Disembarking in Rome

luvtravel

So put some ribbons on your bags or self disembark. Or buy some bags in another color.

I put coloured duct tape down the side of my bag but if people do not look at what they are grabbing it does not help

Spent 30 min at Port Everglades looking for our bag finally the cuprit returned it :eek:

so much for getting to the airport early

Just off ship there last week. Traveling alone I did a shared van to leave 8AM. I always self carry bags off. OP with black bag had his mistakenly taken by another black bagger. Waited for him 40 minutes, knew would miss my flight and the driver found me another ride to airport. So put some ribbons on your bags or self disembark. Or buy some bags in another color.

Our transport is for 7am....will take bags off ourselves. Did you have to go through customs at the Civ port? Thinking maybe they check passports the night before on ship. Just wondered if there is anything that might delay us when we are disembarking. The ship is scheduled to arrive in port at 6:00am. I have read the transport companies, we are using Rome Cabs, have a system for knowing when ship's clear customs....hope so if we are late getting off. Have a 11:20am flight. Thanks!

Our flight is 11:15 am and I scheduled the transport for 8 am because that's what time it said the ship is arriving. Should I reschedule for earlier then? The transport co said 8 would be sufficient.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Our flight is 11:15 am and I scheduled the transport for 8 am because that's what time it said the ship is arriving. Should I reschedule for earlier then? The transport co said 8 would be sufficient.

The OP stated that their ship arrives at 6 AM and they have a flight at the same time as yours and comments were that they might not make their flight. Your ship arrives 2 hours later so you should be extremely concerned and almost positively change your return flight.

The ships arrival time is when they are tied to the dock and assumes no delays or lateness when does occur from time to time. After docking, the authorities have to clear the ship and in some ports the luggage must be unloaded before passengers are allowed to disembark.

Rescheduling for an earlier transfer will do no good as you most likely will not be docked before 8. Even if you carry off your own luggage, it is doubtful you will be allowed to disembark until 8:30 or later. In the transfer vehicle no earlier than 8:45 if not an early crowd disembarking. Then the drive to the airport which by reports has varying times in the best of traffic of at least an hour and if traffic, never know and with this being around rush hour if a weekday, arrival at the airport say 9:45 to 10 AM at the earliest. For international flight you have to arrive at least 2 hours early and with all the terrorism, time to get to your plane increases and at best you are at the airport 1 1/2 hours ahead.

No doubt you need a later flight as any of many possible delays and you will miss your flight and the airline may or may not have room on later flights and could ask you to pay for a new flight. Could be next day or later needing a hotel room on you. Why face the hassle, nail biting and worry on your last day. Take a later flight or get a hotel room and fly out stress free the next day.

The OP stated that their ship arrives at 6 AM and they have a flight at the same time as yours and comments were that they might not make their flight. Your ship arrives 2 hours later so you should be extremely concerned and almost positively change your return flight.

The ships arrival time is when they are tied to the dock and assumes no delays or lateness when does occur from time to time. After docking, the authorities have to clear the ship and in some ports the luggage must be unloaded before passengers are allowed to disembark.

Rescheduling for an earlier transfer will do no good as you most likely will not be docked before 8. Even if you carry off your own luggage, it is doubtful you will be allowed to disembark until 8:30 or later. In the transfer vehicle no earlier than 8:45 if not an early crowd disembarking. Then the drive to the airport which by reports has varying times in the best of traffic of at least an hour and if traffic, never know and with this being around rush hour if a weekday, arrival at the airport say 9:45 to 10 AM at the earliest. For international flight you have to arrive at least 2 hours early and with all the terrorism, time to get to your plane increases and at best you are at the airport 1 1/2 hours ahead.

No doubt you need a later flight as any of many possible delays and you will miss your flight and the airline may or may not have room on later flights and could ask you to pay for a new flight. Could be next day or later needing a hotel room on you. Why face the hassle, nail biting and worry on your last day. Take a later flight or get a hotel room and fly out stress free the next day.

Prior to booking our flights for this cruise - Oceania told us that anytime after 11 is fine to book - using their transport or ours. Much later, after reading how some feel we won't make our flight - called Oceania and was told that most probably we will be able to disembark around 6:45. Called the airline too about changing flight times - impossibly expensive - quoted $8000 each. This is not an exaggeration! If we miss the flight (hopefully not) - we will be waitlisted for next available flight, which may be the next day and in a different class (we have business class tickets). Much cheaper that way, maybe an overnight stay, but will not be fun. I wish I could change flights!!

Prior to booking our flights for this cruise - Oceania told us that anytime after 11 is fine to book - using their transport or ours. Much later, after reading how some feel we won't make our flight - called Oceania and was told that most probably we will be able to disembark around 6:45. Called the airline too about changing flight times - impossibly expensive - quoted $8000 each. This is not an exaggeration! If we miss the flight (hopefully not) - we will be waitlisted for next available flight, which may be the next day and in a different class (we have business class tickets). Much cheaper that way, maybe an overnight stay, but will not be fun. I wish I could change flights!!

