Oceania contacts

rgaudet

Hi everyone

My wife and I booked a cruise this summer on Marina and will join my parents on board. My parents are both turning 80 this year and my mother turns 80 on this cruise. My parents do not know we have booked the same cruise...we are going to surprise them!!

As we've been debating the best way to surprise them, I'm thinking that if we could work with Oceania we could do something really fun. Maybe have the cruise director go get them and bring them to one of the bars where we are waiting. Or maybe we could be there welcoming them on board...all while Oceania films it. I think it would be great social media stuff.

Just wondering how to get in touch with the right people in Oceania to discuss it. I know if I call their 1-800 number I won't get far. Any suggestions?

Thanks ,

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone

My wife and I booked a cruise this summer on Marina and will join my parents on board. My parents are both turning 80 this year and my mother turns 80 on this cruise. My parents do not know we have booked the same cruise...we are going to surprise them!!

As we've been debating the best way to surprise them, I'm thinking that if we could work with Oceania we could do something really fun. Maybe have the cruise director go get them and bring them to one of the bars where we are waiting. Or maybe we could be there welcoming them on board...all while Oceania films it. I think it would be great social media stuff.

Just wondering how to get in touch with the right people in Oceania to discuss it. I know if I call their 1-800 number I won't get far. Any suggestions?

Thanks ,

Rob

Having celebrated both of Stans parents 80th birthdays on Oceania ships ( I plan everything, my own parents having long since gone to their rewards), I want to warn you that Surprise ANYTHING is probably not the way to go with people of that age.

Even charming gregarious people get tired and cranky after what is (for them) a long, unusually stressful morning spent getting to the port and checking onto the ship.

Strangers inviting them to a mysterious gathering might meet with resistance, and a camera documenting everything could be.....awkward.....if one or both of them isn't receptive...or worse, just ready to pop off for a nap. .

Filming your meeting is a brilliant idea.....filming it in public.....maybe not so much......and I can send YOU film to prove that ;)

Edited by StanandJim

How about walking up to them while they are sitting down at a table in Terrace (after boarding) and asking them if you can share the table?

Timing could be tricky, I agree, but you could be in cahoots with the wait staff to pull it off.

Mura

(Then again, you don't want to give them heart attacks either!)

Edited by Mura

Book Privée for the first or second night ($250) and have an invitation sent to them. Second night would work better for reasons cited above and if you can stay hidden from them for the first 30 hours of your cruise. Have them write something like "The Captain has requested your presence at a special dinner in honor of your 80th birthdays this year...". Get there a half hour early and when they walk in, surprise. Or you could arrive early, wait right outside the Polo door side of Privée (you arrive through the Toscana side) and then after they're seated, come walking in. That way you don't have to worry about anyone fainting, etc.

He was about 80 at that time. Honestly, he turned white and his wife had to hold him up. He almost had a cardiac event. I would not suggest you do this to them. Maybe if you tell them at the last minute that will be just as exciting.

My friend, after he recovered, said he thought he was seeing ghosts.

My parents are in great shape and up for a mild surprise! Still wondering if anyone knows the best way to contact Oceania ... Maybe the marketing team or those who organize events of each ship ?

Rob

We just booked a cruise that some friends of ours are sailing on and at first we were going to surprise them (we live in Arizona and they live in England so we don't see each other very often). Then we realized that we wouldn't be able to enjoy the specialty restaurants or excursions together! We decided to surprise them via email in advance -- they were just as thrilled as we had hoped and now we have our plans all sorted out to be able to enjoy more activities together.

You would still be able to film your surprise if you did it in advance. I hope your parents enjoy their birthdays and that you all have a wonderful cruise!

Billie

I would call the O customer service number, and ask for the concierge team to see if they can help set something up, otherwise, wait until you are onboard and ask the onboard Concierge. They may at least be able to reserve a table if nothing else...We did the exact same thing with my parents years ago, for their 50th anniversary on another cruise, we sat down next to them at dinner, and they about fell off their chairs! They had an awesome time telling that story for years after that! And the pictures...well they spoke for themselves!!! Good luck with your cruise!

Hi everyone

Thanks ,

Rob

Nothing personal but, the last thing Oceania needs on social media is video suggesting the line caters to a specific age group, which might reinforce a misconception that O is one of the "oldsters only" cruise lines.

If I remember correctly, there is a spot on the Oceania website where you can get the contact info for special requests. If it's not there, ask your TA to get you a connection.

Nothing personal but, the last thing Oceania needs on social media is video suggesting the line caters to a specific age group, which might reinforce a misconception that O is one of the "oldsters only" cruise lines.

If I remember correctly, there is a spot on the Oceania website where you can get the contact info for special requests. If it's not there, ask your TA to get you a connection.

Well I thought that they may be interested in showing they cater to families, reunions or get togethers. Using Oceania to celebrate major events would be valuable to any marketing team. My parents as well as my wife and I are active, fit and love travel. Surely you aren't saying we aren't the type of people they are trying to attract??

Rob

My parents are in great shape and up for a mild surprise! Still wondering if anyone knows the best way to contact Oceania ... Maybe the marketing team or those who organize events of each ship ?

Rob

You can email to ressupervisors@oceaniacruises.com or SpecialServices@oceaniacruises.com and see if they can help you. These are the email addresses I received to set up my M&G.

Edited by phillygirl63

I think a better idea would be to surprise them at a going away event beforehand. That way you could help with the boarding and travel and enjoy the cruise from moment 1.

Regarding the filming, don't think Oceania would be particularly interested in using video of your family event. If you have looked at their materials, they are quite professional with actors depicting a variety of well chosen demographics. Nothing left to chance.

Having celebrated both of Stans parents 80th birthdays on Oceania ships ( I plan everything, my own parents having long since gone to their rewards), I want to warn you that Surprise ANYTHING is probably not the way to go with people of that age.

Even charming gregarious people get tired and cranky after what is (for them) a long, unusually stressful morning spent getting to the port and checking onto the ship.

Strangers inviting them to a mysterious gathering might meet with resistance, and a camera documenting everything could be.....awkward.....if one or both of them isn't receptive...or worse, just ready to pop off for a nap. .

Filming your meeting is a brilliant idea.....filming it in public.....maybe not so much......and I can send YOU film to prove that ;)

I agree with you that this sort of "surprise" might backfire. It seems to me that surprising them before you embark would be much more rewarding in the sense they might feel so much more comforted knowing in advance that their family was joining them on the cruise. Of course, you know your folks a lot better than I do.