Ira Digs the Big Ditch - Live From Regatta 04/24

I_r_a

Hi All,

My Lady Wife and I shall be setting off for foreign lands on Sunday, 04/24.

We fly to Miami, which I am told is owned by Cuba.

We then board The Regatta for a sail to the Conch Republic, where we are scheduled to meet with the Head Parrot and other Parrot Heads.

We touch down in Cartagena, CO before reaching the Panama canal. It will be interesting to compare the lochs there to those in Scotland.

Other stops in foreign lands are Puntarenas, CR; San Juan del Sur, NI; Puerto Quetzal, GU; Acapulco, MX; Cabo San Lucas, MX and San Francisco, CA.

It pays to have a good TA, because I didn't know we would need visas for San Francisco. She got them for only $100 ea. Much cheaper than the ones we had to get for Brazil.

I shall try to keep a daily log of sights and sounds and post here with pix.

Adios,

Ira

April 25

Hi All.

It’s 07:00, and I am in the coffee bar (Barista’s) of The Regatta, having a real latte while tied up to the pier at the capital city of the Conch Republic – Spanish Key West.

The coffee is quite good. Most of the people coming in ask for “coffee”. The young lady explains that they make café Americano – an espresso that is then filled with water. They then go on to the dining room for a proper coffee.

Nibbles to go with morning coffee are mini croissant, baked things called “pain au raisin” and “pain chocolate”, which I think are French, crunchy cookies (biscotti) and “madeleines”.

For some reason, these madeleines brought back a flood of memories from my childhood.

Yesterday morning at this time, we were picked up and taken to the Atlanta airport (dropped off at 08:15), baggage loaded at 08:20, arrived at security 08:30, walked and walked and walked through the corral, although there were only six of us we had to travel the entire route, to baggage check and then on to the gate, which was all the way at the other end.

Without any hassles we were at the gate at 09:20.

We arrived in Miami, Cuba a few minutes early, but then waited until they had opened a place for us. Airports over the world are much alike, I’m told, and MIA wasn’t that different from ATL except that the souvenirs said “Miami” instead of “Atlanta”, and there was a spicier smell to the area.

Signs were in both Spanish and English.

We picked up our luggage and walked right past Customs to the taxi stand.

The flat rate to the cruise ship dock is the equivalent of $27 US by credit card. However, if you pay in USD cash you get a 10% discount. I guess they need dollars for foreign exchange.

Signing in and boarding went very quickly. By 1:30 we were comfortably seated at the Waves Bar.

More to come.

Ira

PS: I go to CC, and try to log in.

Computer refuses my name/password.

I click on “forgot your password?”.

It asks me to enter my address and to answer a random question – “What is the opposite of hot”?

I answer “cold”.

It says “Incorrect”. What?

Here I am, at last.

Hi All,

At 3:00 we were told our rooms (Cabin in nautical talk) were ready. They were. We unpacked, put the suitcases under the bed and dressed for dinner, ie, I put on a blazer.

Deck 5: we stopped at Martinis. The drinks are served in proper-sized glasses (too small for today’s taste), so ask for doubles. These come in fancy cocktail glasses.

All was going well. Comfy seats. Good food. Nice music from a young woman at the piano. Then she decided to sing.

Nothing wrong with her voice. She was overamped. LOUUUUUUUED!!!!

We took our glasses and headed aft.

There was a string quartet playing in the main lounge. Very nice.

Another drink or so, and it was dinner time.

We lined up at the Grand Dining Room (GDR).

The line went quickly, and we were soon seated at a table for two facing the stern, with a view of the “wake”.

(Wake is what sailors call the foamy trail that the boat ship leaves in the water. It is not a funeral gathering.)

The menu has: Healthy Living Choices; Menu Degustation; and the regulfrom ar menu – appetizer, soups, salads, main courses, 3 choices from Jacques Pepin, “A Taste From Jacques”, “A Taste From Red Ginger” (whoever he is) and various “always available” .

Hard not to find something you’ll like.

The Degustation comes with wine pairings. If you get the beverage package, the wine is free.

We wanted to reserve the same table for later in the week, but they don’t take reservations in the GDR.

And so to bed.

Ira

April 25 again:

We docked in Key West, capital city of the conch Republic at about 07:00.

There was some rumbling and vibrating from the bow thrusters, but it wasn’t particularly loud.

Got up and went off in search of some potables and comestibles. While on the way, I heard roosters crowing. Yup, there they were strutting around the main square and crowing to beat the band. I guess that is more or less what one would expect in a “banana republic”.

Breakfast up on the terrace café consisted of various meats, cheeses, fruits, yogurt, breads and pastries There was a lot of other stuff I will save for another day. There is good coffee available from a machine in back. The bagels are not very good.

