How is the

shushutu

We just returned from Alaska on Saturday. We were on the 10 day cruise on Regatta. Being first time on this ship I can't give you a comparison. I will say this- the ship was beautiful, the crew was the best we have ever had on Oceania and the food was excellent. Captain Hansen was a man with a terrific sense of humor and just outstanding in his navigation of the ship. He took us to 1/2 mile of Hubbard Glacier on a sunny day with not a cloud in the sky! It was a marvelous experience! I wouldn't hesitate to sail on Regatta!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How is the Regatta doing. Has it been recently updated?

she was last upgraded in 2014

we were on her in April & she was looking fairly good

The carpets in the cabin we had could do with a clean but other than that all looked good

dinner service was painfully slow some nights ..not sure what the problem was

roothy123: the CD was David Bradshawe. He is new to Oceania coming from Princess Cruises. I'm not sure if he will be on your cruise- I talked to him one morning and he was headed home to Toronto in June for a break. So maybe you will get Ray Carr.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can u tell me if there are any items transferred in concept from the Marina/Riviera other than Baristas? For example are any of the newer specialty restaurant menu items available anywhere. I am still feeling deprived as our last O cruise in 2012 had gastro problems so I was unable to go to either Jacques or Red Ginger.

Can u tell me if there are any items transferred in concept from the Marina/Riviera other than Baristas? For example are any of the newer specialty restaurant menu items available anywhere. I am still feeling deprived as our last O cruise in 2012 had gastro problems so I was unable to go to either Jacques or Red Ginger.

Recently acquired and refurbished Sirena (formerly the Ocean Princess) now has a Red Ginger and a combination of Polo & Toscana - named Tuscan Steak.

They also have Jacques Bistro at lunch time in the MDR.

Presumably these changes will be implemented on the other R ships in time.

Thanks I had found that but we will be on Regatta in August so the changes wont be that radical.

In the GDR nightly they offer a couple of menu items from Red Ginger & Jacques as a choice

Not sure about the lunch

I will look at the daily menu they provided in the CURRENTS & report back

Sixth time O cruiser, and taking the Regatta from Buenos Aires to Lima next year. Was wondering if anyone had taken the smaller O ships around the Cape as I have heard it can get quite rough there. I have been told not a problem with the stabilizers but I have been on the Regatta between Bermuda and Charleston where we could not get into Charleston Harbor last year and the waves were splashing the windows up on Horizons. Most passengers and crew were sick.

Having been on Marina once, I just do not like the larger ships at all. Too many people and at times like a cattle call. Only advantage I saw was having Red Ginger which is the best dining option going on Oceania. Other than that I always make sure to get one of the 684 ships.

Sixth time O cruiser, and taking the Regatta from Buenos Aires to Lima next year. Was wondering if anyone had taken the smaller O ships around the Cape as I have heard it can get quite rough there. I have been told not a problem with the stabilizers but I have been on the Regatta between Bermuda and Charleston where we could not get into Charleston Harbor last year and the waves were splashing the windows up on Horizons. Most passengers and crew were sick.

The seas will do what they do

we have survived an Irish sea gale, a storm in the Caribbean sea on the R ships & a rogue wave where the water came up over the walking track

some people will get sick when the water is more than bumpy

the ships are sturdy things but you cannot predict the seas

PS

We made it to Charleston this yr without incident but had to stay in Bermuda an extra day (poor us ) because of a storm front & we missed Norfolk

Having been on Marina once, I just do not like the larger ships at all. Too many people and at times like a cattle call. Only advantage I saw was having Red Ginger which is the best dining option going on Oceania. Other than that I always make sure to get one of the 684 ships.

Well, I can't agree with you that Marina is a cattle call (although we DID encounter problems leaving the ship at the end, I can't deny that) ... and I don't agree that Red Ginger is the best dining option! I know I'm in the minority on that but Asian fusion is not my thing ... whereas Szechuan IS.

I wish I could weigh in on how the "R" ships do going around the tip of South America. We had been booked on Renaissance for a Far East cruise in January 2002 -- the final pay up date was a week or so after the bankruptcy happened. So we ended up on NCL's DREAM on a Buenos Aires-Valporaiso cruise in January 2002 (which had tons of Renaissance passengers on board). Now the DREAM (no longer with NCL's fleet) was a stretched vessel that carried 1750 passengers, so quite a bit larger than Marina or Riviera. We had some very smooth sailing on that cruise and also some rough sailing. From what I have seen on reports of that itinerary, it's really hard to know what you will encounter.

We had very rough seas going to Aruba on Regatta in 2004, so bad that the captain took us further out to sea. This sounds like what you encountered going into Charleston.

We did have some rough seas on the SA trip but when we were at the Falklands, the Captain said it was the best day he'd seen there in 25 years. (A few days earlier while the DREAM was coming from Valpo to BA, it was so rough they couldn't tender.) And it was beautiful sailing at the Cape of Good Hope.

On our cruise, seas were pretty calm going around the Cape but others have reported differently.

What I am saying is there is no predicting ... unfortunately I cannot give a direct comparison on an "R" ship. But we have been on "R" ships in other parts of the world where it was tough sailing -- the North Sea in 2006 for one! There just are no guarantees. You won't always have days on end of mal de mer in an "R" ship going around the tip of SA, and you won't always have calm days in a much larger ship in the Caribbean or the Med.

If you want to do the itinerary, do it ... and hope for the best! I am sure it won't be awful ALL the time....

I guess that isn't much assurance, is it?!

Mura

(While I was writing this long message Lyn was much more to the point! But I think we pretty much said the same thing.)

Edited by Mura

In the last couple years there have been quite a few new CDs on Oceania.

Yes; I've noticed that. Luckily they seem to be pretty good at what they do. Do you think they're rotating in some of the CDs from Norwegian ships? I think Ray Carr came from Norwegian, but now I forget.

Thanks I had found that but we will be on Regatta in August so the changes wont be that radical.

No Taste of RG or Jacques in the lunch menus in the GDR

but do check the dinner menu nightly as they had Taste of Jacques & Taste of red Ginger which changed daily

Enjoy