Wish you the best cruise ever and sincerely hope you make your flight but, how did O tell you that you could disembark at 6:45 or has there been an arrival time change since you contacted them?? Or was your 8:00 arrival in the last post a typo?

Personally, we always figure that we won't be able to disembark until a minimum of an hour after scheduled arrival. We arrive in Amsterdam at 6 AM this August and might have been able to make an 11:30 however, we will be staying overnight at the airport hotel and flying home the next day. Too much stress to rush to the airport. Last cruise we were on we actually were docked at 5:30 AM, early, and weren't able to get off until 10:30 and almost didn't make our 1:30 flight. S$%^t happens!!

Wish you the best cruise ever and sincerely hope you make your flight but, how did O tell you that you could disembark at 6:45 or has there been an arrival time change since you contacted them?? Or was your 8:00 arrival in the last post a typo?

You might be confusing the 2 different posters

OP said they dock at 6am

Cruisegal said they dock at 8am

You might be confusing the 2 different posters

OP said they dock at 6am

Cruisegal said they dock at 8am

Correct Lynn, thought cruisegal was responding to my post and it was the OP. The OP might make their flight docking at 6 but, Cruisegal said they docked at 8 for the same flight at 11:15 and don't see how they can possibly make that flight.

Sorry about the confusion and thanks for the correction.

Correct Lynn, thought cruisegal was responding to my post and it was the OP. The OP might make their flight docking at 6 but, Cruisegal said they docked at 8 for the same flight at 11:15 and don't see how they can possibly make that flight.

Sorry about the confusion and thanks for the correction.

They both may have a problem I checked the OP's cruise & it states 8 am arrival also

unless things have changed for what is on the website itinerary

Good luck to all ;)

Edited by LHT28

They both may have a problem I checked the OP's cruise & it states 8 am arrival also

unless things have changed for what is on the website itinerary

Good luck to all ;)

Thank you for the 'heads up' about the possible change in arrival time. My official documents printed from Oceania site when I completed checkin, etc. state 6:00am arrival and believe they asked for our flight times - would have been nice to get info from them about the change. As I said, I had called Oceania and a rep there had confirmed for me, prior to booking the flights, that my 7:00am transport would be A-ok as we could disembark approx. 6:45am if we were walking off but also even if we were taking their transport since the cutoff time for flights was 11am (ours is 11:20am). I will call again today to see what's up now. This is our first trip with Oceania, and if arrival of the ship is now 8:00am it will be just another thing that hasn't worked quite right so far with this line. We are hoping the cruise itself will wow us. Thanks for everyone's input..and for the wishes of 'good luck'!!

Thank you for the 'heads up' about the possible change in arrival time. My official documents printed from Oceania site when I completed checkin, etc. state 6:00am arrival and believe they asked for our flight times - would have been nice to get info from them about the change. As I said, I had called Oceania and a rep there had confirmed for me, prior to booking the flights, that my 7:00am transport would be A-ok as we could disembark approx. 6:45am if we were walking off but also even if we were taking their transport since the cutoff time for flights was 11am (ours is 11:20am). I will call again today to see what's up now. This is our first trip with Oceania, and if arrival of the ship is now 8:00am it will be just another thing that hasn't worked quite right so far with this line. We are hoping the cruise itself will wow us. Thanks for everyone's input..and for the wishes of 'good luck'!!

sometimes the website is not always right

If you confirm with Oceania that you arrive earlier then you have to sort of believe them

The ships do arrive early sometimes & i think now they are building in a buffer time

Our cruise had 8 am arrival in Miami but we were docked much earlier

When you get the disembarkation form a few days before the end of the cruise then you can check the times they have for disembarkation & choose the one that will work for you

Not sure what our official docking time was this past Tuesday (Nautica at Chivitavechia) but we were tied up at 5:30 am. The cab ride was about an hour to our hotel, near the airport.

It did take quite awhile to clear through all of the security stations on Wednesday. We flew out on Delta, so the terminal might make a difference. Was also glad to have 2 hours at JFK as it took a full hour to get through customs and to my departure gate.

I called Oceania and was told the actual arrival time is 6 am and even if we are nut picked up until 8 we should be fine. They reiterated that their recommendation for the earliest flight out of Rome is 11 am. I think I'll switch my pick up time to 7:30 just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I called Oceania and was told the actual arrival time is 6 am and even if we are nut picked up until 8 we should be fine. They reiterated that their recommendation for the earliest flight out of Rome is 11 am. I think I'll switch my pick up time to 7:30 just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Was glad to read your post that confirmed what Oceania told me - that 7am pickup would be fine since we will probably be able to get off ship by 6:45am. 7am might seem a bit early for our ride to pick us up - but will feel better getting to the airport with lots of time built in. Now am not going to think about it - can't do much more! Just will enjoy the cruise!

