Captain Cook vs Blue Lagoon Cruise

Noelle2016

We are thinking of doing a cruise on either Captain Cook's Reef Endeavor or Blue Lagoon's Fiji Princess next year. I read that Captain Cook just completed a major refurbishment of the Reef Endeavor and Blue Lagoon completed one 2 years ago. Has anyone been on the CC Reef Endeavor or the BL Fiji Princess since the refurbishments? Does anyone have any experience with both Captain Cook's Reef Endeavor and Blue Lagoon's Fiji Princess? From my own research, it seems the itineraries are very similar. CC is bigger with more public spaces but both are still small ships. Until recently, people commented that CC's ship was showing its age but maybe that has changed now since it has been refurbished. I didn't read too much about the condition of BL's ship but someone commented on bug problems with BL in the past (not sure if that problem has been resolved but I assume it probably has). What is really swaying me toward CC is that the cabins are slightly bigger and open up to the deck so it seems it might almost be like having a balcony. I'd love to get more feedback from recent guests on these ships. Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I just came across your post. I'm afraid I can't help you with Captain Cook, but we did 4 nights with Blue Lagoon in February this year. We had a lovely time and can't say enough about the friendly, lively crew, who looked after us so well. I hope the following will be of some help:-

Fiji Princess - in good shape generally, I didn't notice anything to complain about. We loved the dining area and salon at the rear of the ship, both open to the rear so that you could see the see and the little splash pool (only filled when at anchor, because the water sloshes out otherwise) The free wifi was excellent (none in cabins though). Makes me wonder what the excuse is for the large cruise liners who charge you for this. There is a lovely top deck which runs the length of the ship with comfy sofas and a tiny laundry with ironing board on the lowest deck.

Cabins - Tiny but adequate. However I would not want to do more than 4 nights in one, nor would I want to share with anyone except my other half, not even a close friend!

Food - Not 5* but good enough and always plentiful. Nice cake at afternoon tea time.

We had a wonderful relaxing time, but it was off season and the ship was only half full. Its not large and I would not want to be on it when it is full capacity, so I would avoid busy times.

I hope this helps. We would certainly sail with Blue Lagoon again, but if larger cabins are important to you then you may want to think about CC.