Is Honfleur to Paris worth it?

Tarpeian Rock

We're on the June 2017 "Viking Glory" cruise on Marina. Our "Paris" stop docks in Honfleur. I've been tc the France-Ports board and established that it's about 2 1/2 hours one-way to Paris. While we've never been to Paris and would like even a small "taste" of the city, we're wondering if 5 hours or more on a bus even makes sense. Would appreciate any thoughts from veterans of this port and what they decided to do, what kind of time the O sponsored excursion gave you in Paris, etc. Our alternate thought is Normandy, seemingly more doable in terms of time, but not the allure of Paris. Thanks!

I always weigh in AGAINST doing a drive like that for a short time in a big city. The only time I would say "well, okay" is if it IS a city like Paris or Berlin and you think you will never have another chance to visit there. But with 2-3 hours there (if you are lucky) you aren't going to see much. These cities deserve more time.

Besides, Honfleur is a charming harbor town and we easily spent a day there ...

Mura

P.S. There are plenty of people on CC who disagree with me! I'm sure you will hear from them as well.

Edited by Mura

I always weigh in AGAINST doing a drive like that for a short time in a big city. The only time I would say "well, okay" is if it IS a city like Paris or Berlin and you think you will never have another chance to visit there. But with 2-3 hours there (if you are lucky) you aren't going to see much. These cities deserve more time.

Besides, Honfleur is a charming harbor town and we easily spent a day there ...

Mura

P.S. There are plenty of people on CC who disagree with me! I'm sure you will hear from them as well.

Would agree with you 100%. Honflieur a great little town, but the Normandy beaches are something to be seen. and the American cemetery is someplace you need to visit. We spent 7 or 8 hours with a wonderful local guide and still did not see it all. Do Paris another trip when you have more time in the city and not just sitting on a bus.

I would only do it if you really thought it was the only chance you would ever see Paris. With 5 hours on the road, how much time could they possibly spend there? And presumably driving around Paris in a bus, or giving you free time to walk and get lunch.

Honfleur is a delightful town, well worth it just on its own. I've never been to the Normandy Beaches so I can't comment.

Next time you do a cruise in the vicinity, plan it so you have a pre- or post-cruise in Paris--it is a wonderful place.

We have done both and in our opinion every American should visit the Normandy Beaches. It is the most moving and beautiful places we have been. We were honored to have a Normandy survivor in our group and he was full of information a guide could never have given us. There is also a small museum that is a must. There is just "something" about the beaches that makes you realize the sacrifices those men gave for freedom.

Honfleur is a wonderful town and well worth a visit. The people are welcoming and glad to see you.

Would agree with you 100%. Honflieur a great little town, but the Normandy beaches are something to be seen. and the American cemetery is someplace you need to visit. We spent 7 or 8 hours with a wonderful local guide and still did not see it all. Do Paris another trip when you have more time in the city and not just sitting on a bus.

I agree that Normandy is also worth a visit but we opted against doing it from Le Havre when a local tourist bureau (in Normandy) said it was too long a drive. So we spent that one day in Honfleur and a few months later we did a self-drive trip from Paris and spent several days in Normandy, at a sweet little B&B a hop, skip and a jump from Gold Beach. You need more than a day there anyway to really see it. Our hostess gave us the name of a wonderful local guide and we had a great time.

Mura

Agree with others above.

Paris really deserves a lot more than a couple of hours. I too would find a cruise that would allow for a pre or post stay in Paris (even a cruise starting/ending in London or Barcelona will allow you to reach Paris easily and quickly by train).

Instead I would enjoy charming Honfleur and consider visits to Caen, amazing Rouen or see the Bayeux tapestry.

Honfleur is lovely, as are the surrounding areas. Thatched roof houses, fields of flowers (Think Monet) etc. Sit at an outdoor cafe in Honfleur and just enjoy the day with a coffee or glass of wine. It is very special.

Paris is special also, but the time involved getting there is not worth it, unless it is your only opportunity to see the Eiffel Tower etc. Otherwise, I would wait and repeat Paris with at least 3 days to do it right.

Yes, Honfleur is charming but Paris is Paris and if this may be your only chance to visit then I recommend the following. Hire a private car and driver/guide to pick you up at the ship, take you to Paris, show you around and bring you back, You'll cut the travel time, have more flexibility in Paris and you can get out and walk around, have lunch etc and the car will be there for you when you're done. Is it the ideal way to see Paris? Of course not but I still think it's worth the money and energy.

Sorry, but my vote would definitely be for Honfleur!

