Luggage Locks?

downrunner

I should know this but I don't. Can you padlock your luggage or is there a certain type of lock you must use? Any help would be appreciated.

If you are flying to the port, then the only lock allowed is a TSA approved lock. If you are driving to the port, then definitely lock your luggage with whatever lock you want. I would never turn over my bags at the port without having them locked up tight, and instead of locks, I usually use zip ties, that way I know for sure if anyone has been in our luggage.

I should know this but I don't. Can you padlock your luggage or is there a certain type of lock you must use? Any help would be appreciated.
For the cruise, you can absolutely lock your luggage. If you are flying, use a TSA-approved lock. You can tell it's a TSA lock if it has a little red "diamond" somewhere on the lock.

Use any type of lock you want---TSA locks are not needed, and indeed, it's not a "law" that you must use them for flying, either!

You can buy packs of keyed locks, so that you only need one key for every lock. But whatever you use, DO lock your bags!!!!!

Use any type of lock you want---TSA locks are not needed, and indeed, it's not a "law" that you must use them for flying, either!

You can buy packs of keyed locks, so that you only need one key for every lock. But whatever you use, DO lock your bags!!!!!

It isn't a law, but if you are flying and TSA wants to search your luggage, they can and will cut off non-TSA locks. TSA approved locks can be opened by them with a special device and then reinstalled without harming them.

We always pack a few of these cable ties in the top pocket of our luggage (along with the extra Princess tags) after our flight to the port. :)

cableties.gif

Zip ties are my friend for cruises. :) I have them in all the colors of the rainbow. ;)

I wonder how many people now have the TSA device to unlock TSA approved locks. It is only a matter of time before they can be purchased on the internet probably from a third world country. TSA has issued an alert:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/claims/damagedlocks.shtm

There was a video on Utube and mentioned in another posting concerning how easy it was to open a locked luggage with a zipper around the opening. They used a common inkpen, opened and closed the luggage without disturbing the lock or damaging the zipper.

I use the colored cable ties not so much to keep people out but to notice when the suitcase has been entered. Of course I put nothing of value in the checked luggage so unless they are interested in my clothes, they will get nothing of value.

For locking your luggage for the loading and unloading on the ship any lock is fine. As others have pointed out for flying in the US you need TSA approved locks or risk getting them cut off. Overseas regulation varies but many countries require locks.

Its a good measure for added protection against tampering or theft but like a locked door does nothing to stop the determined thief.

Regardless do lock your luggage!

We always pack a few of these cable ties in the top pocket of our luggage (along with the extra Princess tags) after our flight to the port. :)

And how do you cut them off since scissors sharp enough to do this must be in checked baggage?

There was a video on Utube and mentioned in another posting concerning how easy it was to open a locked luggage with a zipper around the opening. They used a common inkpen, opened and closed the luggage without disturbing the lock or damaging the zipper.

I was talking to my husband about TSA locks, and he locked his suitcase, and promptly took a pen and opened it via the zipper.

My plan, for when we go to South American is to put all my electronics and other valuables in my carry on, and either leave my good jewelery at home or wear it until we get on the ship.

We don't bother to lock our luggage and never have had a problem. I am of a mind that they only keep the honest out...if anyone really wants to break into you luggage they can cut most soft sided luggage with a box cutter. We don't place anything of value in our checked luggage so don't worry about it. However we did have a baggage tag cut off one of our bags once, we suspect by a dockside porter, and were left wondering if we lived closer to the port if our home would have been broken into.

And how do you cut them off since scissors sharp enough to do this must be in checked baggage?

Actually, scissors with blades under 4" are okay for carry on bags. I carry them. And when we don't have them, we stick a pen through the cable tie and twist it tight until it breaks the cable tie. Nail clippers work too. Lots of options.

However we did have a baggage tag cut off one of our bags once, we suspect by a dockside porter, and were left wondering if we lived closer to the port if our home would have been broken into.

You shouldn't put your home address on your luggage tags. Use your work address. Consider just listing your cell phone number. Too easy for anyone in the airport to write down your home address.

Whoops, forgot to mention the nail clippers. Used to carry extra clippers in the bag with the ties but DW always has them in her purse. As lexdevil said, you can use a pen or car keys to break them off if necessary.

We put the zip ties on the checked bags between the airport and the pier. We then place a small pair of sissors in the side pocket of the luggage. When we arrive at our stateroom, all we have to do is take out the sissors and cut the ties. ;)

Bill, we've been using cable ties for years. Mike packs a wire stripper in an outside pocket. In fact, he packs one in each checked suitcase. So far none stolen yet. Buy a little one; approx. 4" in length.

If you are flying to the port, then the only lock allowed is a TSA approved lock. If you are driving to the port, then definitely lock your luggage with whatever lock you want. I would never turn over my bags at the port without having them locked up tight, and instead of locks, I usually use zip ties, that way I know for sure if anyone has been in our luggage.

Toto I take it one step futher. I cut the zip tie end diagonally pretty tight to end so that if someone opens it and replaces it with another I still know that someone has been in my bag. I keep the cut ends in my carry on so if I think someone has switched them I can match up the diagonal ends to see if they fit. I know, I know, its over the top. My wife tells me that I am a loser too. But I have never lost anything packed in the luggage. I think the big box home improvement stores have them in colors now.

You shouldn't put your home address on your luggage tags. Use your work address. Consider just listing your cell phone number. Too easy for anyone in the airport to write down your home address.

I always put my business card on my baggage tag. You are right. Never put your home address on your baggage tags.

WCC

Good idea and used to do exactly that but now am retired so don't have and office and am quite happy without a cell phone...people have a habit of calling you if you have one I have noticed.:D

• 3 weeks later...
It isn't a law, but if you are flying and TSA wants to search your luggage, they can and will cut off non-TSA locks. TSA approved locks can be opened by them with a special device and then reinstalled without harming them.

We had both of our TSA locks stolen/broken off our luggage on a recent flight to Anchorage. TSA left its little notice in the suitcases to let us know that they had opened them, and they replaced the 2" wide straps that we placed around each bag. But they didn't have the decency to even throw the TSA locks, broken or otherwise, into the bags as a courtesy. We got paperwork online to file a complaint, but the paperwork was too cumbersome to make it worth our time. What's the point in a TSA lock if they won't be put back on the luggage?

Archived