Middle East Cruising.

chromered7

We will be cruising in the Middle East, Dubai, Oman, Salaha and Jordan have any of you any experiences or tips to share? We have never cruised in this area before and we are out of our comfort zone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You might be better to post this in a ports of roll board as Azamara has not cruised much in this area - next year they are offering many more trips there

i was on the ship that sailed to Oman last year. had to wear long pants and tops. . it was hot. flew home from Dubai but stayed on ship that day reflexing before that flight.

most middle eastern countries i will not go too. pesonal reason.

Enjoy your trip

As others have said, you're best to look for the roll call for your cruise or go to the Middle East forum. But, from personal experience, having sailed to Dubai, Oman and Jordan, I can't recommend them highly enough. I did this cruise and loved it. The locals were very welcoming and everything is a sensory overload from the huge cities to the souks. Salalah, Oman has some of the most beautiful coast anywhere in the world. We hired private guides in each port and feel that we saw much more than the ship's tours. I loved it so much, that I am introducing my husband to some of these same places on Celebrity next year. Enjoy!

Michael

Edited by TxnAquarian

We have done two cruises that docked in Muscat (Oman), Dubai, and Egypt (Safaga). We loved Muscat. As a woman I wore long trousers, but short sleeved tee-shirt (would definitely not been happy in a strapping top). First cruise we did a tour from Muscat that went into the countryside to a local fish-market, a fort and a stream where there were 'spa' fish - they nibbled the dead skin on your feet! Second time we went on a tour around Muscat seeing the palace, Mosque (couldn't go in because it was Friday), lovely museum and finished at the bazaar. You could get a free shuttle from the ship to the port gates then walk along the beautiful promenade up to the bazaar. It's a very nice country, very clean and tidy. Dubai was interesting - we went on the hop-on, hop-off bus booked and as an Azamara excursion. This was for the same price as if you got on the bus in town, and the bus came to the ship side. At Safaga we went on a desert safari to a little Bedouin village and had a camel ride - bit touristy, but quite interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have done this area through the Suez three times and loved it. Don't forget that there will be pirate measures as you transit through the Gulf of Aden meaning no use of outside decks at night, including balcony and there will be security crew onboard. Lasts about five nights depending upon local circumstances.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I have not cruised in this area much. But I have done land trips to Muscat, Oman only once. Dubai 3 times and Ada Dubai 2 times, UAE. The people are nice. I went to dinner at a families home in Oman. Bought gold at the Gold souk in Dubai. Shopping and the Aquarium at the Dubia mall. Dubia also has Big Bud tour.

Have done this area through the Suez three times and loved it. Don't forget that there will be pirate measures as you transit through the Gulf of Aden meaning no use of outside decks at night, including balcony and there will be security crew onboard. Lasts about five nights depending upon local circumstances.

Phil

the one reason why i will not take this cruise.. i use my balcony all the time. not for me..

i did part of what grandma did in Omen. lunch was not worth it to me.. we never saw a real museum.

Hi I spend a significant amount of time in this region ,one observation I will make about cruises is they often go mid year which will mean it is hot ( really hot) .The security issues are known and well managed do not let the hype spoil your trip.

Do not miss a trip to Petra if you have an opportunity it is a longish road trip but really worth it Jordan is a really friendly country .Dubai is the easiest place to travel taxis are cheap my DW loves the Gold Souk ,Silk Souk .For the view of a lifetime the Burg Khalifi ( pays to book online in advance) and go latter in the day when the sea mist clears .We generally stay close to the Creek in Dubai and go out after dark when it is cooler.

The piracy issue seems to have waned lately ( I deal with the oil industry) the naval efforts in the region seem to have greatly reduced the problem.

My cruise wish list for the region would be better timings say December to April and Iranian ports great sights and despite the media image very friendly people .

Earlier this year we went to Oman and Dubai, unfortunately not Jordan. Really wanted to go to Petra. Oman was wonderful, went to Muscat and loved it. It was very clean and the people were extremely nice and friendly. Dubai was something to see, but is a City without a soul. It is just a lot of $$$$$, glass and concrete. They just keep building bigger and bigger to impress the rest f the world. The architecture is interesting, the people are nice, but once was enough for us.

Go to Petra!!!! That is in my opinion the highlight of the trip. In Oman we went to the souk then took a taxi and went to a private beach to kanoo (forgot the name) that was wonderful. Afterwards a little tour with the cab. It was cheap and we gad a great day. Don't muss the fountains in Dubai. They are wonderful.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6 met Tapatalk

Dubai is one of these places you have to see to understand- you will then form a view of love it or hate it. You can't help but love the traffic - by that I mean the Masseratis and the Lotus trying to get away from the lights first at 11am in the morning :)

It's expensive, but there is a lot to do for free if looking and watching is your thing. A walk through a mall complete with sharks swimming in an aquarium 4 stories high beside you, the fountains at the base if the Burj at night - different musical performance every 30 mins etc etc. Going on a local abra across the creek (no need for a boat trip). The list goes on.

I regularly change planes in Qatar and am looking forward to explore here further than the airport but if their new airport is anything to go by, it is going to be another country of high tech, high spec sites interspersed with fascinating mosques, some newly built and costing millions.

We are also so looking forward to seeing Petra at last.

Yes, we will have some restrictions- no alcohol ashore in some countries and limits on outside activities at night. We have done Dubai to India before on Azamara - they handle the "black out" really well, we hardly noticed it and at night the dining rooms took on a different "cosy" ambience. No one was demanding window seats either!

I can drink ashore anywhere apart from a few countries in the Middle East, I can be outside at night in other places, but I can't see and experience the sites of Petra, Oman etc there.

And in case others are worried, certainly from my experiences in Dubai and Kuwait (ok we are not going there and actually they are not geared up for tourists) they have fabulous museums and have invested serious money in preserving artefacts and displaying them properly.

I am heartened to read about others experiences in this part of the world and our 2016 cruises there are being looked forward to big time

Edited by uktog

Earlier this year we went to Oman and Dubai, unfortunately not Jordan. Really wanted to go to Petra. Oman was wonderful, went to Muscat and loved it. It was very clean and the people were extremely nice and friendly. Dubai was something to see, but is a City without a soul. It is just a lot of $$$$$, glass and concrete. They just keep building bigger and bigger to impress the rest f the world. The architecture is interesting, the people are nice, but once was enough for us.

Interesting assessment.

A former colleague works as a lawyer in Dubai, and he claims that it is sort of a Potemkin Village (my words, not his). The skyscraper he works in is largely empty, but they continue to build as they attempt to convince everyone they are more diverse economically than just a petro power.

Another former colleague is now in Qatar. Interesting comments re: the Princes and the upcoming World Cup.

I would love to visit these ports on an Azamara cruise, both fascinating creations of the post WW II world.

But my Qatar buddy would state that Petra is one of the most amazing sites he has seen in the Middle East. It would be a priority.

Edited by nordski