You'll see more of Paris watching a good travelogue video then you will trying to do it (even with private car) from Le Havre...Paris needs to be experienced...think best way is to get an overview of the beauty and monuments on top deck of L'Open bus and then walk the streets, Ile St. Louis, Cite, etc...make a few days in Paris sometime the top of your bucket list!

Normandy IS something everyone should see, also but really too much to take in on a one day excursion...

Honfleur is thoroughly charming and right out of an Impressionist painting...there are wonderful walking tours and guides...and lots of sidewalk cafes for coffee and calvados to enjoy. But even Honfleur is changing, as on the way in from Le Havre you'll pass thatched roof homes and stone Normandy mansions being renovated as weekend/vacation homes...so experience this historical gem of a town while you can. And even in a half-day tour you can thoroughly explore her.

For musicians, there is a wonderful museum in Honfleur in the house where Erik Satie was born. There is also a lovely art museum there (Musee Eugene Boudin).

We had lunch in the main square and at the end of the meal the proprietress came to recommend that we go to Maisons Satie and she was thrilled to hear that we had already been there.

Mura

We have done both and in our opinion every American should visit the Normandy Beaches. It is the most moving and beautiful places we have been.

Amen to that.

There is also a small museum that is a must.

There are dozens of museums ranging from outstanding collections with excellent signage to some farmer's barn where he displays the things he has dug up from his fields over the decades.

To decide among these museums takes some research before you arrive. The easiest way to accomplish your research is to have conversation with the private guide you hire. The Airborne Museum at St. Mere Eglise gets my vote for the best museums. A new exhibit there allows visitors to walk through a plane of the type that dropped the paratroopers inland prior to the invasion. This display recreates the experience so vividly -- sound/wind/cold -- that I was quite disoriented. I had to remind myself I really wasn't flying above the Normandy countryside. Very powerful.

The Utah Beach Museum is another excellent place.

There isn't much time to do both. Aside from our land trip to Normandy where we spent about 4 days there, we did a day trip while on a Viking cruise in 2012 from Rouen. As I recall the drive each way was about 2 hours, so we were able to see the Bayeux Tapestry, two cemeteries and the Canadian Museum at Juno Beach. A very full day but not enough time to see more than that. While Honfleur is a small town, maybe all you could do if you combine both places is a drive-through to see the town and then on to the Beaches.

It was interesting for a U.S. citizen to see the Canadian perspective of the D-Day invasion.

Mura

We're on the June 2017 "Viking Glory" cruise on Marina. Our "Paris" stop docks in Honfleur. I've been tc the France-Ports board and established that it's about 2 1/2 hours one-way to Paris. While we've never been to Paris and would like even a small "taste" of the city, we're wondering if 5 hours or more on a bus even makes sense. Would appreciate any thoughts from veterans of this port and what they decided to do, what kind of time the O sponsored excursion gave you in Paris, etc. Our alternate thought is Normandy, seemingly more doable in terms of time, but not the allure of Paris. Thanks!

This is a fantastic itinerary by the way....I booked it too :)

Personally not keen on Paris...

At the moment Paris is almost a no go for some of us due to terrorist activity recently and also the loss of the flight from Paris to Cairo....I would be reluctant to fly to there.France is being targeted....

At the moment Paris is almost a no go for some of us due to terrorist activity recently and also the loss of the flight from Paris to Cairo....I would be reluctant to fly to there.France is being targeted....

Yes, Something else to think about also. But the D Day beaches are something everyone should see. Seeing the photos and walking on the beach and thru the American Cemetery gave me the chills. Good luck, and safe trip.

I hope you have a crystal ball to tell you what the next targeted city will be or where the next targeted flight will be going. Then you can avoid any possible threat.

I hope you have a crystal ball to tell you what the next targeted city will be or where the next targeted flight will be going. Then you can avoid any possible threat.

No crystal ball..

Just facts from our foreign office as follows..from today..

On 19 May 2016 EgyptAir Flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo disappeared over the Mediterranean. The Egyptian authorities are co-ordinating the response to this incident. The causes of the aircraft’s disappearance are as yet unknown

The FCO has put together some top travel and safety tips to help fans travelling to France for Euro 2016. See ‘Be on the ball’.

There is a high threat from terrorism. Due to ongoing threats to France by Islamist terrorist groups, and recent French military intervention against Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL), the French government has warned the public to be especially vigilant and has reinforced its security measures.

On Friday 13 November 2015, a number of terrorist incidents took place in Paris resulting in widespread casualties. A national state of emergency remains in place. You should be vigilant in public places and follow the advice of the local authorities. Check the French government’s advice about what to do if a terrorist attack occurs. See Terrorism