Single Smoking Thread on the HAL Board

Host Walt

Should we adopt a policy of just one "stuck" smoking thread?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we adopt a policy of just one "stuck" smoking thread?

• Yes, absolutely. It's a great idea.
    • I'm OK with it for now but would like to see how it works.
    • Not a big fan of that idea but will go along.
    • No. That's a bad idea and I cannot go along with it.

So where should we post for now, until a decision has been made?

I wanted to just quickly post to thank everyone for their help after we booked an aft balcony on the Westerdam for the cruise we took a few weeks back. We were worried about smoke and being unable to use the balcony but ended up being fine.

I wanted to also ask a new question because we're going to be on the Statendam for a month. While we have a window cabin now, we were trying to decide whether to splurge for a balcony if the prices were to drop. We can't stand smoke but love being outside. Does the demographic or itinerary impact how many smokers there are? What about on balconies vs the promenade deck? If we want to take a jog or stroll, will we be out of luck?

Yes, I know how to use the search bar. Yes, I've read the past posts. No, I'm not on a soapbox asking for a policy change. Yes, I'm expecting some " :roll eyes: " from those who don't like using the forums as a venue for answering questions and helping people make the most of their cruises...thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by DesertPesce7751

A decision was made; see above.

The single smoking thread is here: This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

It was also decided to make it an "unstuck" thread because many people don't even look at "stickys."

Thanks for your help. I'm wondering, though, if my question is appropriate in that thread. The whole thread is an opinion discussion on smoking policy. I'm asking a logistical question about something.

Do I have your permission to post a new thread about it? I'm not asking about policy or opinion--simply qualitative and quantitive data and people's experiences so we can make the best cabin choice for our November cruise. I could perhaps put a disclaimer in my post about it *not* being a policy or debate post? I really need this question answered because it's, in all honesty, a $6,000 question.

Thanks for your help. I'm wondering, though, if my question is appropriate in that thread. The whole thread is an opinion discussion on smoking policy. I'm asking a logistical question about something.

Do I have your permission to post a new thread about it? I'm not asking about policy or opinion--simply qualitative and quantitive data and people's experiences so we can make the best cabin choice for our November cruise. I could perhaps put a disclaimer in my post about it *not* being a policy or debate post? I really need this question answered because it's, in all honesty, a $6,000 question.

This thread is for everything concerning smoking. If you start another thread for your question we will back to where we were before.

Post your question in the designated thread - This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies

As long as your post is associated with cruising and not a clinical or political discussion about smoking, you'll be fine.

I wanted to just quickly post to thank everyone for their help after we booked an aft balcony on the Westerdam for the cruise we took a few weeks back. We were worried about smoke and being unable to use the balcony but ended up being fine.

We "husband and I" do smoke a cigar or two at night. Never do it during the day. Mainly before diner or late at night. In all the cruises we have been on except two times did anyone ever come out on the balcony when we were also out. And we asked if the smoke bother them. These people it didn't bother them. If you ask politely I'm sure your "neighbor" can or you can agree on different times to come out. But we are not cigarette smokers. Hubby smokes more then I do and is cutting back on the nights he smokes. So on our next cruise there may be nights he doesn't even smoke or we will smoke in an port.

I wanted to also ask a new question because we're going to be on the Statendam for a month. While we have a window cabin now, we were trying to decide whether to splurge for a balcony if the prices were to drop. We can't stand smoke but love being outside. Does the demographic or itinerary impact how many smokers there are? What about on balconies vs the promenade deck? If we want to take a jog or stroll, will we be out of luck?

Never been on a cruise that long, so don't know the demorgraphics for sure. But I would think ALL retire people to be able to take that time off. We work for our selves but don't think we will ever take a trip that long. That being said I do know a lot of older people that still like to have cigars or people that never could quite cigarettes. But I know for us we would not be smoking cigars that much maybe twice a week. At least on a trip that long. There is no way my husband would smoke cigars every night. We don't do that at home so wouldn't do it on a cruise that long.

Edited by Kudos2Fly

Don't know how you can call this a smoking tread, it seems like page after page is taken up with the people saying for the most part it's a good idea. If someone has a question about smoking it will get lost in the crowd.

So, do we post smoking related comments here or on the other thread which seems to disappear from page 1 on a regular basis?

I'm totally confused as to how this works.

The other thread (This Thread Is To Be Used For All Discussions About HAL's On Board Smoking Policies) is where the smoking topic is discussed. This thread is just to explain the single thread approach.

Edited by Host Walt