What are the dance venues in Costa Magica, any ballroom possibility? How is the food

gam888

We are considering sailing on the Magica in September. We enjoy doing some ballroom dancing or simply other dancing in the evening. Could you please tell me how many lounges on the ship has a dance floor? How many house bands are there on the ship? What type of music do they play? I don't expect a lot of ballroom, although it would be nice to do a Waltz, Cha Cha, or West Coast Swing sometime. Is there a DJ that plays taped music as well? Just simply doing some free styling dancing is good as well.

Would we have a choice to wonder from lounge to lounge to experience live music that we can dance to, but not limited to just one lounge with one band only?

How is the food and service? How do you find the fellow passengers? Any information on this ship is welcome.

I've been on the Magica a few times. If you like to dance you won't be disappointed. Most of the music is taped but with a few live musicians. There are about six places to dance and a disco. In my opinion much better dancing than on other cruise lines.

The Magica has seen better days . We did a transatlantic last December on her.

The food was ok, the service was quite good. I think that Costa do better on the longer cruises than they do on the 7 day round the Med ones

Lots of dancing on Magica - but that fake music really spoils it for me!

Just back off the Magica, our fifth cruise on her.

As said above plenty of dance floors, one large one in main ballroom & other smaller ones in various bars.

I my opinion food throughout the Costa fleet is now becoming extremely limited, (just two choices plus a veggie one) although still fairly tasty. they had even closed the Specialty Restaurant which we used at least twice during each cruise, where you could still have plenty of choice off really tasty dishes. Hope closing the S.R's, is not going to be fleet wide as we have still two more cruises booked with them.

I've been on Fortuna, not Magica, I'll make some generic comments that should apply.

The main lounge (Grand Bar) will have almost continuous music from 6 PM til 1 AM. 6 PM to 8PM is less busy, the bands can play requests. Late sitting therefore gives more time for dancing. Officially, there are no dance hosts but the cruise staff do dance with passengers. The floor is circular with unfortunately placed pillars, but large enough for standard/smooth when it's not busy. The quality of the groups varies from so-so to outstanding, but they all should be able to do decent waltz (both Viennese and "English") and cha-cha- WCS is not as popular in Europe, you may have to listen for a song to use as an example.

There's another large lounge at the back of the ship plus several music venues. Other venues are deliberately themed to appeal to various tastes, some of the music can be good for dancing when the Grand Bar is busy.

Be sure to read the daily program for meal times. Dining after 9 PM is a weak point. Personally, I don't think premium restaurants are worth what they charge.

Edited by Dancer Bob

25 euro's for a brilliant tasty five course meal, food like Costa use to serve in the MDR is certainly good value for us, even if we can eat in several of the restaurants on board free of charges.

On the Diadema we had a choice of Specialty restaurants to chose from having upgraded to a suite which included the drinks package in the price, but also the option of the main dining room as well.

On the Magica we paid for Lobster in MDR but not in other venues.

Thank you everyone for your replies. It looks like there are some dance venues on the ship that would offer us some variety. Just hope that the main dance floor is not packed. As seen on some Italian ships we have been on, with a lot of very young kids running around on the dance floor. Which sometime could be a safety risk for both the kids and dancers.

Our research continues......

Thank you everyone for your replies. It looks like there are some dance venues on the ship that would offer us some variety. Just hope that the main dance floor is not packed. As seen on some Italian ships we have been on, with a lot of very young kids running around on the dance floor. Which sometime could be a safety risk for both the kids and dancers.

Our research continues......

I think the kids are back in school in September.