Rhapsody Mediterranean review including compasses, photos, and more

We're on our way to Venice to spend a few days prior to boarding the Rhapsody of the Seas on Friday. I've been pestering all of the Venice cruisers for the past several months, so it's my turn to play it forward. Any questions you'd like me to look into? We're doing the 10 night itinerary with the following ports:

Corfu

Santorini

Athens

Mykonos

Kotor

Zadar

Clicking my heels.... hoping to wake up on the other side of the pond.

BB

We're on our way to Venice to spend a few days prior to boarding the Rhapsody of the Seas on Friday. I've been pestering all of the Venice cruisers for the past several months, so it's my turn to play it forward. Any questions you'd like me to look into? We're doing the 10 night itinerary with the following ports:

Corfu

Santorini

Athens

Mykonos

Kotor

Zadar

u

BB

Hi BB, hope you have a wonderful cruise and that clicking your heels will land in the perfect spot for you, although it won't be Kansas. :p

Keeping you in our hearts... and will look forward to your words of wisdom :)

Cheers,

Edited by All-ready2cruise

Corfu

Santorini

Athens

Mykonos

Kotor

Zadar

BB

We're cruising from Venice next month on the Rhapsody...where are you staying pre-cruise? We are just coming in one day early so what should we do in Venice? Thanks!!!

Corfu

Santorini

Athens

Mykonos

Kotor

Zadar

BB

We are doing the same itinerary in a month,looking forward to your review! Let us know about/

voom, speciality dining specials, great bartending staff, must see shows

Have a great trip!

Hi All-ready :)

Glilis- lots of people recommend staying just outside of Venice but I highly disagree. I think staying in the heart of Venice is so worth an extra $50.00. You can walk the streets at night. No worries about catching train/actv, and you get to experience a more real Venice after the crowds thin out. We are staying at "tribute to music". It is right at the entrance to grand canal. We took the water taxi (aguailala not actv from airport). $16.00 transport direct to Arsenal stop. One bridge to cross and it had a ramp to so super easy. We paid $150 a night (plus lots of taxes) for a waterfront room- here is our view from the room- couldn't be happier.

afc6b198105ffe310729ee1bdfdeddc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had an awesome day today, but it's out jet lag day so we didn't try to kill it. Purchased 48 hour unlimited actv vaporetto passes and road around quite a bit. Went all the way from airport to arsenal, checked in, grabbed some lunch, road all the way to plaza Roma. Caught the 4.2 line to Lido and checked out the beach only because I never made it here last time I was in Venice. Actually very much enjoyed the quaint streets and had a lovely dinner on the water. Much much more laid back than Venice proper. Getting ready to head to st marks for some evening orchestra entertainment. Here is a pic from the grand canal.

5863571c6f20720b7f37f10e8ebd4dc0.jpg

Looks wonderful, thanks for the awesome pics, as usual. So glad you're enjoying your pre-cruise stay. ;)

I remember that thing called jet-lag :p

Now that we are on the subject of remembering things.... I totally forgot there aren't toilet seats in most European bathrooms thus I totally forgot to add extra reps of squats in my pre travel routine. Don't be me ladies :)

St marks square in all her glory

f9ea2b34321b41d1329b787af5d8a55f.jpg

Here's another reason I MUCH prefer to stay in the heart of Venice. This is the view outside our window at midnight- the sleepy Venice so few ever get to experience. Plus from hotels around aguailala stops ( arsenal, zaccare, etc...)you can get a direct route to the cruise ship for $8.00 pp on cruise departure day. You avoid all crowds in pp. Roma and the horrendous people mover line. Just so much easier (and I've done this both ways ). Here is a picture of sleepy Venice from our bedroom Romeo/Juliette balcony. I so love this city :)

6556e4221d9ae28cd6ab54fc95cd3fa1.jpg

Fabulous day today. Did a "free Venice walking tour". Complimentary experience - guides work for tips. 3.5 hours and covered lots of back alley ways and learned a bunch. Highly recommend- reservations required. Gondola making:d964c54edd205151c74f1b2d151686aa.jpg

Thanks for all the wonderful photos ;) can't wait to be back in Venice next May :D

Would love to hear/see more on Kotor once you get there, May will be our first time & contemplating what to do, private excursion or on our own...

Thanks for any info. :) Bon Voyage and have a great trip !

Friday August 5th: Embarkation

So, let me preface this with the fact that I've been cruising since 1987. I mention this only for comparison. My first cruises were on a whopping 20,000 GT steam ship. Back then, the SS Norway was considered GINORMOUS! Fast forward 30 years and the Rhapsody is about the same size as the long gone (but never forgotten) NorwAy and she is considered pretty darn small. And at 20 years, she's not only small, but old. And wrinkley. Old is ok- small is ok- wrinkley doesn't bother me one bit, but that cluster they called embarkation got on my nerves. Whatever, it's Venice- I'll survive.

And just when I thought it was time to bang the party gong, I realized that cluster didn't even come close to describing rhapsody's windjammer during embarkation luncheon. All cruise ship buffets are terrible the first day, but the Person who designed rhapsody buffet should be hung in Marco square. It's Like a bee hive only far less organized. Whatever, it's Venice- l'll survive.

And just when I came to the realization that this cruise was off to a somewhat rocky start, the skies opened up and it rained cats and horses (which you should note, are bigger than dogs). Muster was postponed- Rejoice! And then we realized this was all just avoiding the inevitable and suddenly Mustering didn't sound so bad. By 4:30 the rain stopped and we obediently attended the delayed muster where life jackets are NOT required (are you listening Msc?). However, muster is held outside on deck the old fashioned way (where one must carefully time arrival so you aren't smashed against the wall like a sardine, but are blocked from the F4 prevailing winds). Whatever, it's Venice- I'll survive.

At 5:00 pm we pulled away from the pier. Within 5 minutes the skies entirely cleared and we were treated to a spectacular sail away. After all, it's Venice.

e2e18dd8615115afc920349970a9c279.jpg

So, the cluster continued at dinner. 10 people were assigned to a table that sat 6. I didn't volunteer to sit On dh's lap so someone had to move. At first, the Maitre de said (and I quote) "that is not possible". Then he carefully checked all our cards and low and behold.... It was possible. We moved. No big deal. Stuff happens. The "diamond" party of 16 that ended up at 3 tables on 2 different floors weren't so pleasant about the experience.

It must sound like I'm complaining, but honestly I'm not at all unhappy. This ship has some organizational issues thus far, but everyone has been pleasant and dinner wAs SUPERB! I had Caesar salad, horseradish crusted salmon, and carrot cake. Oh So Good!!

Rocky start usually means an incredible cruise (I just made that up, but I'm sticking with it) :)