Tipping

Ebeth63

While I know that tips are included in the cost of Azamara cruises, I think I have read somewhere that additional tips are appreciated for certain services. I am thinking particularly of room service. On our forthcoming trip we may want to take the option of having breakfast in our room (for the first time ever) on the days when we are going on Land Discoveries' tours. Can anyone tell me whether we should tip the person who delivers our order and if so, how much and in what currency. We are happy to tip for this 'extra' service but don't want to get it wrong! Many thanks

We have tea and fruit juice in our room every morning and don't tip. We take the view that as both tips and room service are included, we do not need to tip the server.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We take that view on a day to day basis however at the end of the cruise it is likely we give our room team extra and that will reflect amongst other things how many meals they have brought us

I tip everyone who walks into my cabin to clean and my butler.. i also tip bar staff extra and others.. the money they get is never enough so i give. .also i use $$$ as they can switch to local cash or bring it home. .many crew member eat out daily in port and they use the $$$.

I tip extra for room service, at the beginning of the cruise for a few bartenders, and at the end of the cruise for a good room attendant. I usually don't tip at dining venues except for something exceptional (i.e. a special birthday or aniversary celebration with a cake).

I realize it is "included" but a few bucks isn't going to bankrupt me.

John

Are the porters who take your bags when you arrive at the ship Azamara employees? Whether they are or aren't, should they be tipped? If so, how much? Thanks! :confused:

U give like $10. i want to see my bags again.. figure $5 a bag.

I'm really quite concerned about this whole topic. For us one of the big benefits about Azamara is we don't need to worry about tipping. In the UK we don't really have a tipping culture as generally people serving in any capacity are paid reasonably well, unlike in some other cultures where tips are essential' is wages are so low, as I believe is the case in the USA.

If many passengers start tipping, crew will come to expect it and so we're all back feeling as if we have to tip!

I'm really quite concerned about this whole topic. For us one of the big benefits about Azamara is we don't need to worry about tipping. In the UK we don't really have a tipping culture as generally people serving in any capacity are paid reasonably well, unlike in some other cultures where tips are essential' is wages are so low, as I believe is the case in the USA.

If many passengers start tipping, crew will come to expect it and so we're all back feeling as if we have to tip!

That's the worry, just look at all the threads here about tipping on lines with auto grats and people who say they never tip extra getting abused and called all sorts of names.

All I can say is that in terms of the question posed in this thread I do tip a small amount for room service (usually when I'm not feeling so good) of say $2 to $5 depending upon what is brought and it's always struck me that the staff delivering it have looked a bit surprised, but grateful. This is how it should be. There is no reason to tip extra on Azamara, but it is always very much appreciated.

Phil

Azamara specifically say that gratuities are included. Whilst I can understand (and do) tipping for some extra service it clearly should not be the norm. The best way is to give to the staff fund as that benefits all staff and not just those public facing.

I have, however, encountered a (very) few people on Azamara (as well as Silversea and Regent) who boast of "tipping" at the start of a cruise to get better service. That is not tipping - that is not only bribery but demeaning as it implies that the staff do not ordinarily do a very professional job. All the staff I have met on Azamara do a very professional job and are proud to do so.

Well I come from the land of tipping (unlike the UK, France or Australia). On all-inclusives like AZ, and on cruises where my tips are included, I tip only for something special, or for really good service, such as an exceptional cabin steward or butler. And only after the experience, not before. Just me.

All gratuities (except the Spa) are included in the cruise fare.

If a guest would like to reward service with a tip, it of course would be appreciated. There are no expectations of gratuities on the part of our shipboard personnel, nor should there be feelings of obligation on the part of the guest.

My point in "extra" tipping, and by extra I don't mean extravegent, is that if I pay a few thousand dollars for a crsuie, a few extra dollars in the grand scheme of things means nothing, and if it helps out a hard working crew member or someone that went well above and beyond, then so be it. It is also amazing how quickly the bartenders get your drinks when you "pre-tip" a $20 at the beginning of the cruise (call it bribery if you wish).

John

My point in "extra" tipping, and by extra I don't mean extravegent, is that if I pay a few thousand dollars for a crsuie, a few extra dollars in the grand scheme of things means nothing, and if it helps out a hard working crew member or someone that went well above and beyond, then so be it. It is also amazing how quickly the bartenders get your drinks when you "pre-tip" a $20 at the beginning of the cruise (call it bribery if you wish).

John

Ok if you insist, it's bribery.

Ok if you insist, it's bribery.

It's important to some that they get better treatment than others.:rolleyes: Makes 'em feel special or important. On one Cruise Critic board, someone boasted of cutting a large bill in half and giving one half to a room steward or butler and said he or she would get the other half if service was up to snuff. Hard to believe, I know.

I agree with you, GUT. If gratuities are included, they're included. Tip additional when someone does something extra for you that's not part of their regular responsibilities (e.g., on other cruise lines I've seen people ask their room steward to get a lounge chair from the pool deck for their veranda; or, if your butler goes to a lot of effort to arrange a large party in your corner suite). In any case, bragging about one's tipping generosity can intimidate others into thinking it necessary to tip additionally when that is not necessary or expected, and is a disservice to those trying to understand what is policy or customary on a given cruise line.

Someone above suggested giving to the general crew fund as a way of expressing gratitude for receiving excellent service, and I heartily endorse this approach.

Edited by marinaro44

It's important to some that they get better treatment than others.:rolleyes: Makes 'em feel special or important. On one Cruise Critic board, someone boasted of cutting a large bill in half and giving one half to a room steward or butler and said he or she would get the other half if service was up to snuff. Hard to believe, I know.

I agree with you, GUT. If gratuities are included, they're included. Tip additional when someone does something extra for you that's not part of their regular responsibilities (e.g., on other cruise lines I've seen people ask their room steward to get a lounge chair from the pool deck for their veranda; or, if your butler goes to a lot of effort to arrange a large party in your corner suite). In any case, bragging about one's tipping generosity can intimidate others into thinking it necessary to tip additionally when that is not necessary or expected, and is a disservice to those trying to understand what is policy or customary on a given cruise line.

Someone above suggested giving to the general crew fund as a way of expressing gratitude for receiving excellent service, and I heartily endorse this approach.

I find it amazing how many want o tell the world how "Generous" they are. I recall reading in a book once something about giving your alms in private, seemed like good advice.

Then this tip early for better service, now once upon a time I worked in that ort of job, it would have had the opposite effect on me

1. What you don't think I'll do my job without a bribe

2. I've got your money I'll now concentrate on hose I need to win over.

But hey maybe I'm just different.

One thing i can say about this thread is that half believe in extra tipping and the other half does not. i do tip extra and i do remember birthdays and Cmas. But i believe when one o na ship 7 months at a time it all adds up.