Opinions on Costa for a a first timer

cocacola86

We've sailed Carnival 4 times to the Caribbean, looking at European whats Costa like do they speak English, what's the food like is it all Italian? How is the airfare program is it like Fly2fun? Are the cabins spacious, what's the drink program like is it like Carnivals Cheers? Any opinions would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've sailed Carnival 4 times to the Caribbean, looking at European whats Costa like do they speak English, what's the food like is it all Italian? How is the airfare program is it like Fly2fun? Are the cabins spacious, what's the drink program like is it like Carnivals Cheers? Any opinions would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Lot of questions there, so I'll give a quick'ish answer.

All the crew speak good English & you have a English Host & you should go to the first meeting where you will meet follow speakers & learn much more.

The food is mainly Italian but for someone who hates Pasta I always manage to find some nice to eat. On most ship you also have a 'any time choice' or chicken/salmon although this seems being dropped on some ships.

The cabins are first class Premium is the best choice, the buffet offers reasonable choices of the standard fare, nice pizzas there are also burger/hot dog bars. Pay Restaurants (25Eruos) are good value for special meal.

The All inclusive drinks packages are great value all people in party must purchase these. Also you can purchase these on board.

Can't comment on air fares, from the UK we find it is much cheaper to buy our own even with a night before stay it is cheaper.

Most of Carnival's and Costa's ships are fron the same builder (Fincantieri), the cabins and basic layout are the same.

Flying to Europe, there are considerations like the six-hour time change that cruise air doesn't care about but make a big difference to you. I have missed a connection in ZRH that I would have missed the ship if I was travelling same-day.

Menus, recipes, portion sizes are geared to Europeans, expect a lot of seafood. I also always find something I like but if you're looking for huge portions of bland American comfort food, go elsewhere.

Safety announcements are always in English, anything not in English isn't for you and can be ignored.

Drink packages have changed recently, I don't use alcohol and stick to a la carte. Buying water is normal in Europe even though the ship's water is perfectly safe ("waterusa" package is included with Costa USA bookings but not other countries).

You do need to deal with an agent who is familiar with Costa and can properly explain options.

There were a couple of threads last spring fron people on the Transatlantic to Italy. I was also on that trip and can state from my personal experience most of what was said was either misleading or wrong.

Edited by Dancer Bob

The food is real Italian, not fake Italian. By that I mean the evening menu will have a first course starter, pasta or risotto course, a main meat course (with few vegetables), dessert and cheese.

All the staff speak English, but my experience is there are usually few native English speakers on board. On the Costa cruises I have been out has ranged from around 40 to fewer than 20.

Evening entertainment is designed for the multiple languages, so there is little talking (ie no comedians). Music and dance numbers are intended for the whole audience, so Euro-pop songs you have never heard of.

Daytime entertainment, there are obviously no lectures or talks, and although things like the cookery competitions are supposedly multi-lingual in reality they are in Italian.

As mentioned before, the drink packages are good, although they recently changed.

• 2 weeks later...