Oceania seems overpriced

doublebzz

I was looking at an 14 day Oceania cruise in Europe because of its splendid itinerary and was completely shocked by the prices. Lowest cabin cost was about $400 pp per day. This is even higher than the all-inclusive, luxury brands such as Seaborne and Crystal. I know it includes some amenities like transoceanic air but still is above my budget. Is it possible to strip these add-on's out of the fare and just book a "no frills" cruise? I haven't discussed this with my TA yet wanting to get members' comments first.

I was looking at an 14 day Oceania cruise in Europe because of its splendid itinerary and was completely shocked by the prices. Lowest cabin cost was about $400 pp per day. This is even higher than the all-inclusive, luxury brands such as Seaborne and Crystal. I know it includes some amenities like transoceanic air but still is above my budget. Is it possible to strip these add-on's out of the fare and just book a "no frills" cruise? I haven't discussed this with my TA yet wanting to get members' comments first.

Speak to your TA. I have just booked 2 Oceania cruises, one for 2016 and one 2017 for as good a price as Celebrity Cruises!

I agree that they do seem overpriced but if you are thinking of this summer or fall, check around different sites. There have been some really good special pricing deals offered. I have checked and called my TA to have her match one of the deals. I have the added problem of being Canadian:D

Keep in mind that the perks and OBC can be fairly generous too which can offset some of the total cost. Sometimes you can get the air travel for cheaper than the credit offered.

Hope you find a good deal. Oceania is my favourite cruiseline.

Other than air fare which you've mentioned, what do you consider to be a frill?

It's interesting how people perceive different cruise lines and their offerings. I'm not the least bit interested in taking an excursion with a group that can approach 40 persons. As far as I'm concerned I won't sail on an all-inclusive cruise because I'd be wasting money paying for included tours when I intend to book private excursions.

Formal nights? Been there. Done that. Crystal alternates between Crystal Casual and Black Tie Optional. If the Crystal restaurants are able to withstand the presence open collar shirts/Polo collar shirts and pants some nights, why ban guests wearing exactly those same garments from the same restaurant (excluding Taste) other nights? Seabourn ditto for The Restaurant on Formal Night.

Oceania offers me the things that matter to me: ship size, itinerary, food quality, no included tours, and a smart but casual dress code. If I spend less booking Crystal or Seabourn but hate the formal nights and double pay when I arrange independent excursions, how do I benefit?

We just booked for Fall 2017. We got a $950 pp credit for dropping their air but even so, it's about the same price for an inside on Oceania as a balcony with Celebrity. I get free specialty dining on Oceania and free non-alcoholic drinks, other than that the perks would have been about the same, drink packages offered on both but Celebrity offered the better package and a cheaper upgrade offer. Oceania's tips are higher, it all adds up. If it weren't for the great itinerary we would not have booked Oceania and to be honest it's a tough pill to swallow moving down to an inside but it's a monster jump (over $4,200 Canadian) to a balcony. Sometimes itinerary just wins

I'm not saying Azamara is luxury but I'd say she's on par with Oceania but they include drinks, not just a package of wine with dinner. Almost identical route from either London or Amsterdam to Lisbon next September Azamara is $1,000 pp cheaper for a balcony. Both 12 day cruises. Azamara does have more overnights so you do get more ports with Oceania but I guess it depends on your priorities which you prefer.

We just booked for Fall 2017. We got a $950 pp credit for dropping their air but even so, it's about the same price for an inside on Oceania as a balcony with Celebrity. I get free specialty dining on Oceania and free non-alcoholic drinks, other than that the perks would have been about the same, drink packages offered on both but Celebrity offered the better package and a cheaper upgrade offer. Oceania's tips are higher, it all adds up. If it weren't for the great itinerary we would not have booked Oceania and to be honest it's a tough pill to swallow moving down to an inside but it's a monster jump (over $4,200 Canadian) to a balcony. Sometimes itinerary just wins

Thanks for answering my question rather than looking for a confrontational discussion regarding the merits of various cruise lines like the previous responder. Couldn't agree more that sometimes itinerary trumps cabin choice particularly on a port intensive, Northern European cruise.

Thanks for answering my question rather than looking for a confrontational discussion regarding the merits of various cruise lines like the previous responder. Couldn't agree more that sometimes itinerary trumps cabin choice particularly on a port intensive, Northern European cruise.

Sometimes, if a cruise itinerary is not selling well, you may be offered an upsell through your TA to a higher cabin at a reasonable price shortly before sailing. The way I look at it, if an upsell offer doesn't happen, it means I booked a high demand cruise at a fair price. But always, start by booking a cabin you can be happy in, taking the itinerary into account, because upsells don't always happen.

