Oceania seems overpriced

doublebzz

Some of us actually make friends on CC after discussing pro and cons of each cruise line, without ever meeting in person.

I was happy to see a friend of mine from AZ coming over to O and I am sure she was happy to see me going on an AZ cruise.

As a regular O cruiser, I hope I help her and vice versa.

Absolutely agree! We will be sailing with a lot of CC'ers on our November sailing. Although we have never met, we have over 14,000 posts on Roll Call (and not one argument) and we are looking forward to meeting each and every one of them.

Edited by Travelcat2

I didn't read the whole thread, so maybe someone has mentioned this already. If not, though, one thing people don't think about is how many ports you generally go to on an Oceania cruise compared to other cruise lines. If you like to visit lots of places as I do, you're willing to pay a little more. However, if you enjoy sea days as much as port days, paying more is probably a waste of money.

Some cruise lines count embarkation day and disembarkation day as two days; Oceania counts them as one. In comparing cruise prices, I make sure I'm counting those days the same way.

I used to think I could be happy on a cheaper cruise line, but I tried, and after two attempts I decided it just wasn't going to work. Yes, Oceania is a little more expensive than the bigger cruise lines like Celebrity, but things like number of passengers and fabulous, port-intensive, ever-changing itineraries keep bringing me back. I also like the passenger mix - older and dignified but not stuffy. And yes, I like the service and food, especially little things like being served my food from the buffet in the Terrace (more hygienic that way).

We are about to embark on an 18 day South Pacific itinerary on the Insignia, and we have upgraded to a veranda suite. We are paying roughly the same as we did for an outside view cabin on a 15 day similar itinerary with Holland Amercia. With Holland America, there was no airfare, and we were in a substantially lower level of cabin for the trip.

Without having sailed on the Insignia yet, I find it hard to compare, but strictly from the price perspective, I would say that we have wonderful value on Oceania so far.

The R Ships of Oceania offer so much: the perfect size, no running screaming kids, the best food, fun traveled passengers and interesting ports. I have sailed on Insignia and Nautica and will leave from Athens on Sirena next week.

You will have a great cruise on Insignia. From : sanmyn@yahoo.com

Thank you Glenndale.

One of your comments is music to my ears - the comfortable beds you mention on O. I have found the beds on Azamara to be very hard and generally ask for two 'egg crates'. However might not have to do this in the future as I believe all the beds have been replaced in the recent refurbishment.

Interested that as an Az cruiser you think that O has the edge. Looking forward to judging for myself in a few months.

I wanted to second the comment on the beds. I have chronic disc disease and after many previous cruises I had to recover from back issues after the cruise. Our recent Marina cruise and after was free from back issues. This alone is the main discriminator for me.

Maybe I've been lucky but I find the beds on both these cruise lines to be ultra comfortable. I was on a long cruise on Azamara Quest in a Deck 6 outside cabin and always had a marvelous sleep. Recently I had a similar cabin on the Oceania Nautica with a bed giving me total comfort.

Next week I board the Oceania Sirena in Greece and am looking forward to an equally delightful divine sleep.

I always enjoy my trips on these perfect size R Ships.

Sanmyn@yahoo.com

I was five times with Seabourn and last year the first time on the Oceania Marina. We had a PH and it was nice. I think that Oceania is 1 star (because of the food quality and choice) lower than Seabourn. This year we booked two cruises - one with Seabourn and one with Oceania.

Seabourn:

- nearly all inclusive

- Standard suite is about 34 m2 (including veranda)

- Tips are included in the cruise fare

- Fully stocked mini bar

- small ship (odyssey)

- Deck BBQ and Marina Day

- two specialty restaurants

- price: € 2.375,-- p.p. for 7 nights (Venice to Athens in June)

- No onboard credit

- € 340,-- per night

Oceania:

- no all inclusive - just alcohol-free drinks are included

- Penthouse suite is about 39 m2 (including veranda)

- Tips are not included in the cruise fare (about $ 20,-- p.p.)

- medium ship (Marina)

- No deck BBQ and Marina Day

- 4 specialty restaurants

- price € 2.590,-- p.p. for 8 nights (Rome to Venice)

- $ 800,-- onboard-credit for tips and drinks

- € 323,-- per night

If you compare, you will see that it is nearly the same price per night! If the tips and drinks are not more than $ 800,--, so it will be equal in terms of price. But service and food is 1 star better on seabourn! So either the Oceania cruise is too expensive or the seabourn cruise is really a bargain!

Best wishes

Stefan

I was five times with Seabourn and last year the first time on the Oceania Marina. We had a PH and it was nice. I think that Oceania is 1 star (because of the food quality and choice) lower than Seabourn. This year we booked two cruises - one with Seabourn and one with Oceania.

Seabourn:

- nearly all inclusive

- Standard suite is about 34 m2 (including veranda)

- Tips are included in the cruise fare

- Fully stocked mini bar

- small ship (odyssey)

- Deck BBQ and Marina Day

- two specialty restaurants

- price: € 2.375,-- p.p. for 7 nights (Venice to Athens in June)

- No onboard credit

- € 340,-- per night

Oceania:

- no all inclusive - just alcohol-free drinks are included

- Penthouse suite is about 39 m2 (including veranda)

- Tips are not included in the cruise fare (about $ 20,-- p.p.)