Roberta had her breakfast from room service. I brought her a banana. I think it is those little romantic touches that keep a marriage together.

Our meeting with the Head Parrot was cancelled, so we took the Hop On, Hop Off bus around town.

The Old Town has lots of old houses and other buildings as well as nearly 200 bars and restos. The New Town has more new houses and buildings and a shopping center or two.

Ernest Hemingway lived here and drank a lot at some bar (the name of which escapes me) which causes many people to come visit his former home.

Tennessee Williams also lived here, but didn’t drink as much so hardly anyone comes to visit his former home.

We bought tropical-style hats from a street vendor. They will take American money, but you get a better exchange rate with credit cards and don’t have to worry about small change in conch shells.

Ship was scheduled to leave at 13:00 (That’s sailor talk for 1:00 PM), so we were on board by 12:30.

Had a few adult beverages.

Took a nap.

Had a few adult beverages.

Ate dinner.

Had a few adult beverages. (On the Premium Beverage Package you break even at 6-7 drinks)

And so to bed.

April 26

Arose late. Breakfast at the coffee bar.

Lunch in the GDR with Fran and Irwin and Maggie and Mary Ann. Very pleasant. Lovely people.

Listened to the string quartet.

Drank a little. Ate a little.

Wife is developing cabin fever. Nothing to see but water. I have been reciting The Ancient Mariner to her, but it doesn’t seem to help.

Drank a little more. Ate a little more.

And so to bed.

Ira

Hey Flor,

Seas have been off the port bow almost constantly.

Last night they ran about 12 ft. The doors to the decks were closed.

HOWEVER, this afternoon

.. a good south wind sprung up behind;

The Albatross did follow,

And every day, for food or play,

Came to the mariner's hollo!

Right now it is sitting atop the foremast opposite our window.

Ira

Hello Again

April 27,

Repeat yesterday except that we had drinks with Joe and Suzy, with whom we shall be sharing some tours.

Wife still has cabin fever. Will not let me recite The Rime of the Ancient Mariner anymore - upon pain of death.

The albatross that landed on the foremast might have contributed to that.

Overheard in the Horizons Lounge:

“If there is any global warning it’s all natural. How many volcanoes and forest fires are there that we never hear about”?

“Yeah. All of those so-called scientists are professors in their ivory towers. What do they know of the real world”.

How can one but agree with such solid logic?

April 28

Up early for a 07:30 tour of Cartagena. Hot and very humid. Our guide did a very good job of explaining the history of the town and showing the few treasures of the city that would interest the casual visitor.

We visited a zoo. Some interesting beasties.

Major industry of Cartagena: Hawking cheap “Panama” hats.

Dinner at the Polo Grill.

We shared a table with two other couples. Pleasant conversation all evening

The Grille has a creative menu: My Waldorf Salad was a disk of diced things that tasted mostly of celery. A grilled pork chop was good. The crème brulée was not even close. My Lady Wife’s oysters Rockefeller were close to what we expected them to be. The “gratinated” lobster turned out to be a steamed 2-lb lobster that had been halved, covered with a green substance and broiled. I had wondered why it was yclept “gratinated” and not “gratineé”; now I knew.

April 29

Arrived at the Panama Canal at 07:00 to join a line of ships slowly making its way toward the Atlantic coast entrance. Cruise ships have priority. So we were soon number 3.

Interesting passage through the canal. A lecturer was brought on board to give us the history of the canal and point out its major points. He spoke slowly and clearly so that everyone could understand him. Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy sloooooooooooooooooowwwwwly.

Pizza and iced cream are very good, as are Tigre and Moretti beer.

Have not been to shows, but here that they are very good.

They have given us toiletries from Bulgaria. Surprisingly good.

We have now been in the canal for 10 hrs. Another 2 hrs to go.

The slogan of the Panamanian Canal Company is: There is no such thing as too slow.

We have a special fish buffet tonight.

More to come.

Ira

I am intrigued that you seem not to appreciate the Creme Brulee. That is my favorite dessert on all the ships -- although I will admit it's better on some than others. Depends on the chef, I suppose. (Whenever I have Creme Brulee on land I compare it to Oceania's version, and Oceania always wins.)

Lots of people love the chocolate lasagna ... as much as I love chocolate, I cannot bring myself to try that one.

Different strokes ...

Mura

Ira, I know food is very subjective but if you could comment on what you enjoyed (or did not enjoy) in the specialties, it would be much appreciated :) My apologies if I missed a comment in this thread about it but reading from a iPhone is not optimal for my old eyes. Of course, I'm happy to hear about your observations in general too so don't be shy!