Was glad to read your post that confirmed what Oceania told me - that 7am pickup would be fine since we will probably be able to get off ship by 6:45am. 7am might seem a bit early for our ride to pick us up - but will feel better getting to the airport with lots of time built in. Now am not going to think about it - can't do much more! Just will enjoy the cruise!

Great...I think you'll be fine!

Is traffic any lighter on Sunday mornings? I'm thinking since it's not a work day and most people will be at church? [emoji13]

If we're walking off before 8, on a Sunday, is 8 still pushing it for pickup to FCO for an 11:15 am flight?

Is traffic any lighter on Sunday mornings? I'm thinking since it's not a work day and most people will be at church? [emoji13]

If we're walking off before 8, on a Sunday, is 8 still pushing it for pickup to FCO for an 11:15 am flight?

Disembarked in Civitavecchia last year on a Sunday and traffic was very light going to Rome. Should be about the same for the airport.

Terri

Since they are flying Business class, they should be fine. There are expedited lines at the airport.

Edited by dasi11

Just came in last Sunday. We had a 11:55 flight. Disembarked and meet the driver at 8 and made it in plenty of time. Not much traffic. Although the airport was pretty busy we still got through with enough time to have a meal.

OK You all were freaking me out, so I called our airline (American) and asked them, what is the outside time we can arrive? They said they "recommend" two hours before, but in reality as long as we're at the gate one hour before, we are ok. We have an 8 am pickup at the port for a 11:15 am flight on a Sunday morning. I was asking, if we got to the airport, but didn't make it through security and all until like 9:30, would we be kicked off our flight? And she said no, they recommend two hours, but as long as we're at the gate at 10:15 we're good. So phew, that is a huge load off!!!

OK You all were freaking me out, so I called our airline (American) and asked them, what is the outside time we can arrive? They said they "recommend" two hours before, but in reality as long as we're at the gate one hour before, we are ok. We have an 8 am pickup at the port for a 11:15 am flight on a Sunday morning. I was asking, if we got to the airport, but didn't make it through security and all until like 9:30, would we be kicked off our flight? And she said no, they recommend two hours, but as long as we're at the gate at 10:15 we're good. So phew, that is a huge load off!!!

And what will you do if you can't get off of the ship until 9:30?

Will the CSR at American spring for your flight change fee's?

I divide people who run this ridiculous race with the clock into two groups, those who have been delayed by Customs and those who never have.

It's all fun and games until you are sitting amidst your luggage with the cab waiting outside while they endlessly page some passenger who never showed up to passport control.

We're not trying to scare you, but the REALITY is that until the ship is cleared no one moves an inch. If everything works fine you're golden, but it's insanity to schedule your flights assuming that everything will be perfect.

And what will you do if you can't get off of the ship until 9:30?

Will the CSR at American spring for your flight change fee's?

I divide people who run this ridiculous race with the clock into two groups, those who have been delayed by Customs and those who never have.

It's all fun and games until you are sitting amidst your luggage with the cab waiting outside while they endlessly page some passenger who never showed up to passport control.

We're not trying to scare you, but the REALITY is that until the ship is cleared no one moves an inch. If everything works fine you're golden, but it's insanity to schedule your flights assuming that everything will be perfect.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Everyone should heed this advice. Could save much stress.

First of all, I didn't schedule it that close. American switched my flight, or cancelled the one I booked, and substituted the earlier time.

To help me understand, how does Customs work? Do we go through customs when we arrive in port, like you do when a Caribbean cruise gets in to Fort Lauderdale? Or do we go through at the airport and if so, in Rome or where we're flying into? And if my final destination is Fort Lauderdale but I'm flying into another city first do we do customs there?

This is our first international trip so I don't know how it works.

Edited by cruisegal415

When we arrived in Rome a few weeks ago, we walked off the ship and did not have to show our passports at all at the port. Gathered our luggage and grabbed a cab. Our ship was in port at 5:30 a.m. and I watched people disembarking as early as 7.

At the airport in Rome, you will first stand in line to answer the security questions - did you pack your bag, did anyone unknown give you anything to carry... then you will stand in line to check in for your flight and hand in your checked luggage. Then, if you are flying from Terminal 5 (I flew Delta), you will get on a bus to go to a different part of the terminal for your gates. Then stand in line at the gate to get on your plane.

When you arrive in the US you will go through Customs and Immigration at the first airport you arrive in regardless of your destination. Then you will collect your luggage and walk past more ICE officers (US Customs) hand in your declaration receipt, and then look for where to recheck your luggage to your final destination.

I hope you have a great trip!

Cheers, K