- medium ship (Marina)

- No deck BBQ and Marina Day

- 4 specialty restaurants

- price € 2.590,-- p.p. for 8 nights (Rome to Venice)

- $ 800,-- onboard-credit for tips and drinks

- € 323,-- per night

If you compare, you will see that it is nearly the same price per night! If the tips and drinks are not more than $ 800,--, so it will be equal in terms of price. But service and food is 1 star better on seabourn! So either the Oceania cruise is too expensive or the seabourn cruise is really a bargain!

Best wishes

Stefan

I also found that Oceania was comparable, price wise, with luxury lines, specifically Regent, when I was looking at Baltic cruises. BUT ...... Not everyone wants to sail in a suite, have all inclusive drinks and use the ship's excursions and this is where the a la carte nature of Oceania comes into it's own. With the luxury lines there's no choice - though as I write this I'm thinking what a first world problem this is, having to have a suite and included drinks and excursions.

We drink, but lightly, and I don't usually start until the cocktail hour. Apart from a single cocktail, I don't drink spirits, so PAYG on the wine with dinner suits us fine. I haven't done any ship's tours but in comparing notes they seem to take longer getting on and off coaches due to larger numbers and sometimes bigger groups can't get easy access to places private guides can visit.

We didn't plan to cruise this year. We've already taken a land based tour, but I felt we could do with a summer holiday :). We'd gradually been working our way up the decks and had gotten as far as concierge last year. This time we've dropped down 4 decks and hope the porthole will remind us of our Windstar cruises :D. It's port intensive so we won't be spending much time in our cabin.

I looked seriously at other lines because the entertainment on O continues to disappoint but I wanted to avoid child based ships - we always chose child friendly holidays when ours were little - I know all the words to Agadoo - but been there, done that, and want to give my ears a rest. I wanted good quality food, predominantly waiter service. I wanted to sail for longer than a week. I wanted to stick to a budget.

Guess where we ended up? I live in hope on the entertainment front but itinerary wise there was no contest. OH found several other cruises that seemed much cheaper till I pointed out we were sailing for 14 days rather than 9, or we had 1 sea day rather than 5.

I was tempted by Regent, but I'd have been paying a lot more for things I didn't need, and by economising on the cabin I've saved enough to have a winter week in the Canaries. That's a whole extra holiday.

I love the way O Life lets you choose which benefit you want. Our OBC will pay for gratuities and some drinks. BTW I know some early bookers had all of them. We've gained on a price drop so swings and roundabouts.

Stefan,

I respect your opinion because - well, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

A few points in reply to your post:

1 Price is not the same as you are paying LESS/day for a larger suite for a cruise that is 1 day longer.

2 4 specialties beats 2 specialties any day in my book

3 I think the food is better on Oceania (obviously, this is a subjective criteria - just like you prefer Seabourn)

4 For those of us that do not drink, all inclusive is no big deal and thus the $800 OBC can be used for other things

5 Tips are always included for me (sometimes 3 times - TA, Platinum status and Oceania promo)

6 Lobster available in several restaurants every day (a personal plus :))

7 PH - which is the category you are comparing - can dine ensuite from any of the 4 specialty restaurants every night, if desired.

Just a different point of view :).

That said, we are doing Seabourn again next year

Seabourn or Oceania - how can you go wrong with either one? :D

Edited by Paulchili

Stefan,

I respect your opinion because - well, it is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

A few points in reply to your post:

1 Price is not the same as you are paying LESS/day for a larger suite for a cruise that is 1 day longer.

2 4 specialties beats 2 specialties any day in my book

3 I think the food is better on Oceania (obviously, this is a subjective criteria - just like you prefer Seabourn)

4 For those of us that do not drink, all inclusive is no big deal and thus the $800 OBC can be used for other things

5 Tips are always included for me (sometimes 3 times - TA, Platinum status and Oceania promo)

6 Lobster available in several restaurants every day (a personal plus :))

7 PH - which is the category you are comparing - can dine ensuite from any of the 4 specialty restaurants every night, if desired.

Just a different point of view :).

That said, we are doing Seabourn again next year

Seabourn or Oceania - how can you go wrong with either one? :D

Thanks for your reply! My favorite is Seabourn. Second is Oceania or Crystal. Unfortunaltely balcony cabins on the two ship are very small - and the Penthouse suites are very expensive. Third would be Azamara. But the price for a suite on an Azamara ship is often more than on a Seabourn Ship.

Next year I will try the new Regent Explorer!

I am a nonsmoker! And havn´t had any problem on my last five cruises with smoking passengers!

You must be very lucky because I've read lengthy threads on the Seabourn board where passengers complain about the smell of smoke from adjoining balconies and the half of one lounge that permits smoking. It should be noted that on the Riviera, the smoking area is entirely enclosed but is adjacent to a lounge. IMO, this is a better way to go. And, smoking on balconies should be against the law due to the fire hazard.

