique experience because some of the professional staff/all the entertainers/greeters are of pure French/Polynesian descent. A unique heritage. Look forward to repeating it in a few years by adding some days in Bora Bora or other island where we can choose an over water accommodation (bedroom/living room/bathroom) with a glass floor beneath a glass cocktail table--fishies, fishies and more..............Retirement is wonderful..............

Edited by captainsail

We used their hotel in Barcelona last year and just used the one in Aruba. We were told 4 star. They were more like 3. Also hotel in Aruba billed our Visa because of lack of communication with WS. The room with 2 breakfasts was $120 less through the hotel. The WS package included transportation to the ship which was 45 minutes late. In actuality it was a $10 cab ride. You can book hotel on your own if you are a good researcher. I am a big fan of Windstar and not a complainer. We've cruised around 10 times, love the ships, the crew and the sea. Our only major complaint has been the 2 hotels so we will continue to book our own going forward. As for Internet you might check with your carrier about service when you are in port. The WS packages are expensive, slow, etc. We now buy our $10 per day international service from our carrier, Verizon, and actually come out ahead. Reason being that you will also use your phone in port so you'll be paying WS and your carrier. I have not been to the part of the world where you are going yet so don't know the options.

Wow. Fabulous trip and one that I've looked at. Thanks for the description. This June we are doing hotel barge on River Shannon (10 guests), then a week in SW Ireland, then the Surf from Dublin around Scotland. Husband's bucket list. His turn!

I appreciate your information and inside knowledge. I am a good researcher, plan every item of our adventures. I won't book this adventure until I know the hotels and research them. We know Singapore; so that helps.

I won't book this until I know the hotels. Chris Elliot is a travel ombudsman whose column appears every Sunday on page 3 or 4 of major news papers. Any travel problems you need to resolve, or to just to read his advice to others can be viewed at his website at http://elliott.org/

A pleasure to "chat" with you. If you have anything else to share, I will appreciate it. Gail

Edited by captainsail
typo error

We've tried their hotels twice and will not do so again. They aren't five star, I agree closer to three. We love Windstar cruising but the hotels are not a good value for us.

In my opinion, the on-board credit is the best bet unless you are really heavy drinkers.

Edited by Pudgesmom

Hi all,

We are contemplating booking this cruise: Singapore to Hong Kong. Here is the verbiage used on their website:

"Offer includes the choice between the following amenities (Windstar’s Premium Beverage Package, OR up to 2 complimentary hotel nights at a Windstar selected hotel property, OR up to $1000 shipboard credit per stateroom or suite , OR complimentary Internet for 2 devices). Cruises up to 10 days receive ONE free hotel night OR $200 shipboard credit per guest (max $400 per stateroom or suite). Cruises of 11 days or more receive TWO complimentary hotel nights OR $500 shipboard credit per guest (max $1,000 per stateroom or suite). The complimentary hotel offer is available per booked stateroom or suite, is for a Windstar selected hotel or similar property selected by Windstar, is applicable on select cruises, is based on availability at time of booking ............................."

I suspect this is the first time they are offering this itinerary, but I could be incorrect. My issue is the location of the hotels they will offer. My travel agent does not yet know because the information is not yet available.

I would feel more comfortable knowing that the hotel choices offered are centrally located. We visited Singapore a few years ago and loved it. So much more remaining to see/enjoy. We used public transportation/taxis as needed and stayed in a centrally located hotel.

Does anyone on this forum have any past experience with this type of thing with Windstar company?

It may happen but I've never seen a WS hotel that I couldn't book myself for less money, and for me with hotel status I get ukgrades, club access, etc. as well. The only time used it was in San Jose CR and I was glad since that was with the transfer and the port was far and less than easy.

Singapore isn't actually very large and we stayed the Fullerton on a nice deal the hotel was offering and took a cab to the port for not much money in probably less than 20 minutes. The subway also has a stop right there which I wound have done with less luggage.

An addition: We just returned from a 2 week journey to paradise, aka the Paul Gauguin's 2 week journey throughout French Polynesia. The Marquesa chain is must see and PG visits there only 3 times each year. Jean Michel Cousteau, son of Jacque Cousteau, was one of 3 guest lecturers. He is an international treasure. Have photos of us hugging in the blue water of PG's private island (aka "motu"). Also, there was an historian and Paul Gauguin's biographer/ researcher-names not handy right now. The Paul Gaugain is elegant, the food and service excellent. The ship holds 320. Our ship had only 270 that week. Also, being aboard is a unique experience because some of the professional staff/all the entertainers/greeters are of pure French/Polynesian descent. A unique heritage. Look forward to repeating it in a few years by adding some days in Bora Bora or other island where we can choose an over water accommodation (bedroom/living room/bathroom) with a glass floor beneath a glass cocktail table--fishies, fishies and more..............Retirement is wonderful..............

If you loved the PG that much you'll be completely blown away by Windstar. Everything is better on Windstar, food, service, ship layout. PG felt mass market to us, while Windstar felt like a private yacht. We were less than impressed by our time on the PG in terms of food and service. We never felt like we were in each other's way on the Surf, and felt like we were constantly tripping over each other in the PG, even though the PG cabin was slightly larger. Go figure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To another question upthread. This is not the first WS foray into Asia, we were on Singapore to Dubai. These routes were inherited with the purchase of the triplets from Seaborne. We were on the Pride. Loads were very low and marketing seemed poor. I'm very hopeful they make this work this time as Asia is amazingly wonderful.

ducklite: in response to your "PG felt mass market to us, while Windstar felt like a private yacht. We were less than impressed by our time on the PG in terms of food and service. We never felt like we were in each other's way on the Surf, and felt like we were constantly tripping over each other in the PG,"

I think we might be describing 2 different ships. The PG holds 320. We were 270. The place felt empty in many places and never felt crowded expect when the theater was filled during the educational lectures/at the pool which was never crowded (seating in the shade was even adequate) /at the bar before dinner.

Food and service were 5 star everyday/all day. The staff could not do enough for us -- from remembering what we liked for breakfast each day to where we preferred to sit at breakfast.

Yes, we will plan to sail on a Windstar when the time and place are right for our schedule. And will plan to return to the French Polynesia islands. The next time we return, before or after cruising, we will plan to stay on two islands for 4 nights each and experience their culture more in depth as well as experience the section of glass floor in the living/sleeping quarters on stilts over the water. Awesome!

Happy travels all.