Windstar returns to Asia

SMNYCruise

It was announced yesterday that the Star Legend will sail to Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore up to Korea and Japan. No details yet although the itineraries should be up soon. It was also reported that the Yacht Club loyalty program will be revamped in 2017 so that frequent cruisers are rewarded.

All good news for Windstar!!

Excited. Several look like fun. Singapore/Thailand puts included much of what we saw on our Singapore/Dubai when the Pride left Asia, and it was great.

From the description of Toyko to Osaka, I wonder when they'll figure out that this:

"...and the ethereal beauty of Mount Fiji."

is not what I assume they mean.

As part of a party of five, I did the Athens Dubai itinerary...only in reverse in May 2015. We are now working on our seventh Windstar cruise, and over the years we have traveled extensively all over the world, but this cruise was truly the trip of a lifetime. The company did not make any money on our cruise with low passenger count and high expense...Suez canal, and I am surprised that they are offering it again. They do need to go through the canal and Red Sea to get to the newly announced Asia trips so I guess having some paying passenger aboard makes sense.

The company did an outstanding job on this trip, security, excursions, etc and I would encourage anyone interested in this part of the world to take advantage of this offering. Luxor and Petra alone make it worthwhile.

Any questions, please ask.

Barrycat

Unfortunately there are a number of errors on the site--for example the Japan and Korea one talks about visiting China... At any rate, these are very interesting destinations. We are planning on the Baltic cruise in 2019, but if that doesn't work out, we will most likely look closely at one of the Asia cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As part of a party of five, I did the Athens Dubai itinerary...only in reverse in May 2015. We are now working on our seventh Windstar cruise, and over the years we have traveled extensively all over the world, but this cruise was truly the trip of a lifetime. The company did not make any money on our cruise with low passenger count and high expense...Suez canal, and I am surprised that they are offering it again. They do need to go through the canal and Red Sea to get to the newly announced Asia trips so I guess having some paying passenger aboard makes sense.

The company did an outstanding job on this trip, security, excursions, etc and I would encourage anyone interested in this part of the world to take advantage of this offering. Luxor and Petra alone make it worthwhile.

Any questions, please ask.

Barrycat

Sounds facinating. We have friends who did Singapore and Thailand the last time they sailed in Asia. They also loved it and I'm happy to see these itineraries.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mt. Fiji seems to have been fixed. The click through from the "incentives" box isn't working properly on the splash page, my TA sent me a link that works:

http://www.windstarcruises.com/starperks/

The Japan itin, which we're looking at, earns the liquor package, ONE hotel night, Internet or $400 shipboard credit ($200pp and you can't split). WS has no idea yet which hotels they'll use, but note that the Tokyo port is Yokohama, so a fair hike from the city.

We're pretty much set up for Japan, and our TA says he can put a place holder on the credit for now and wait until the hotels are known. I'm thinking that the liquor package, based on recent costs, might be the best option pricewise. Internet is always nice but we'll be on shore most days and our T-Mobile package gives us unlimited data and text and so can do without the WS internet.

We did get the returning passenger credit. Not in the system yet, I think he was going to put it through today, and then I'll see if it shows in mywindstar or not.

I decided on Tokyo/Osaka, not the reverse, and we've "done" Tokyo and will likely just fly in the day before, make our way to Yokohama, have the cruise and then relax in Kyoto for awhile before returning home. For us, it's easy to fly into either NRT/HAN or KIX, so I'm sure we'll do an open jaw.

The weather should be great in April!

Edited by milepig

Unfortunately there are a number of errors on the site--for example the Japan and Korea one talks about visiting China... At any rate, these are very interesting destinations. We are planning on the Baltic cruise in 2019, but if that doesn't work out, we will most likely look closely at one of the Asia cruises.

I don't think that's an error. The previous cruise does indeed end in Beijing the same morning that this one begins before it sets out for Korea. I assume it does actually begin in China. I do note that while Mt. Fiji was fixed to Mt Fuji in the Japan itin, it is still wrong here.

I don't think that's an error. The previous cruise does indeed end in Beijing the same morning that this one begins before it sets out for Korea. I assume it does actually begin in China. I do note that while Mt. Fiji was fixed to Mt Fuji in the Japan itin, it is still wrong here.

I saw it on the cruise that starts in Tokyo and finishes in Kyoto.

According to Windstar, without the perk the pricing is less (about $700 on the cruise we are looking at). So the $1,000 ship board credit would actually only be $300 based on the higher fare paid up front. Certainly looks like the beverage package is the way to go as far as value.

According to Windstar, without the perk the pricing is less (about $700 on the cruise we are looking at). So the $1,000 ship board credit would actually only be $300 based on the higher fare paid up front. Certainly looks like the beverage package is the way to go as far as value.

That sounds like a classic bait and switch.

It's not bait and switch if you are getting the advertised rate with the perk. What is unclear is that you can pay less than the advertised rate if you don't want the perk. I am still waiting for pricing. The new system could not enter all the credits.

It's not bait and switch if you are getting the advertised rate with the perk. What is unclear is that you can pay less than the advertised rate if you don't want the perk. I am still waiting for pricing. The new system could not enter all the credits.

OK. Let's call it "sharp practice." The other way to look at is that the price with the incentive is increased over the actual lowest bookable rate, meaning the incentive is less valuable that it looks in the ads.

What credits are you looking for? My agent was able to enter the perk and my Yacht Club discount. Are you looking at something more as well?

OK. Let's call it "sharp practice." The other way to look at is that the price with the incentive is increased over the actual lowest bookable rate, meaning the incentive is less valuable that it looks in the ads.

I've come to terms with this, although in similar situations you tend to see something like "lower cruise prices may be available without the incentive" as a disclaimer. How did find out, did you ask about other prices or did the agent offer it.

Milepig: we got all our credits and just have to decide which perk we want.

I don't remember how I found out about the different prices. I agree that the incentive is less valuable than it looks in the ads but it seems like good value to me...especially the beverage package.

Milepig: we got all our credits and just have to decide which perk we want.

I don't remember how I found out about the different prices. I agree that the incentive is less valuable than it looks in the ads but it seems like good value to me...especially the beverage package.

The only credit I'm expecting is the alumni discount. Am I missing something?