Comparing Oceania with luxury cruise ships is difficult. While I can only compare Oceania to Silversea and Regent, on Oceania you can get a small stateroom for a fraction of the cost of a PH. If you look at the smaller suites, Oceania is not at all expensive. You could not book a cruise on any luxury line for the fare that you pay on Oceania.

IMO, if the lower category suites on Oceania are too expensive, I think a person should try mainstream or premium cruise line. Just my opinion.

...My favorite is Seabourn. Second is Oceania or Crystal. Unfortunaltely balcony cabins on the two ship are very small - and the Penthouse suites are very expensive. Third would be Azamara. But the price for a suite on an Azamara ship is often more than on a Seabourn Ship. Next year I will try the new Regent Explorer!
Seabourn is also our favorite with Oceania slightly behind. We're doing a test run on Crystal very soon to see if they're a good fit but it will be tough to top Seabourn for us. Azamara is further down our list and we didn't enjoy our Regent cruise. We only tried them once and felt it was all inclusive but not luxury.

You can play these pricing game to the end -- and re-title this Seabourn is getting more expensive:

Take a summer Baltic cruise in 2017 on Quest and Marina. Standard Veranda on Quest and PH on Marina:

Quest $892 pp per day for a 7 day

Marina $ 666 pp per day for a 12 day (without air) - plus same saga with OBC of $800 in the Olife promo.

However -- this New Years we are on a 7 day Crystal for under $300 pp per day -- much cheaper than Seabourn or O with $500 in OBC plus.

So bargains and comparisons do exist and lines change prices based on how well they are selling and external circumstances (like changing ports form Istanbul to Athens)

Edited by PaulMCO

One HUGE plus for Oceania as compared to Seabourn....their smoking policy. Seabourn's is atrocious.

Yes- smoking is so gross and a liberal policy is a deal breaker for me.

BTW, does Seabourne include airfare or air credit. That is a "chunk of change" for many destinations.

One HUGE plus for Oceania as compared to Seabourn....their smoking policy. Seabourn's is atrocious.

I've never talked to anyone who mentioned sailing on Seabourne. Didn't know they had a liberal smoking policy which for me would be a deal breaker. Smoking on cruise ships is repulsive.

Flatbush Flyer - Seabourn does not include airfare nor do their include port fees and taxes.

sammiedawg - Smoking is permitted on balconies and, from what I have read, half of one lounge.

Note: Have not sailed Seabourn due to their smoking policy but also would not sail Seabourn because we would have to pay for airfare.

Have heard great things about Seabourn but it isn't the right cruise line for us.

You are all looking up the scale when considering value or price.

Just for grins, I took a cruise price 16 day, from Miami to Spain on a "mass market" line Ship was 4500 passenger, price was only $1299.00 for an inside and $1399 for an ocean view Both cabins 145 sq ft.

I took the $1299 price and whoa found they have 10 types of insides, all the same size but different locations

I picked a Mid ship and bingo it was now $2499.00......

But wait... add port, taxes, gratuities... and how much you want to buy in onboard credit)

Dont forget air fare, , and a soda card, a specialty dining package, ( all things included on O )and we are pushing $8900. pp for a 145 sq ft inside called now... an "executive inside suite" ( I love the names they use to pander to the ego)

It is amusing to see how the nickels and dimes of a mass market line overcome the traveler shopping for the great price... and what it can end up as......

Just for grins, I took a cruise price 16 day, from Miami to Spain on a "mass market" line Ship was 4500 passenger, price was only $1299.00 for an inside and $1399 for an ocean view Both cabins 145 sq ft.

I took the $1299 price and whoa found they have 10 types of insides, all the same size but different locations

But wait... add port, taxes, gratuities... and how much you want to buy in onboard credit)

Dont forget air fare, , and a soda card, a specialty dining package, ( all things included on O )and we are pushing $8900. pp for a 145 sq ft inside called now... an "executive inside suite" ( I love the names they use to pander to the ego)

It is amusing to see how the nickels and dimes of a mass market line overcome the traveler shopping for the great price... and what it can end up as......

145 square foot cabin is an "executive inside suite"???? Wow.

Dan,

Don't doubt all the extra cost items you mentioned on the mass market ship but, think you must have inserted a typo when the price went from $2499 to almost $8900 to include the extras. That's an additional $6400 or 2 1/2 times the base fare???? Can't believe the increase even if you are including business air fare. By the way, what would the cost be for the comparable O fare?? Realize there are other differences but, you concentrated on fare and extras.

For this to have any bearing at all, we'll need a breakdown of that monster add on you included.

I totally "get" Hawaiidan's pricing. Just adding on airfare, drinks (they even pay for water on mainstream cruise lines), the charge to dine in specialty restaurants (many "free" restaurants are rubbish) and other incidentals would easily be 2 1/2 times the cost of the cruise.

Not sure why anyone that can afford Oceania would sail on a mainstream or premium cruise line. If you have yet to sail on Oceania, you might not "get it".