Why do Alaska cruises begin in Vancouver and not end there ?

Ykgorbie

Hmmm....that's odd. When I look on Carnival's website, their Alaska cruises begin in Vancouver and end in Seattle. I thought I had read somewhere that it was because of some International Laws and due to the fact that the ships were registered in Panama......

The one way north and southbound cruises sail between Vancouver and Whitter or Seward (in Alaska) depending on the cruiseline.

There used to be some roundtrips out of Vancouver, but the more common roundtrips sail out of Seattle. I prefer the north and southbound cruises though.

Carnival could make VAC the homeport of their Alaskan cruises if they wanted to, but I imagine for most from the US its more expensive to fly into Vancouver than Seattle.

One of the main reasons they made Seattle the home port was because in the past people had to fly into Anchorage then get to Whittier...lots of planes, shuttles etc...so Seattle is a cheaper and more attractive option for many US pax.

I read the answer on here a long time ago and can't seem to search the answer. Can anyone explain why a cruise originating from Vancouver BC to Alaska ends up disembarking in the U.S. ??

From what I seen and read, you get to see more of Alaska and more time in the ports. A lot of Alaska tours wind up in Whittier or Seward and a lot of people take land tours at the beginning or the end of their cruise to go to places like Denail and explore other parts of Alaska on land.

If you sail out of Seattle, you get very little time Ketchikan. There is something called the Jones Act that requires a ship that sails out of the US and returns to the US to stop at a foreign port. Thus your time is cut short in Ketchikan and you have to stop in a foreign port, which is normally Victoria, B.C., and the stop is very short and at night. That satisfies the requirement.

I sure would like it if they would have an Alaskan cruise that started and ended in Vancouver. Or even if it started and ended in Seattle. then I would be able to actually drive to a port.

The only ones I can find start in Van and end in Seattle, or visa versa.

Or, I guess I could always to a back to back?

I sure would like it if they would have an Alaskan cruise that started and ended in Vancouver. Or even if it started and ended in Seattle. then I would be able to actually drive to a port.

Check Celebrity, many cruises on either Millenniun, Century, or Infinity. Either Seattle round trip or Vancouver round trip. Princess also has several round trip from Seattle and also round trip San Francisco.

Hope this helps. Enjoy Alaska, its beautiful!!

Melody:D

I sure would like it if they would have an Alaskan cruise that started and ended in Vancouver.

Carnival used to when they began cruising in Alaska. They would do northbound and southbound cruises to/from Vancouver (and you could do B2B beginning and ending in Vancouver). However, at some point in time, they moved to Seattle and limited themselves to roundtrip sailings from there.

Carnival is not the cruise line I would choose to sail in Alaska. With only one ship out of Seattle, their itineraries are very limited.

These cruise start and end in Seattle

http://www.carnival.com/core/cruisedetails.aspx?embkCode=SEA&itinCode=GLD&durDays=7&shipCode=SP&subRegionCode=A&numGuests=2&showDbl=False&isOver55=N&isPastGuest=Y&stateCode=GA&isMilitary=N&sailDate=5/8/2012&sailingID=58865&sailingSearchParams=dat:,dest:A,AG,dur:,embkCode:SEA,pageNumber:1,pageSize:5,PastGuest:Y,Senior:N,shipCode:,sort:FromPrice,StateCode:GA,numGuests:2,offersOnly:false,tgo:,Military:N,length:1,#tab-02

Archived