6093 on regatta - Alaska Passages - deep balcony question, also age range

Bakercamp

Very excited to have 6093 on our upcoming Alaska trip on Regatta (36 days away). Just happened to be assigned this cabin, unless our travel agent knew otherwise and asked for it specifically. Learned of its coveted nature from these forums. Extra pleased bc it is going from a B1 to an A2 effective Jan 7, 2017. My question is does the deep balcony make the room darker or does the ship angling back above take care of that? (Is maybe the last foot or two uncovered?

Also, my partner and I are going with the fam. He and I are 30 and 38, I'm guessing we will be the youngest ish aboard save for my niece who is 5? Or do summer Alaska cruises draw a more mixed crowd?

Stan had an Aunt who adored sailing in those center aft cabins, particularly if he and I were in the adjoining owners Suite. In the photo below, your cabin would be just above the name of the ship, as it will be on the Regatta.

b_133759.jpg

The verandas of 6090/6093 are not as deep as the corresponding forward cabins on deck 6 (6000 and 6001)

005847.jpg

but they are about double the size of the "side of the ship" verandas in which the depth from the door to the railing is four feet max (and this photo is of a penthouse!). At the stern, you may expect your veranda to be eight to ten feet deep, the variance coming from how much of the area adjacent to the angled railing you consider to be usable.

004513.jpg

The overhang of the deck above is about three feet, and because the balcony railings at the stern are solid rather than open, the aft cabins can be dark.

As I recall, Aunt Joan left the drapes open 24/7.

As far as average age on an Alaska cruise is concerned, my understanding is that they are deliberately keeping the Alaska cruises shorter than what has been "Oceania's norm" in order to get younger people to sample the Line, so you may just get lucky. :D

Please report back, afterwards, and tell us how you did and what you thought!

Until then, DON'T wish your life away, but DO enjoy every minute of the planning. Getting there is half the fun! ;)

Edited by StanandJim

We were in 6093 on the Nautica last year for our Med cruise ... loved it. Personally did not feel the cabin was dark, but I'm not one to turn on a whole lot of lights when at home, so my perception might be skewed. Loved the balcony and spent every waking moment when we were on the ship out there. The only downside was the lack of a lounge chair -- there is enough room for one, but it was a "B" cabin so my request for one was not accommodated.

We so enjoyed the cabin (veranda really), that we booked its twin 6090 for next year's world cruise on Insignia. I'm hoping O will accommodate my request for a lounge chair or at least give me a footstool :-)

Edited by h2so4

We were in 6093 on the Nautica last year for our Med cruise ... loved it. Personally did not feel the cabin was dark, but I'm not one to turn on a whole lot of lights when at home, so my perception might be skewed. Loved the balcony and spent every waking moment when we were on the ship out there. The only downside was the lack of a lounge chair -- there is enough room for one, but it was a "B" cabin so my request for one was not accommodated.

We so enjoyed the cabin (veranda really), that we booked its twin 6090 for next year's world cruise on Insignia. I'm hoping O will accommodate my request for a lounge chair or at least give me a footstool :-)

As an alternative have you considered a blow up footstool?

As an alternative have you considered a blow up footstool?

Might consider one for the RTW ... but I still think that if NCL has loungers in their non-suite aft cabins (no special request needed), Oceania should definitely do it since it is a more upscale cruiseline. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.