Price match guarantee?

Redtravel

Has anyone had their cruise fare go down and asked for the price match guarantee? What happened? I am booked on a b2b. One leg of the trip had a large price drop. My agent is trying to get me a reduction on my cruise fare. I am more than 120 days out.

My cruise fare went down during the November Flash Sale. We are only around 90 days away. Got the difference in shipboard credit which we will use for gratuities, internet and drinks.

I believe that Windstar can determine the form of reimbursement under the price assurance policy.

Edited by SMNYCruise

My cruise fare went down during the November Flash Sale. We are only around 90 days away. Got the difference in shipboard credit which we will use for gratuities, internet and drinks.

I believe that Windstar can determine the form of reimbursement under the price assurance policy.

Better double-check to see if OBC can be used for gratuities. I have this vague recollection that it cannot. Hope I'm wrong...

Has anyone had their cruise fare go down and asked for the price match guarantee? What happened? I am booked on a b2b. One leg of the trip had a large price drop. My agent is trying to get me a reduction on my cruise fare. I am more than 120 days out.

I had a price reduction and it was given in shipboard credits.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On our last Windstar cruise, our friends thought that they could use their OBc for gratuities. They found out on the last day of the cruise that ObC could not be used for gratuities. They lost all of their OBC and had to pay additional for their tips. No way to spend it. Since we were in port the last 2 days of the cruise, the store was closed. No more excursions were sold. With one more day of a cruise, all they could do is buy a drink. There were several angry people at guest services. It would have been better if guests were made aware that OBC cannot be used for tips. After that experience I asked on my next cruise (not Windstar) if oBC could be used for tips. It could not be used for tips. At least I knew early in the cruise. Since the cruise was all inclusive, it was hard to spend the credit. We bought lots of junk from the ship store and used the ship laundry. We still left some money. There was no spa or salon on the cruise. On Windstar, you can use ObC to buy drinks, excursions, spa and salon services, transfers, etc.

• 1 month later...

We may not like the fact that OBC cannot be used for graturities but it is understandable from the Windstar point of view. One dollar of OBC spent in the shop or on drinks probably costs Windstar fifty cents, less on liquor . If one dollar of OBC not used during the cruise is used for graturities it costs the company one dollar since they are simply being used as a conduit from you to the employees

A Holiday Sale is advertised for Dec 12-23, and suite price dropped substantially within a few days of booking through our TA. Windstar did give us an OBC for the difference a month from sailing. First Windstar cruise, customer service gets high marks so far.:)

A Holiday Sale is advertised for Dec 12-23, and suite price dropped substantially within a few days of booking through our TA. Windstar did give us an OBC for the difference a month from sailing. First Windstar cruise, customer service gets high marks so far.:)

The holiday sale has dropped the price of the cruises before and after ours (which I think the OP is also on) but our cruise isn't on the sale. It's current "reduced fares + free perks" price is about $500 more in our category than the price we booked in October.

The price on the cruise after would be tempting except I really want to spend time in Barcelona.

We are keen to hear if others who have already booked and paid in full, have contacted Windstar re their Price Assurance Policy introduced earlier this year and asked for the difference.

The £ has suffered against the $ so, here in the U.K., we'd prefer reimbursement but, it looks like Windstar can choose.

When IS the best time to book a cruise?! :confused:

I booked before the price drop guarantee. I noticed that the current sale price of my cruise was lower (not by a substantial amount). Also the S and S1 suite pricing was now the same. BTW my final payment was paid last week. I asked my TA to ask for a suite upgrade to the next category. Windstar responded with an additional OBC. So we were happy with that. I would say Windstar is doing the right thing for its customers based on my experience so far.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our cruise price just dropped. We are within 90 days of sailing. We would have preferred shipboard credit, but Windstar "picked" a category upgrade instead.

That's interesting. My TA pushed for a category upgrade and WS wouldn't budge, so we got the OBC. I guess it depends on the sailing or person at WS you speak to.

