Costa Dining question

MarkMichaels

We booked premium rooms on the Costa Diadema and are trying to figure out how dining on Costa works. We have the option of early or main dining or open seating. Is there a difference in the Aft or Forward dining rooms for early dining? If we do the open seating, is there a difference between the Ristorante Adularia and Ristorante Corona Blu?

We open seating, do the dining rooms open earlier than the Early Dinner from 19 o'clock? Also, would there be a long wait to get into the open seating? We tend to like to eat earlier, would much rather eat at 6pm as we also tend to be done for the day by 10pm.

Thanks for any help,

Mark

Edited by MarkMichaels
Forgot to put in ship nam

I would alsobe intersted in the answer to this question - we are booked onto the Delizioza but had no option of open dining and it was either early or late - early option was very early however and late was far too late. Would much prefer an open 'anytime' dining approach as we would likely not be eating 5 courses either so were put off by the idea of sitting 2 hours for a set dining. Can anyone advise if open dining is an option on this ship?

I have also heard very bad reviews about the food and general overall Costa - slightly regretting booking now!:confused:

I have also heard very bad reviews about the food and general overall Costa - slightly regretting booking now!:confused:

I'm not putting a lot of faith into the reviews, I'm sure we'll find something to eat that we like. I am nervous about the cruise, but more for the fact that its our first time to Europe and first try with Costa. There doesn't seem to be a ton of information out there on these ships. No regrets here, very excited to see the new ports and spend a few days in Barcelona!

Mark

We have tried both dining times on our Costa cruises. We decided that the first sitting (6.30) suits us better . We usually go in at 6.45 which is acceptable with the waiters though we have seen some people go in as late as 7.30!

We decided the 9pm sitting was too late as sometimes it's 45 minutes before food arrives. There is always a good selection of bread on the table to keep you going.

Make sure you order all the courses as the main course is usually not very big. The pasta is too big but delicious. If you don't like something your waiter will be happy to bring you something else.

I haven't done freedom dining on Costa so cannot comment.

Happy cruising!

Caryl

You must rember Costa is not an American cruise line but Italian.

There are basically three area where you can eat at night:

1. Set dining times in the MDR with two sittings early at about 18:30 and late about 20:30 with waiter service. Times can vary according to cruise region and season. Premium cabin passengers can "request" a paticular sitting - early or late.

2. Speciality restaurants, mainly not free and reservations required, waiter serive. Suit passengers can eat in the Club Restuarant and Spa Cabin Passengers in the Spa Restaurant, F.O.C. This also includes the Pizzeria in the evening which is chargeable.

3. The last option is the Buffet. This is not "My Time Dinning" or "Your Time Dinning" or "Anytime Dinning" it is a normal buffet, normally open 18:00 to 21:00 (again times can vary). You just go to the Buffet, when you are hungry, there is no waiter service, you line up with your tray take the food you want and then look for a table (no reservations can be made).

In the daily program, the opeing times of the various eating establishments will be shown.

3. The last option is the Buffet. This is not "My Time Dinning" or "Your Time Dinning" or "Anytime Dinning" it is a normal buffet, normally open 18:00 to 21:00 (again times can vary). You just go to the Buffet, when you are hungry, there is no waiter service, you line up with your tray take the food you want and then look for a table (no reservations can be made).

In the daily program, the opeing times of the various eating establishments will be shown.

Thank you for the info! Not trying to argue, especially as I only know what I've read thru reviews and these boards, but the anytime dining options give me the choice of 2 restaurants. One is the Blu, which is part of the buffet, but what I've read is for anytime dining a portion is walled off, it is sit down service with waiters and offers the same menu as the dining room. The other option for anytime dining is the Adularia Ristorante on deck 3, which can't be part of the buffet. I have not found any info on this choice.

Our dining times are 19:00 and 21:00, would like to know what time the Ristorante Adularia opens for anytime dining?

Thanks again,

Mark

The Diadema is unlike most Costa ships, the Corona Blu is just part of the buffet, you can always see the Maître D' deck 4 to get tables changed if on wrong sitting. 5.30 & 6.30 first sitting 9.15 late this also changes with different cruises. The Restaurant mid-ships is the smaller one, & often English speaking guests are left on their own, due to departure ports. The MDR aft is the better one, food now is quite limited mainly down to two choices with each course. But even I a real fussy eater can usually find something, even two starters and two deserts.

The are three specialty restaurants on board all three were 60 euros worth every cent. quite an experience & like Costa of old and Pizza joint which does serve great pizzas.

As said buffet is now open longer in the evening, giving you a further choice.

Yes this is an Italian line which is geared to them but we have our 22 booked with them & have great memories of some wonderful cruises.

If it is not in English it does not concern you.

Thank you all for your useful tips! Costa aren'tvery informative themselves so is really great to have some info!

Can you advise on what the Club restaurant menu is like? Are the MDR options also available in there for suite guests?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Thank you all for your useful tips! Costa aren'tvery informative themselves so is really great to have some info!

Can you advise on what the Club restaurant menu is like? Are the MDR options also available in there for suite guests?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Interesting question Lisa86. Since all suite guests will have the option of all meals, (breakfast, lunch and dinner), in a designated restaurant (most probably one of the specialty restaurants), and non-suite guests can eat in the same restaurants for a fee-will be interesting to see what menu will be for the suite guests in said restaurants. Will it be the same menu only without a fee? Wonder if anyone has experienced this yet, (should have been fleet-wide by the end of June 2016).

Anyone have any input??

Thanks,

tnt10

Lisa86,

Just re-read another thread by Laurin612 about her recent suite experience on the Favulosa-lots of info on that thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2374323

Appears that the dedicated restaurant for suites on the Favulosa was the specialty restaurant Club Favulosa. Suite guests could use this restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner with no charge. (Some high tier Costa Club cruisers could as well too). All other guests had to pay a surcharge to eat there. The menu was different than the main dining room-it was the specialty restaurant menu. Sounds pretty nice!!

Happy Cruising,

tnt10

Yes I did see the other thread of the suite experience but I am aware that offerings vary according to ships and so the menu that she was describing may not be similar to the Club Restaurant which we have been assigned to on the Delizioso as being able to go to if we do not want to go to the MDR.

Made a good read though!:)

Suite guests can eat in a separate area of MDR's also Club Restaurant's on some ships. You also have the option which we always take, of using Suite areas for Breakfast & Lunch, but in MDR for our evening meals as this still gives the opportunity of meeting other English speakers & enjoying their company.

This suits us as we now rarely go ashore & enjoy leisurely meals during the day while still enjoy company at night.

One other bonus is during sea days knowing that whatever time you eat, your table is waiting.

Unless things have changed since we last sailed on the Diadema you'll find that the Corona Blu is for anytime dining. It is true that it is part of the buffet area but in the evening they have a maitre'd at both entrances and it is table service. The menu is the same as the main dining room.

We've been on the Diadema twice and had the option for Corona Blu both times. We never had a problem getting a table for two, which we prefer.

You can even try and get the same table or servers every evening. We managed that first time round and they ywere great and looked after us very well. Unfortunately second time round we sat at a different table every evening and di not get to know our servers.