Aft vs hump????

kwazi07

Hi everyone!

I'm currently booked in a hump E1 on Navigator. It has a (rare for E1) sofa bed, and it's the very last cabin on the hump. I read on one of the reviews on the CC review page for Navigator that this room was slightly roomier than other E1s. Also, the balcony looks bigger on the deck plan due to the curvature of the hump, but I can't find anything saying that.

Now, I've been checking prices and available rooms for a while and noticed two aft corners available! I'm so tempted to switch. But, the walk down the hall seems very inconvenient (first world problems) and I'm worried about soot. But, my biggest concern is the superstructure of the ship itself. There seems to be lots of catwalk looking things slightly obstructing the view--not enough to be categorized as obstructed. but enough to be annoying. Also, you cannot look straight down at the ocean as there is this big weird blue deck right below it. Also, there is a Pullman instead of a sofa bed which is a little annoying.

I probably sound crazy for possibly passing up an aft, but the slightly obstructed view fustrates me. I really want to take some nice pictures but metal is in the way. So do you guys think it's worth it? I'm really on the fence about switching.

Sent from Tapatalk

None, same category. I know it seems like a no brainer but my brain is being weird and making me hesitate...

If you like a huge balcony, take the aft. If you want an unobstructed view, and a short walk to the stairs/elevators, take the hump.

My step daughter and son in law had 7688 when we sailed on Navigator - balcony was absolutely awesome, we spent a lot of time out there! Never saw any soot. The walk to the back of the boat was not a problem for us, and well worth that great balcony. I was up one deck in the family suite on the aft, and the view was somewhat obstructed by the superstructure - thought the 7688 balcony had better view than the suite.

I pick the large aft balcony every time, but that is our preference. The view to the side is not obstructed... (example from FOS):

2c74e1aebf6dd68e107ca9d4996895aa.jpg

You can see many pictures of it in my Navigator review linked below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2334267

Whichever you choose, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually 7688 and 7388 are gone the first 48 hrs after the cruise is announced. Royal may have had them restricted for three passengers plus and has recently released it for only two.

They are fantastic cabins and are much better than any hump.

Long Walk.....lol

IMO

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Corner aft, especially with the side view. Had 7688 on the Explorer and loved it. I changed cabins 5 times before this opened up. Was really lucky to snag it! The walk was just good exercise for me. No soot. I can't take a lot of sun, so this was perfect. Also, you can use it if it rains. Never had a hump cabin, so can't compare. Only you know what is more important to you. I even put up some battery powered Christmas lights around the side porthole on the balcony...

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've done both although our aft cabin was on deck eight. There are pros and cons to both. We did love the big balcony aft but really found that to be the only advantage. There was more vibration but no soot issues. The long walk was no big deal. Our next cruise we're back on the hump though and are fine with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We prefer the hump.

We only tried an aft cabin once though on the Serenade and the down sides for us were the long walk and the vibration we felt from the screws turning in the water. The extra balcony space (in our case because we weren't in the corner) didn't really do anything because it was simply longer, not wider. One additional item to consider is people dropping things from the upper balconies if you are on a lower deck. Because of the slope toward the front of the ship, the upper balconies (and other venues on the ship) can look down onto your balcony if you sit out from under the overhead. When we were sitting on the balcony one day, one of our table mates from the MDR saw us from up above and yelled down to us. That may or may not be an issue for you.

Edited by 2chiefs

I am also one that really does not like the superstructure on the aft cabins

of Freedom and Voyager ships...but there are many, many that love them.

Had favorite corner aft 9256 on our Alaska B2B on Radiance....best cabin

on the ship IMHO! And best way to view both sides of the inland waterway.

We have had that cabin on several Radiance class ships and always loved it. :)

However, even though 9256 was available on our upcoming Serenade cruise,

we went with a dead center hump cabin. Lots, and lots of big swells out in

the open southern carib on the the way down to Aruba. Less tail bobbing

keeping to the center of the ship. :eek: ;)

Hi everyone!

I'm currently booked in a hump E1 on Navigator. It has a (rare for E1) sofa bed, and it's the very last cabin on the hump. I read on one of the reviews on the CC review page for Navigator that this room was slightly roomier than other E1s. Also, the balcony looks bigger on the deck plan due to the curvature of the hump, but I can't find anything saying that.

Now, I've been checking prices and available rooms for a while and noticed two aft corners available! I'm so tempted to switch. But, the walk down the hall seems very inconvenient (first world problems) and I'm worried about soot. But, my biggest concern is the superstructure of the ship itself. There seems to be lots of catwalk looking things slightly obstructing the view--not enough to be categorized as obstructed. but enough to be annoying. Also, you cannot look straight down at the ocean as there is this big weird blue deck right below it. Also, there is a Pullman instead of a sofa bed which is a little annoying.

I probably sound crazy for possibly passing up an aft, but the slightly obstructed view fustrates me. I really want to take some nice pictures but metal is in the way. So do you guys think it's worth it? I'm really on the fence about switching.

Sent from Tapatalk

We stayed in 6328 on Navigator and LOVED it! One of our favorite cabins by far! Perfect location, balcony was wonderful and seemed bigger! (the angle cut the wind so perfect for reading), outside the cabin door, there's a little "nook." Perfect for standing your luggage on the last night. Teen daughter slept fine on the sofa bed. Loved everything about this room! :D

Edited by Ladysilver

I am starting to really like the humps, because you are not walking the ship 4 times to get to and fro to your room. They are just as nice if not even in some cases better. The other side gigantic balconies across from humps on Radiance class are awesome. I am liking hoping the elevator and on my way. Corner Aft on Vision and sister; exceptional, and no kings ransome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

7688 and 7388. I would be more willing to switch if it was on a higher deck as there's less superstructure and you're further away from the weird blue deck.

It's been awhile since I was in those cabins on a Voyager class, but I was last in the deck 7 corner aft on Freedom and while you do have the blue deck you do have the one side window with a great view. (If I remember correctly Navigator having it too) This photo is Freedom.

spouses.jpg

This photo of Navigator and Freedom, I believe, shows Navigator's deck 7 corner aft also has that side window.

withusincozumel.jpg

This is the deck 7 superstructure, but this is Freedom.

superstructure.jpg

The one time is it an absolute must for us to have an aft balcony...prefer larger

corner aft...is doing the inside passage in Alaska. Wonderful to be able to see both

sides of the waterway and that fantastic view.

Otherwise...hump or aft both good.