St. Martin transfers to Wind Surf & Return Flight time from SXM

Jother

Hi All - - I'm getting ready for my first cruise on Wind Surf and my first sailing out of St. Martin - - of course I have a few questions I'm hoping you more Windstar experienced folks can help me with.

1. What it the best way to purchase transfers to/from SXM airport to Wind Surf on arrival and departure days?

2. Is it totally safe to book a 10am departure from SXM, or would it be better to book a 3p departure (which, actually, is half the price but doesn't get me into Dallas until after 10pm)? If you "vote" for the 3p departure, you you have any suggestions how I can kill time between when I have to disembark and arrive at the airport for the departure. I just hate the thought of having to hang out in the SXM airport for SEVEN hours! But, if that's what I am better off doing - - I'll just load up on books or iPad movies and do it!

Thanks as Always! Joth!

We have the same dilema with a 10AM flight from SXM to MIA and then connect to St.Louis. Our option was a 1:40PM departure from SXM. We chose to take the 10AM flight. The ship docks at 6AM in SXM and hope we can be one of the first to leave. Plan on a taxi or if WS can arrange a transfer, we will do that. We just didn't want to hang around an airport all day since we will need to leave the ship early anyway.

We will be in St Martin for 3 nights prior to the cruise and will take a taxi to the ship to embark. Staying at the Westin Dawn Beach. Using some Starwood points so that was an easy decision!

It's so easy to get a taxi from the ship to SXM airport and it's only a few minutes. If you leave the ship at 7:30-am you will be at the airport by 7:45 or 8 which is 2 hours before your flight so this is very doable.

Why not relax, find a place to store your luggage and leave the ship later, have lunch or go to the beach and then catch a later flight?

It's so easy to get a taxi from the ship to SXM airport and it's only a few minutes. If you leave the ship at 7:30-am you will be at the airport by 7:45 or 8 which is 2 hours before your flight so this is very doable.

Why not relax, find a place to store your luggage and leave the ship later, have lunch or go to the beach and then catch a later flight?

Thanks so much!

If I go with the much cheaper 3pm departure, is there a place nearby where I can have a few hours on the beach and then catch a cab to the airport easily? I'm going to have about 5 hours to kill and I hate to spend it just sitting in the airport.

The Holland House has a day rate of about $25 that will give you a beach chair, towel, some drinks and will check and store your luggage. They have nice beach with restaurant, bar, etc. They will also call a cab to airport for you. You can cab it over there from the ship. If you don't want more sun and beach they will just check the luggage and you can hang out. The beach walk is paved and nice. Also some tourist shops.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We've stayed at the Westin a couple of times. Nice hotel, good food, pretty remote. If they are still running time share tours you might take free day trip on catamaran to Martinique if you can deal with the sales pitch.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We also chose the 10am flight back from SXM.

Really looking forward to our Windsurf cruise in December.

Happy to read that others didn't miss their balconies. I get up at 4:30am and usually hang out on the balcony while DH sleeps. So if any of you see someone roaming the Windsurf in the wee hours of the morning, that will probably be me!

Do not buy ship transfers. They charge too much. A ride from the airport to the ship is about 15 minutes. Cost for 2 with luggage is $20 each way. It is cheaper, quicker, and more convenient than taking the ship transfers. Taxis are everywhere in St. maarten. When we sailed on the Windsurf, people were dusembarking very early. Making a 10 am flight should be easy. St. maarten airport is not big. I hope that you are staying in St. maarten either before your cruise. Many people stay for a few days afterwards too. Enjoy your cruise on the Windsurf. I have sailed on her many times. Prepare to be spoiled.

Our flight was later in the afternoon so we took a taxi to the -Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse where we were able to leave our luggage. I had called ahead and made the arrangements for the luggage. We walked and shopped and then returned to the hotel for a delightful lunch. They called a taxi for us and we headed to the airport at the appropriate time. It was very easy and gave us time to find some nice jewelry before leaving the island!

• 2 months later...

We had booked a 10AM flight from SXM to MIA on AA to connect to St Louis.

Just received notification from AA that they changed the 10AM departure to a 9AM departure. I thought we cut it close by taking the 10AM, but with the earlier departure I know we could not make it. Just called American and changed the flight to 1:15PM thru Charlotte.

Please check with your airline for any schedule changes!

We had lunch at the Pasanggrahan Royal Guesthouse after our cruise ended last winter. I had arranged for them to hold our luggage while we shopped and then we returned for lunch here. They then called us a cab to return to the airport for our flight home.

While we didn't stay here I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Everyone was so kind and the location was wonderful. We loved the vibe of the hotel as well.