I'm not saying Azamara is luxury but I'd say she's on par with Oceania but they include drinks, not just a package of wine with dinner. Almost identical route from either London or Amsterdam to Lisbon next September Azamara is $1,000 pp cheaper for a balcony. Both 12 day cruises. Azamara does have more overnights so you do get more ports with Oceania but I guess it depends on your priorities which you prefer.

We have sailed on Azamara a number of times and like it very much. Like Celebrity too. Upcoming is our first Oceania cruise....know we paid far too much for it...price dropped substantially several times since we did our final payment. Booking too far ahead with them doesn't pay it seems. We will be interested to see how it compares to Azamara. We liked having drinks/wine inclusive on Azamara. On Oceania, on top of high base price, must purchase a drink package if you want similar experience. We also experienced the very friendly officer staff on board Azamara ships....and the 'welcoming on board' they provide even returning after a day ashore. We are hoping to have a good experience on Oceania. Might be a 'one of'!

You seem to have forgotten the O included air fare (or credit), which is not an Azamara perk. And then there's the food ...

If there is availability in your cabin category, Oceania will honor any price drops up to the day of sailing....at least that is what the ambassador told us when we booked a cruise while on Regatta last week. Check or have your TA check; you may get a refund or an on board credit. We have benefited from price drops in the past.

If there is availability in your cabin category, Oceania will honor any price drops up to the day of sailing....at least that is what the ambassador told us when we booked a cruise while on Regatta last week. Check or have your TA check; you may get a refund or an on board credit. We have benefited from price drops in the past.

Usually, that is only true if you book onboard in our experience. After final payment, you may get a bit of onboard credit otherwise, if booked through TA.

Usually, that is only true if you book onboard in our experience. After final payment, you may get a bit of onboard credit otherwise, if booked through TA.

We got upgraded no charge plus an additional onboard credit when the price dropped. The only difference was that our first room steward was phenomenal, and the second room steward was not. Luck of the draw. We know now on the smaller ships that we will not book concierge again. Not worth it to us.

Prices online dont always match the number you get when calling

In addition to the air credit, check your bill to see if they also included Oceania's Travel Insurance. They tried to include the insurance on both my O cruises, and unless you don't specifically tell them NOT to include the insurance, you're charged. The insurance can add a bit to your final cost.

Having sailed my first Oceania cruise in March, I found many things on board to be much higher priced than other cruise lines: tips, drinks etc. With a drink package and penthouse tips, I just didn't feel the value was there on Oceania. I found for the price the true luxury lines offered a better overall value.

You seem to have forgotten the O included air fare (or credit), which is not an Azamara perk. And then there's the food ...

As you said recently:

So, as I expected, you really have no recent O experience.

When did you experience the Azamara food? Just askin'...

We have sailed on Azamara a number of times and like it very much. Like Celebrity too. Upcoming is our first Oceania cruise....know we paid far too much for it...price dropped substantially several times since we did our final payment. Booking too far ahead with them doesn't pay it seems. We will be interested to see how it compares to Azamara. We liked having drinks/wine inclusive on Azamara. On Oceania, on top of high base price, must purchase a drink package if you want similar experience. We also experienced the very friendly officer staff on board Azamara ships....and the 'welcoming on board' they provide even returning after a day ashore. We are hoping to have a good experience on Oceania. Might be a 'one of'!

I too have recently booked my first Oceania cruise after many wonderful cruises with Azamara.

Our deal was good and our itinerary is stunning and I am looking forward to the cruise very much. While I am going with an open mind am finding some comments on this board a little off putting. Like you am hoping the experience won't be a one off

I too have recently booked my first Oceania cruise after many wonderful cruises with Azamara.

Our deal was good and our itinerary is stunning and I am looking forward to the cruise very much. While I am going with an open mind am finding some comments on this board a little off putting. Like you am hoping the experience won't be a one off

I think a big difference you'll find on Oceania vs Azamara is in the officers and crew. Very visible and social officers on Azamara (and Celebrity), leading to pretty happy and warm staff. You couldn't find an officer on the Riviera, and overall the whole ship didn't feel very "happy". Also, be prepared for the drink prices, on Azamara they are included, on Oceania, some of the highest i've seen at sea ($12-ish for a drink). Beautiful ship and great food, but I'm not running back any time soon

An open mind is all you need.

Why not decide for yourself what you think of Oceania rather than depend on others' opinions

Everyone values different things and values the same thing differently - only you can decide for yourself whether you like something or not.

I hope you'll have an enjoyable cruise. :)