Rape on MS Galaxy

japanese

Just saw this news

https://shariaunveiled.wordpress.com/2016/04/01/sweden-five-muslim-immigrants-gang-rape-a-young-swedish-schoolgirl-aboard-a-cruise-ship-on-holiday/

Five men, including two believed to be accessories to murder, have been arrested on suspicion of gang raping a girl on-board a special, high school kids-only pleasure cruise in Sweden.

Four men aged between 18 and 19 were arrested when the luxury MS Galaxy landed after its cruise to Finland on Wednesday, with a fifth arrested yesterday. They are all accused of gang-raping an unidentified girl and face charges of aggravated rape.

Wow! The whole point of going on a cruise with the family is to let the kids roam freely on the ship as I expect them to be safe there. Now, I don't feel I can do so any more. They don't just rape girls. I've seen a story of a boy being raped in the changing rooms of a public swimming pool - mind you, that was on land but the point I am making is that even boys are not safe.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-07/sexual-assaults-soar-swedish-swimming-pools

• 4 weeks later...

That's terrible.

However, not all people travelling on cruise ships are nice. In the 80's I knew of a group of men on a cruise out of Australia who were pedophiles. Unfortunately it was a young guy sharing their cabin (when you could share with strangers) who discovered this, and when he took action against one of them (via martial arts), he was the one put ashore in Noumea and had to find his own way back to Western Australia. The pedophiles? Continued happily on the cruise - they'd complained that they 'feared for their lives', hence the ship's action. Sigh.

Then, a couple of years ago I was on the Carnival Spirit and saw a young girl, around 10, out and about on her own, wandering the decks at midnight.

So where is the responsibility of the parents? It's up to them to know where their children are and to ensure that they are not running around everywhere and inconveniencing other passengers. There was enough of that on the Carnival Spirit!

Sorry, but the point of going on a cruise is NOT to let kids roam freely whilst mum and dad have a good time.

I have some doubts about this article. First, the date...April 1, 2016. April Fools Day. Second, the ship pictured in the article is the former Celebrity Galaxy, which left the fleet in 2009 to sail for TUI cruises as Mein Schiff I. The current MS Galaxy is a Swedish Cruiseferry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Galaxy

EM

And I think you're right, Essiesmom.

I hadn't bothered reading the article as I was commenting on what can happen on a cruise and how important it is for parents to keep a watch on their children as not every cruiser is a good person. What I reported did happen.

However, now having read the article, I wouldn't believe a word of it because this is an anti Muslim site which delights in spreading this sort of garbage. You simply have to read the 'trending right now' headlines further down the page, or check what comes up under their headings to realise this.

I would live this to be a hoax. However, if you Google this subject there are many articles from reputable news sources on this news topic.

The question everyone a cruise should ask themselves is "would I do this on land" or "would I give my children this much freedom in an unknown town of 6,000 people"

• 4 weeks later...
......Wow! The whole point of going on a cruise with the family is to let the kids roam freely on the ship as I expect them to be safe there. Now, I don't feel I can do so any more.......

Are you kidding? You had them and it is your responsibility to take care of them. You have no clue what is going on with them when you allow them to roam freely. :rolleyes:

Are you kidding? You had them and it is your responsibility to take care of them. You have no clue what is going on with them when you allow them to roam freely. :rolleyes:

Sooner or later, you have to let them out of your sight. Maybe not until they're 18, but some parents let them off the lead sooner. Reckless? Not to me.

Surely the time matters. Some ships have curfews for younger passengers. I would not be comfortable unless my kid was reliable and with other trustworthy young people. Being alone could be a problem.

Edited by Tansy Mews