I think it is capacity controlled on the individual cruises. Once we were called and asked if we wanted an upgrade on a particular cruise. I asked why and it seemed that there was a small group that wanted to reserve and wanted to be together, we were in the least expensive cabin class. So we were bumped up to the 2nd deck. I prefer the bottom deck but it was fine. Last year again we were called, about 3 weeks before the cruise, and offered a balcony for the repositioning from St. Martins to Colon, the cost was $200 pp, we jumped at it. When we got on the ship we found only about half the balcony rooms were taken, so probably that was capacity as well. That was our 19 th with WS so perhaps that is the reason as well. Our preference is the Surf on the bottom, we never sleep as good when we are there. Happy Sailing.

Noticed a substantial price drop today for our upcoming cruise on Wind Surf in May. Windstar reduced our fares without problem, couldn't of been easier. Kudos.

We have already booked and paid in full for our cruise on Star Pride May 2017.

Had you already paid in full?

Who did you contact to ask for the difference?

Can it only be done by 'phone as our emails are not being answered?

:)

Probably best to check Windstar's website as not all sail dates are on sale. To answer your question, we have not made the final payment and best way to handle is to call them. Good luck!

Can I ask why you paid in full for a May 2017 sailing? Unless it is a longer itinerary payment is due usually 90 days from sailing date.(penalty starting at 120 days). Did you use a TA? If so get them to deal with it. If not, then you need to call WS if that is who you used to book the cruise?

Edited by Sunprince

Can I ask why you paid in full for a May 2017 sailing? Unless it is a longer itinerary payment is due usually 90 days from sailing date.(penalty starting at 120 days). Did you use a TA? If so get them to deal with it. If not, then you need to call WS if that is who you used to book the cruise?

There was a 'Flash Sale' in November 2016.

In it, the cruise we wanted was there, the right dates in 2017, the right ship and the right stateroom so, we went ahead and booked it.

The proviso was that the price on offer had to be paid in full.

This latest sale offers the same things for $400pp less!

It makes us wonder when IS the best time to book a cruise?!

I suppose that if one wants a particular cabin/deck then, waiting until the last minute offers. may mean you cannot guarantee that choice.

We will call them . . . . . . remembering that Seattle is 8 hours behind the UK!

What has worked for us in the past in a number of instances is to book when you want, follow the sales on line, and call Windstar when something better comes up to get some sort of compensation.

We have found them to respond positively with something, reduced fare, on board credit, or upgrade. It appears to be their option as to which one.

Establishing a relationship with on of the Windstar planners is a big help in getting something done

There was a 'Flash Sale' in November 2016.

In it, the cruise we wanted was there, the right dates in 2017, the right ship and the right stateroom so, we went ahead and booked it.

The proviso was that the price on offer had to be paid in full.

This latest sale offers the same things for $400pp less!

It makes us wonder when IS the best time to book a cruise?!

I suppose that if one wants a particular cabin/deck then, waiting until the last minute offers. may mean you cannot guarantee that choice.

@cooee: We did the same with the November Flash Sale and realized that with the latest sale our cruise price went significantly down.

Though we booked via a German agent and have to pay in Euros, it was no problem to receive the price difference as OBC in Dollars.

Great job by Windstar!

The Windstar price guarantee model is perfect for us, because now we have a perfect cabin combined with a very reasonable price! :)

@cooee: We did the same with the November Flash Sale and realized that with the latest sale our cruise price went significantly down.

Though we booked via a German agent and have to pay in Euros, it was no problem to receive the price difference as OBC in Dollars.

Great job by Windstar!

The Windstar price guarantee model is perfect for us, because now we have a perfect cabin combined with a very reasonable price! :)

You probably already know this, but just in case you don't: you can't use your OBC for the daily gratuity charge. You don't want a nasty surprise at the end! Enjoy your cruise!